WTB talegate handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well last weekend my tailgate stopped working. I dug into it and where the handle hinges inside the tailgate it snapped in 2. So I need a new pull handle for a 1976 FJ55.

thanks,

Yep, those handles are relatively weak. I pull up on the handle but I only pull on the tailgate when I'm trying to open it. I'm afraid if I pull on the handle to open the gate as well as unlatch it, that I'll snap the handle.

Still available from the dealer...$73.25...part number 69230-90352

(edit: 'Cruiser lore indicates that the original handles broke often and easily. The design changed slightly, perhaps metallurgy was improved and the above part number supersedes the original handle part number. )

Still available from the dealer...$73.25...part number 69230-90352

(edit: 'Cruiser lore indicates that the original handles broke often and easily. The design changed slightly, perhaps metallurgy was improved and the above part number supersedes the original handle part number. )

If that is different and better made I would like to hear about it and maybe see a photo if someone buys it.

here is the 90352 handle. the only difference I have seen is in the fact that the early handles had removable pins, whereas this had peened over no removable pins.
tailgate handle.JPG

Alls I can add is that when I broke my first handle, 20 years ago, It looked like very cheap pot metal inside...Replaced it and have not broken another.
I was thinking they upgraded the material it was made out of when they saw how many were breaking.

If that is different and better made I would like to hear about it and maybe see a photo if someone buys it.

here is the 90352 handle. the only difference I have seen is in the fact that the early handles had removable pins, whereas this had peened over no removable pins.
attachment.php

here's a pic of my busted ass one. It looks like the main difference (beside the non removable hinge pins) is there is more material where the handle hinges. Where mine broke.
Busted_handle_FJ55.jpg

So you found one of these and or Toyota Still has them...you know, the one with more material? An earlier thread on these said there were no more at Toyota?

No I haven't found one. I haven't had the $72.25 to order one from Toyota so I haven't even called CDan. I was more hoping someone on here would have an extra lying around.

Being poor sucks. :sigh:

I do have just one spare handle...still in my spare tailgate...don't know if it's original or new/improved...

I do have just one spare handle...still in my spare tailgate...don't know if it's original or new/improved...

Would you be willing to part with it? And if so for how much? ;)

Those are hard questions...I'd like to have a spare of everything. But if yours is broke, you need it more than I do. So, yes, I will part with it. How much? That's even harder. If you came by my garage I'd probably trade it for beer, that's just how Pighead's garage works with locals. But if I have to pull the part, and find a box, and walk it down to the UPS store, It should cost you big bucks. But you say you're poor...such a quandary...make me an offer. Or come by. and bring beer.

Would you be willing to part with it? And if so for how much? ;)

Those are hard questions...I'd like to have a spare of everything. But if yours is broke, you need it more than I do. So, yes, I will part with it. How much? That's even harder. If you came by my garage I'd probably trade it for beer, that's just how Pighead's garage works with locals. But if I have to pull the part, and find a box, and walk it down to the UPS store, It should cost you big bucks. But you say you're poor...such a quandary...make me an offer. Or come by. and bring beer.

lol I like Pighead's outlook on life!!!

I'm currently at the place where my ass gets big and I surf MUD I.E. work...

So if you don't mind I would like to discuss said option with the wife and come up with a price and PM you. As she is the keeper of the :doh:

Sure, you go ahead and ask your wife if it's OK to buy a Pigpart...Nobody's gonna laugh.
I'll wait here.

Sure, you go ahead and ask your wife if it's OK to buy a Pigpart...Nobody's gonna laugh.
I'll wait here.

:lol::crybaby::lol::crybaby::lol::crybaby::lol::crybaby::lol::crybaby:
:rolleyes: Who me laugh :meh: I just do it and then well, :idea: don' say nuthin.

But then his wife is on the list sharing while my wife is on the phone to her mother :ban:

Eric Ellis;3225354 But then his wife is on the list sharing while my wife is on the phone to her mother :ban:[/QUOTE said:
:whoops: And there goes the rest of my life...wife just looked over my shoulder. get the :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom