Wrenching Wednesday Updates: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As much as I really want to go to the relic run this year, if I had to choose, I'd choose GSMTR………?but I'm going to both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My electrical problems appear to have come down to one component... the alternator. I’m not saying replacing it is the hardest thing I’ve done to this truck, but I will say it took longer than I expected. Also, it was a great learning experience and it will take a fraction of the time next time. The 80 is trail ready once again.

View attachment 1617566

I ended up going with the High Output Sequoia option when some on the boards was making the adaptor plates..

I ended up going with the High Output Sequoia option when some on the boards was making the adaptor plates..
I would've been down for a higher output alternator, but the Mean Green in the 100 had a very disappointingly short life. It lasted about 15 months with a 12 month warranty. I know it's not the same situation, but after that, I just wanted to go with a stock unit. The one I just pulled managed to last about 11 years.

Ouch....

Got some LEDs installed on the hundy

image.jpeg

Nice, I was considering replacing mine with HIR lights - the brights for the fog, low, and hi beams; did you compare the LEDs with other lights?

A big thanks again to David for his help with my brake job a couple weekends ago. We put new EBC brakes on my front end and rebuilt calipers/EBC pads on the freshly turned rear discs a couple weekends ago. It's amazing what a difference it made on my braking! Definitely recommend EBCs....
81BrakeJob1.jpg
81BrakeJob1.jpg
81Brakejob2.jpg
81Brakejob3.jpg
81Brakejob2.jpg

I installed a Trail Tailor tow point on the 100 this morning. Unfortunately I was only able to use one of the pair of shackle mounts because the passenger recovery hook was bent and the frame was bent too. I was unable to remove the bolts on the passenger side so I have one of the pair for sale on the for sale thread.
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg

Working on the Chick'n a little bit more.
Installed a new (mechanical) fuel pump, new altenator, and a gear reduction starter.
After a bit of tuning, I believe it's ready to take out on the road. There are 2 vehicles in the way, so I will move them tomorrow and take it for a test drive.

I took it around the block a couple of times, seems like it will be ok now.
Time for tags and insurance now.
The title is still from NC, where Rudy (@greenseaman 's brother ) bought it. Shouldn't be an issue, though.

273A9291-28F6-4F64-A165-BE05A11BA792.jpeg
4417F2AB-F7F9-4B6A-9F4A-9BE9FCD024E3.jpeg
36BDBBC1-AB7F-48E8-8942-02F1615D6087.jpeg
Got my cargo carpet and mats put in! Not a really big deal until you realize this is probably the cleanest this 4Runner has been since I bought it! thanks Beau Diddly for picking it up for me! Now it has a pretty fresh interior thanks to Matt, Jeremy and Tim! Thanks guys!

After rebuilding the front axle of @RickM 's 62, I put mine in the garage and swapped the headlights. After coming back from the Relic Run late, it was time.
Also thought I'd check the wheel bearings, when I pulled the locking hub the gear was in a dozen pieces.
I'll get it fixed before GSMTR, though.

20180512_202002.jpg
20180512_201630.jpg
20180512_193642.jpg
20180512_193642.jpg

Just a little difference in the headlights.
Hopefully I can get it off the lift tomorrow, the seal blew and it quit going up on the left side.
Rebuild kits are ordered.

Just a little difference in the headlights.
Hopefully I can get it off the lift tomorrow, the seal blew and it quit going up on the left side.
Rebuild kits are ordered.

Sounds like a lift HAMOM is in order

Checking everything on the 62 before the trip Wed., and all of my noise isn't tires, I have a bad wheel bearing up front...guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow night. Seems some water got in up front???
Auto Zone has them and the seal. Only take an hour to get it back together.

I wouldn't mind some help, the cylinder rebuild shouldn't be bad, its just getting them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom