Wrenching Wednesday Updates: (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the radiator and hoses swapped in the Chick'n yesterday. great oil pressure, lots of smoke for a while, but that seemed to settle down after a bit. The temp gauge doesn't work, and the gas gauge only worked for a little while. Alt is charging well. I drove it down the street, figured out I was in 4low, got it in 4 hi, but it won't go to 2hi. brakes are sticking, also.

Still a long way to go..........................................................................................
Huzzah! Do you have drums all the way around or discs up front?

It's disc up front, the left front caliper is sticking, and I only have 1/2 pedal.

Got the 80 box prepped and ready for making the bolt holes. Took a wild guess on the 80 series intermediate steering shaft being long enough and turns out it is! Hopefully I don't run into any road blocks...

IMG_0335.JPG

I put the Chick'n up on the lift yesterday...some rust, but not too bad in most places. there are a couple of spots I will have to repair, though.
I took the pressure washer to the underside, lots of dirt, grease, and rust scale.
I'll let it dry and see how it looks tomorrow.
I didn't realize the floor was so dirty...It's a lot cleaner now, too.

The 80 is getting really close to having a knuckle rebuild performed. Whether I want to or not.

Had to replace the PS pump and Alternator this week; and I've got to check the charge on the AC system. Gotta get it ready for Gman before he heads to high school.

Need it to cool off.

The 80 is getting really close to having a knuckle rebuild performed. Whether I want to or not.

Had to replace the PS pump and Alternator this week; and I've got to check the charge on the AC system.
Jonsey has the best video for the axle rebuild. One thing I learned from it is to slather the felt ring with as much grease as possible. This will prevent it from wicking moisture.

This week, I replaced the 3rd alternator on 3 different vehicles in 3 months, and none was my 80.

Jonsey has the best video for the axle rebuild. One thing I learned from it is to slather the felt ring with as much grease as possible. This will prevent it from wicking moisture.

This week, I replaced the 3rd alternator on 3 different vehicles in 3 months, and none was my 80.

Beau "Alternator" Diddly....

His tlc doesn't. ..but his brush guard sure does......

Bought a gallon of "ospho" and a spray bottle and sprayed the entire bottom of the chicken.
Body, frame, springs, axles, backing plates, oil pan, About everything that had any rust on it.
I'll check it tomorrow and hopefully paint some of it.

The Chick'n wasn't running right, felt like it had a skip. I did a compression check and had between 150 and 155 psi on each cylinder. #2 plug was fouled, the rest were sooty black. The THC carb is going soon, should help that issue. I just have to figure out the air cleaner for it.

The Chick'n wasn't running right, felt like it had a skip. I did a compression check and had between 150 and 155 psi on each cylinder. #2 plug was fouled, the rest were sooty black. The THC carb is going soon, should help that issue. I just have to figure out the air cleaner for it.

I got a JT Outfitters (they are up in NC, right?) adapter ring and it will work with the Weber air filter.... you could do that as a last result, or search classifieds to see if you can find a stock air filter Assy.

I looked at them and may go that way, I'm just looking at my options

Yes, I won one at Logans Run last year.

Looking good David!

Welp, it wasn't Wednesday, but I added a trans cooler to the 81 this past weekend. I had to work around the factory pull-down shade that covers the AC radiator, but I think it turned out OK.
IMG_7262.JPG
IMG_7263.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom