Wrenching Wednesday Updates: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally have the axle housings back under the 80. Still have a long way to go. I'm going to temp assemble the knuckles and rears to get it rollable so i can get it back outside and up on stands as high as possible to degrease and pressure was the underside and frame rails so i can under coat the body and por-15 the rails. Probably will pull the fuel tank down as well since the bands and shackles are in bad shape. I'll try the blaster but may have to order new ones.
:popcorn:

Let us know how that turns out! POR-15... Goes without saying that it is all about the prep work with this stuff. The rest sounds like it is still a :banana: job, but if you need help, let us know, okay? The club is overdue for a trip up that way.

Yeah seems that way I had the entire under carriage bead blasted but due to time and that is was wet and it was out door blasted i had to do the normal prep as well. I'm hoping I did muck up and waste alot of $ on it. I will say the top coat I am not impressed by as denatured alcohol will pull color from multi week cured top coat, though the base coat seem mostly impervious. Thanks for the wrenching offer, might have to take ya'll up on it in a bit. It would cool to meet everyone as well.

Went over to Randy's and changed out my front wheel bearings.

IMG_4551.JPG

New calipers, rotors and pads. And a new brake booster.

430BF726-9694-4AD2-A54A-2EAA5D073970.jpg

Something a little wrong with the old stuff.

0F1A93E9-EB9F-4E62-B70F-CC3EDC9CBE22.jpg

Dude, you use your brakes way too much...

Dude, you use your brakes way too much...

Have you seen Savannah drivers? :bang:

Seriously though, stuck caliper equals destroyed brake pad which equals destroyed rotor which equals me spending a bunch of money to fix it.

I did go ahead and upgrade to 100 series pads while I was at it though. Stops on a dime now.

Have you seen Savannah drivers? :bang:

Seriously though, stuck caliper equals destroyed brake pad which equals destroyed rotor which equals me spending a bunch of money to fix it.

I did go ahead and upgrade to 100 series pads while I was at it though. Stops on a dime now.

100 series pads with 80 series calipers? They work together?

AFAIK they do, just swap right in.
Larger pad surface area.

I discovered this as I was buying a set of front 80 pads, so it'll be a while before I switch to 100 pads. Here's a recent discussion about it. @JohnVee and other ONSC'ers have been doing it, they're holding out on you Jeremy! :flipoff2:
Thanks for this, Tim. The whole thread was a quick and informative discussion.

Keep in mind you can also get the 100 series TRD pads to make it even better. I have a set in the garage.

I discovered this as I was buying a set of front 80 pads, so it'll be a while before I switch to 100 pads. Here's a recent discussion about it. @JohnVee and other ONSC'ers have been doing it, they're holding out on you Jeremy! :flipoff2:

For my Wrenching Wednesday, I was drilling, pulling & tacking wire.

IMG_1953.JPG

View attachment 1414793 I worked on the Chick'n a little today.
still a long way to go.
You need that bezel!!! Although I prefer the look of the OEM headlights, if you plan to drive at night, you really need LED's... I almost bought the Lifetime LED's, but decided to go with the CityRacer lights. The difference is yuuuge! Something to think about down the road. Or immediately if you don't have working headlights.

Since I have the notorious rust spot below my window on the back door, its far cheaper to replace the door with a donor than patch/paint the hole. Luckily, I have a color match donor, but serious clear coat peel at the top. The other downside is the donor is a '91, so I'm having to replace the wiring harness and every component. I wasn't able to unplug the connectors until I found on the 80 forum you have to pull down the corner of the headliner...just what I wanted to do. I'll also loose my center brake light, but I'm considering do some drilling and mounting, but the jury is still out on the importance of a center brake light.

On another note, I think I'm single handedly bringing down home values in the neighborhood by doing driveway auto repair. I'm holding out until they go-fund-me a garage behind the house. I can be bought.

IMG_1314.JPG

Nope... Got everything back together only for it to do the same exact thing. Ohmed out the injector wires and got 2ohms to ground on #6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom