Would you strap a turbo kit to a 1hz with 700 k km's + on the odo ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used to ask myself the same question 7 or so years ago when the vehicle was at 600 k km's and never could really resolve the issue in my head.

According to the people at Berrima Diesel, if the motor does not have any blow-by it's ok to turbo it, but I'm a little hesitant due to the high life and potential wear factors.

So would you or would you not fit a turbo kit to a 1hz with a lot of km's on it? The idea is to increase airflow into the motor to assist it under load for more efficient combustion of the fuel input, not to create a 0 to 60 2.5 tonne weapon or a 3.5 tonne caravan towing road nazi. ;)

What would be your parameters?

Last edited:
Yes absolutely, and if it blows for whatever reason swap another cheap 1hz in. They aren't worth much these days, at least in Aus.

Thx for the vote of confidence. One good thing with 1hz is they're everywhere, as are parts for them.

Now the perennial question - which turbo kit(s) to consider? Berrima Diesel seems to use DTS kits with a Mitsubishi turbo instead of the factory CT-26 that a 1hdt motor has.

There are plenty of suppliers of similar kits because it's a big deal here to consider turbo-ing the rugged 1hz toyota motors here.

I wouldn't be looking to replace the existing injector pump as it doesn't have any leaks and was fitted at 510 k km's but I will be replacing the injectors regardless as I have a full new set.

Last edited:
Thx for the vote of confidence. One good thing with 1hz is they're everywhere, as are parts for them.

Now the perennial question - which turbo kit(s) to consider? Berrima Diesel seems to use DTS kits with a Mitsubishi turbo instead of the factory CT-26 that a 1hdt motor has.

There are plenty of suppliers of similar kits because it's a big deal here to consider turbo-ing the rugged 1hz toyota motors here.

I wouldn't be looking to replace the existing injector pump as it doesn't have any leaks and was fitted at 510 k km's but I will be replacing the injectors regardless as I have a full new set.
I had the DTS kit on a 1hz and I didn't like it if I'm honest. It's not a good turbo for the 1hz, builds boost late and I found it had no more in the top end compared to the CT26.

@mudgudgeon suggestion of the FTE turbo is a really good starting point imho.

To be honest, I personally would leave the 1HZ N/A as Toyota intended. Its greatest strength is its simplicity. Chucking a turbo on defeats the purpose IMO. I also feel, and this is subjective, but if you're not happy with the response when you put your foot down in the 1HZ without a turbo, you're not going to be satisfied with the results of putting a turbo on if it's kept within a "safe" level, and if you push it beyond that, stuff will start to break.

If I was looking for a turbo, I'd save up my pennies and get a factory 1HD-FT. I believe the 1HZ is a champion of reliability. I think the 1HD-FT is about as good as it'll get keeping to those roots of reliability while trying to get a bit more oomph, and from that platform you can start your mods (intercooler, exhaust, etc) to push it further than you get in stock form, knowing you've got some headroom to experiment.

All this is just my preference though, it depends what matters more to you. I didn't buy an 80 to win drag races, and I've never found the 1HZ leaving me wanting for torque when I needed it. That being the case, I prefer to keep it stock and well maintained.

if you're not happy with the response when you put your foot down in the 1HZ without a turbo, you're not going to be satisfied with the results of putting a turbo on if it's kept within a "safe" level, and if you push it beyond that, stuff will start to break.

Putting a turbo on my hzj105 completely changed the way it drove. Absolutely night and day.

Thanks for the honest opinions. I'm trying to buy a house at present to try and stop renting, then the 80's diesel engine future gets considered. Agree with 1hz being reliable due to simplicity. I was considering a turbo kit because it's much cheaper than any 1hdt or 1hdft source (import or otherwise) and I can do all the work myself apart perhaps from any adjustments to the injector pump to fine tune it.

I do see the validity of the 1hdt or 1hdft route, and that is actually the number 1 most common upgrade path for 80's and 75's with 1hz's here. Esp 1hdt's as like 1hz's the Aus market is flooded with them. 1hdft not so much but still a lot here.

One thing I don't understand though - turbo'ing seems to have two schools - main one being as much power as possible and the other one just seems to be making an improvement to make it better without going hardcore on getting as much power as possible. Why do you have to aim for as much power as possible if you don't need that? Isn't 'just making it better' a valid goal too?

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand though - turbo'ing seems to have two schools - main one being as much power as possible and the other one just seems to be making an improvement to make it better without going hardcore on getting as much power as possible. Why do you have to aim for as much power as possible if you don't need that? Isn't 'just making it better' a valid goal too?

You could read things differently as two schools being,

Old school.
Minimal boost, more fuel, repurposed readily available old tech turbos, fitted with adapter plates and patched into existing exhaust.
Pyrometer post turbo, (if at all) cause it's easy to weld a threaded bung into exhaust pipe
Intercooling to try to stop overheating caused by low boost and over-fueling.
The idea that boost kills the engines.

New school.
More boost, 15-20 ish psi. because more boost equals more air, more oxygen available to make better use of the increased fuel.
New tech, more efficient turbo, designed for 4.2 litre diesel.
Efficient turbine design requires less fuel to get them to spool up.
New 3" free flowing exhaust to reduce the exhaust manifold pressure required to turn the turbo. No back pressure in the exhaust to restrict gasses escaping through the turbine.
Install boost compensator on the fuel pump to give better ramped control of fueling in off idle/ on boost conditions.
Pyrometer in the exhaust manifold before the turbo for truer readings.
Understanding that heat in the combustion process, heat in the head is what kills them. Tune appropriately to manage heat in the head.
Intercooler to increase air density, and improve efficient combustion of fuel, more complete fuel burn, less fuel required to make power.

Or,
Third school,
Go silly! High boost, if she dies, it was a wild ride while it lasted! 🤪

Turbo choice, and appropriate supporting modifications, and sensible tuning are the key.

Simpson off-road engineering makes an adaptor for the stock 1hz manifold so you can use it with a ct26. They can also supply oil and water lines too.

I may or may not have a kit sitting on my bench.

Ok thanks - didn't know about that. Is a factory CT-26 'better' than a non OEM turbo kit? What aftermarket turbo's are based on the Toyota CT-26 product?

Last edited:
Ok thanks - didn't know about that. Is a factory CT-26 'better' than a non OEM turbo?

How long is a piece of string?

Is OEM string better than any other non OEM string?

CT26 is 40 year old technology.

It will still work just fine, but there's other options that are more efficient.

More efficient meaning less fuel needed to drive the turbo. Less fuel burnt for the same power output, less heat in the combustion cycle.

Well, better is relative, as muddy sorta said. Its probably used/used up, but its likely cheaper? Really depends on the route you take. But yeah, lots of turbos are loosely based on the CT26.

I'm looking at forced induction to combat the altitude I live at. I've been sitting on an 1HDT turbo and other factory bits for almost a year while I get everything else optimal. I like OEM in this case because its pretty much bolt on, once I adapt the manifold. A new OEM air cleaner lid, an OEM plenum, and some hoses/clamps. My plan is to add enough boost to be able to turn the fuel back up to what is stock at sea level, while maintaining current EGT's and (non) smoke levels. Currently I'm running super lean for day to day driving at 3600 feet and above. (I did add an HAC to the top of the pump).

Turbo additions are about as polarizing as oil or tire choice, so look at your specific needs/wants, filter through the opinions, and do the best you can for your rig. But my advice (remember what they say about opinions) is to get it running as good as it can n/a first, before ramming any more air down its throat.

New school.
More boost, 15-20 ish psi. because more boost equals more air, more oxygen available to make better use of the increased fuel.
New tech, more efficient turbo, designed for 4.2 litre diesel.
Efficient turbine design requires less fuel to get them to spool up.
New 3" free flowing exhaust to reduce the exhaust manifold pressure required to turn the turbo. No back pressure in the exhaust to restrict gasses escaping through the turbine.
Install boost compensator on the fuel pump to give better ramped control of fueling in off idle/ on boost conditions.
Pyrometer in the exhaust manifold before the turbo for truer readings.
Understanding that heat in the combustion process, heat in the head is what kills them. Tune appropriately to manage heat in the head.
Intercooler to increase air density, and improve efficient combustion of fuel, more complete fuel burn, less fuel required to make power.
this ^^
and take care of all deferred maintenance/'when im in there' things like water pump, injectors, complete head re+re ( you will find things), belts hoses, cooling system optimization, glow maintenance, air box flow, possible bottom end bearings.
You must have a complete and comprehensive attitude when changing the operating conditions of the engine to have it be 'reliable'
Dont waste time with slapping an old tech turbo on, buy the best one you can afford even if you arent trying to launch the truck to the moon.

I was considering a turbo kit because it's much cheaper than any 1hdt or 1hdft source (import or otherwise) and I can do all the work myself
I would go ahead with it if you can afford to rebuild it or buy a factory turbo engine sometime in the future. The truth is, your 1HZ's best days are behind it, but if you take it easy, you might get a few more years out of it.
Some diesel shops demand a compression test before they will fit a turbo.
I see you are also trying to buy a house, unless you are a Lotto winner, you probably need to prioritise your funds into a roof over your head.

True and I got finance pre-approval yesterday morning then got gazumped in the afternoon with one final buyer viewing at 1 pm, making offer at 3 pm and owner accepted that offer at 6 pm. I've rented the house for just over 5 yrs and had been trying to get finance pre-approval ever since house was put up for sale in June.

I'm def compression testing the motor as soon as the kit I've ordered arrives.

I've had people say that after 300 k km's you're running a significant risk turbo-ing a 1hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom