Worth doing blue hub fan clutch mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry i've search through the forum but i just need to get a few quick answer specific to my condition.

So i'm about to install a new blue fan clutch in my 93. Im in the the Bay Area in CA so the temp could be up to 100 with not much humidity. Not doing to much 'hard' driving up moutains but occassionally maybe up Tahoe. My question is is it worth it for me to change it to a higher wt oil? If so, what wt considering my climate? Thx.

YES!!!!!! not hard at all use 15 or 20k silicon diff oil

I have my untouched clutch fan and it works great, many trips to the rubicon loaded with 800+ pounds of people and cargo no issues I'm in the sac area

Worth it IMHO. I went w/ 10k and have good.

I have had good luck with it.
I also had a new radiator installed and the hoses replaced so hard to tell.
I believe it makes a big difference in the towing though.
Just my .02

Worth it IMO. Running 10K fluid in both 80's and have been thinking about jumping up to 20K to see if it'll improve performance.

Yes, if it's not yet installed, it's an easy job. Blue hubs need ~20k to work well. They move some serious air when modified.:cool:

It gets 100 in the bay?

I have a factory clutch fan on 288,000 miles and need seen the needle move past the middle once . Even in 100+ weather.

You could have saved the $$ and just replaced the fluid in the original fan hub with the appropriate thickness silicone. I'll admit I too fell into that trap before I realized just replacing the fluid would have done the trick.

IMHO not worth it IF the rest of your system is in good shape. They work fine in Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Iraq, etc., why not here? Just my $.02. Ned

2 years ago I installed a new blue hub fan clutch in our 92. We took the cruiser to high altitude offroading pulling a loaded military trailer. Engine temps got up into the 75% range. Last year, changed the fluid to 15K and went on the same trip and temps never spiked and stayed at the halfway mark for the entire trip. Changing the fluid on a new blue hub worked for me.

2 years ago I installed a new blue hub fan clutch in our 92.

If your 92 is a 3FE then you installed the wrong fan clutch for that motor. The "blue hub" units are for the 1FZ-FE motor and are part number 16210-66020. The 3FE fan clutch is part number 16210-61160. I believe it has a green hub, but I'm not certain.

If you are using the stock temp gauge, it's nothing more than an idiot light. The research RavenTai did showed there is about 60 degrees of temp change without needle movement.

... the gauge centers from about 170°F to about 230°F ...

Excellent point and one that many either don't know or forget. If you have lived with and are used to stock gauge, be prepared for a lot more needle movement if you do RT's gauge mod. I'm still trying to get used to it, after a couple of years! It really :eek: increases the "pucker factor" on long climbs in the summer.

As to the OP's question, is it worth modding the blue hub clutch - Yes, definitely!!! I started with 10K and have recently upped it to (approx) 25K since I'll be doing a lot of towing. The higher viscosity has not hurt my performance or mpg.

If your 92 is a 3FE then you installed the wrong fan clutch for that motor. The "blue hub" units are for the 1FZ-FE motor and are part number 16210-66020. The 3FE fan clutch is part number 16210-61160. I believe it has a green hub, but I'm not certain.

Would you happen to know the differences between the two? The original one was a green hub and I purchased the blue hub because of all the comments here about it. I assumed it was a newer more upgraded version for the 1FZ-FE motor which would be better for the older, less hp 3FE. Anyway, all that matters now is that it works perfectly with the 15K cst fluid in it.

norcalsvx said:
It gets 100 in the bay?

Haha east bay it does. 102 in concord easy.

IMHO not worth it IF the rest of your system is in good shape. They work fine in Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Iraq, etc., why not here? Just my $.02. Ned

The US clutches are filled with light weight fluid to goose gas mileage by .00001 MPG. The ones in the middle east likely have heavier fluid out of the box.

Would you happen to know the differences between the two?

No idea. However I think of these things as a "system" rather than a collection of parts. From the weight of the oil and design of the fan clutch to the shape and pitch of the fan to the shape of the fan shroud to the radiator. It's an engineered system in my mind. I have never had any cooling system issues with OEM parts. Even in extreme heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom