Wobbly at high speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All I'm going to point out is that the bushings are now 22+ years old if they are the OEM ones installed during the manufacture of the rig.

That alone should tell you something and guide your decision.

All I'm going to point out is that the bushings are now 22+ years old if they are the OEM ones installed during the manufacture of the rig.

That alone should tell you something and guide your decision.

Based on your initial concern / symptoms I would agree with @ramangain and my earlier comments about focusing on sway bar links and cushion and other handling components rather than a wheel balance issue.

Sounds like already notices your rears are shot, buy Toyota OEM if you have the extra few bucks, if not try to find a decent aftermarket option, don't just throw the cheapest part you can find on there.

Next up would be to inspect your front sway bar cushions and links, may be as simple as getting all of that freshened up for a better ride.

Oh, and check the obvious safety stuff as well. Tire pressure, wheel lug nuts , etc.

So, what bushings do you recommend?
The bushings are a pain to remove/replace, and to me, my time was worth more than the cost of replacement control arms, but if you choose to replace the bushings, I'd look at Cruiser Outfitters site:

The bushings are a pain to remove/replace, and to me, my time was worth more than the cost of replacement control arms, but if you choose to replace the bushings, I'd look at Cruiser Outfitters site:

Ah, I thought he was talking about sway bar links / cushions.

My bad

@Mackeath how can you tell they are bad, are they visibly worn or do they have play in them with the rig on the ground? I was thinking about inspecting mine as well.

Mine are visibly just worn as can be. And this fits with all my symptoms and the alignment guys said they are bad.

is just doing the bushings that difficult? If I rent the press machine it go by and use someone’s? It is quite a savings.

As for buying Toyota, I don’t think I’m going to have the vehicle more than another 20 or 30 thousand miles. So I think the aftermarket will work.

Mine are visibly just worn as can be. And this fits with all my symptoms and the alignment guys said they are bad.

is just doing the bushings that difficult? If I rent the press machine it go by and use someone’s? It is quite a savings.

As for buying Toyota, I don’t think I’m going to have the vehicle more than another 20 or 30 thousand miles. So I think the aftermarket will work.
Instead of spending my time typing my experience in, here is someone else's post that duplicates my experience:

Ball joints shot - tie rod end boots torn also. What else? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ball-joints-shot-tie-rod-end-boots-torn-also-what-else.1244155/#post-13702434

Ok thank you. Are there any actor market arms you recommend that aren’t the insane beefy ones from Slee? I’m ok with cheap:)

Ok thank you. Are there any actor market arms you recommend that aren’t the insane beefy ones from Slee? I’m ok with cheap:)

Someone else will have to post their experience with “cheap/budget aftermarket” control arms. I only have experience with the Toyota/Lexus OE arms, and some of the “beefy” aftermarket arms.

If you’re adamant about doing this on the cheap, you might be able to chase down some OE “takeoffs”, and take your time refurbishing them. Once you’ve got all of the arms refurbished, do the swap. You could try to sell your old arms, if there’s a market for them.

Hehe ok. I think I’m going to get the bushings and replace them. My wife just did it with her 93 Bronco and had to use a torch. She seemed to have fun with it so I’m hoping for the same.
And the Toyota bushings are drastically better than aftermarket?

Ok, thank you all the issue is identified. When I had the wheels aligned we looked and it’s sure the 4 link bars in the rear. The bushings are totally worn.

So, what bushings do you recommend?

would these be good?

Ok, the Rear control arm bushings are shot? Not sway bar links? (Sway bar links easy to replace).

Yellow 8 bushings total — (green are stabilizer links)
67318CC1-77A8-4C33-B3BA-DFA504FE4E70.jpeg

I don’t see at first glance the price for OEM bushings, might not be available but FEBEST has them TAB098 and TAB097 about $15 each. Much less than replacing arms. Cruiserteq has them in kit (fronts and rear).

The bars:

BEE1902D-E9ED-40E5-8FEC-C7E46344C171.png

The bushings are a pain to remove/replace, and to me, my time was worth more than the cost of replacement control arms
x2. I hated every minute of replacing the front control arm bushings, so much so that I just bought new arms for the rear.

Btw, if your rear control arm bushings are shot, so are the fronts...

If it's just your rear lower control arms, SPC LCAs get decent reviews and are a good bit cheaper than OEM (and much easier than replacing the bushings).

IIRC, OEM bushings aren't available from Toyota for the LCAs. I think Wit's End has figured out what genuine parts fit and sell genuine bushings (~$50/bush IIRC).

If you're planning on merely dating this truck instead of marrying, the Febest might be a good way forward.

Question, I’m looking for just the bushings and wanted to look at Toyota parts. Where do you recommend getting them? I can’t seem to find just the bushings online....

if you choose to replace the bushings, I'd look at Cruiser Outfitters site:

I’m following this thread a bit and he recommends these. Though I have no idea what the Siberian Bushings for pan hard rod are....

You should duck into the HDC Clubhouse and introduce yourself. Several locals who are good folks and good with the Hundys.

Greetings all. So today is the day. Making good progress. Question though. What is this? The little bracket is giving us problem. Looks like electric plugs into it. Dr side. We cannot remove the upper control arm until we disconnect it and that is proving difficult. What is this thing?

C907F2A8-20E4-4ECC-ABA4-3FCE7487CA66.jpeg

B5FF6DB3-DF5C-44C6-95D3-DABD09548C85.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom