WIX oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new but have used wix oil filters on many vehicles; is there an issue with wix for the 97 LC? I remember seeing something to that effect. Thanks

They are not recommended. There was an issue with some where the engine was starved of oil I believe. Other better choices available at similar prices (including toyota branded filters).

Just use Toyota and call it day. I started using Denso because I could get them of prime. My engine has developed a knock since using so I would not recommend.

Rich, friend, you opened a can of worms.

There will be nearly as many opinions as there will be posts. I've run Wix products on my vehicles for years (PN 51515 specifically on my cruisers). No particular reason for the brand other than they're widely available, usually on the shelf, and are built as well as OE products. Toyota's filter is a fine, affordable product. It's just a smaller filter, and I prefer the larger body and the increased media area that the 51515 affords.

I spent a few years in the automotive fluid filtration manufacturing game and can tell you first hand of an assembly line that made no less than 6 brands of competing oil filters. They ranged from never-run to this-is the-best. Was literally the exact same filter (quite a good one at that). Opinions and brand loyalty are hard to shake.

Stick to toyota

Its not so much brand loyalty thing here as I had run the wix 51515 until one of my best friends lost a fresh rebuilt 1fz due to the filter flaw. That was a lot of hard work and money down the drain. It wasn’t so much our impression but rather the rep that came out to assess it admitting it was faulty and then the subsequent handling of the matter by corporate. Their stance all hinged on us cutting it open instead of sending it in for analysis but the rep saw it first hand and agreed it was missing the back flow valve.

I like to use Toyota filters because they are cheap and reliable. I also like to have a receipt on hand in the event my engine grenades due to the Toyota filter failing. That doesn't seem very likely, but that's what I am doing. The filters are less than 5 bucks each, it's a no brainer to me.

I like to use Toyota filters because they are cheap and reliable. I also like to have a receipt on hand in the event my engine grenades due to the Toyota filter failing. That doesn't seem very likely, but that's what I am doing. The filters are less than 5 bucks each, it's a no brainer to me.
Thanks to all; I used a Toyota filter.

My timing chain broke on my 1997 LC, when it was repaired, not long after, I hear this clicking sound from my engine, had it shipped to Trollhole Cruisers, they diagnosed that the WIX oil filter starved the engine of oil, cost me a new engine, from this point on, I'll mainly use OEM.

I have a 3fe and can tell you the Wix and NAPA Gold/Platinum do not have a good enough drain back valve. The 3fe's filter is inverted and I would get valve train noise for 5 to 10 minutes after start up... and that was running 15w50 Mobil 1. I adjusted the valves twice to no avail. Switched to the toyota filter and all is fine. It is a shame because I previously swore by them.

Ive been using 90915-40002 for the last 2 years since the 15600 41010 went the way of the dodo and no problems at all.
Its the same diameter and a little shorter

just use Toyota filters - remember its cheaper to change your oil & filter than your engine

Order up a Case of Toyota OEM for your Finest 4WD ever Made. It would be Different if they were Expensive, but they are not. I have 4 Toyotas and I buy a 10 pk case for each and also you can get Denso Air & Cabin Filters. I buy 2-3 of each at a Time to save on Shipping from RockAuto.com. They also have a Constant 5% off Coupon that helps with the Tax. It's pretty hard to beat their Pricing. I label all my Filters with a Sharpie.
Here is the Cabinet they go in. Write on each airbox the Oil Capacity in Silver Sharpie. It's there for Life.

Land Cruiser Filter.jpg

I buy packs as well, along with the blue drain gaskets. Nice that it’s the same filter for the 1fz, 1gr & 2uz in the family.

Its not so much brand loyalty thing here as I had run the wix 51515 until one of my best friends lost a fresh rebuilt 1fz due to the filter flaw. That was a lot of hard work and money down the drain. It wasn’t so much our impression but rather the rep that came out to assess it admitting it was faulty and then the subsequent handling of the matter by corporate. Their stance all hinged on us cutting it open instead of sending it in for analysis but the rep saw it first hand and agreed it was missing the back flow valve.

Filter was deconstructed and wrong type and is not covered under warranty as stated in there warranty policy.

https://www.wixfilters.com/warranty/doc/WIXWarrantyUSEnglish04_2022.pdf

Folks, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but we really have no way knowing if the back flow valve was missing from the factory because it was cut open. Same reason WIX did not honor the warranty.

I use the Motorcraft FL-1-A. It is huge. Silicone anti-drainback valve.

I use the Motorcraft FL-1-A. It is huge. Silicone anti-drainback valve.
I started using the FL-1A on my 40 after the TEQ big filters became NLA, but haven't tried it on my 80 ... still using the YZZ filter. Pretty sure @flintknapper runs the FL-1A as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom