Wits End Turbo Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell yeah @CJK - I drove up to Truckee yesterday, 75 mph all the way up Hwy 80!
Niceeeee!!!

Now that I have my issue fixed, I feel comfortable driving it up to the mountains so I’ll be headed up to Spicer Reservoir on Saturday for a day of kayaking…hopefully it doesn’t look like a kiddie pool with the lack of rain we had this year

I need some help from the experts.

So last night on my way home, this happened. The short-term and long-term fuel trim just flatlined and the oxygen sensor voltage got stuck at 0.9 volts. This happened for a few minutes and it happened couple of times on the way home, in about a 20 minute span. I was climbing a grade and was probably around 2 - 3psi of steady boost, nothing crazy.

Any ideas what can cause this? I wonder if I need to change the AFR sensor upstream with an OEM replacement as this one is only a year old, Denso unit from amazon. No CEL came on.

1626873046500.png

Anyone seen oil start to build up post compressor?
just noticed this yesterday. Have a catch can run off the PCV. No leaks at connections. All I can think is the breather is pulling oil mist?
I had to removed the intake plumbing to install the clamp and downpipe blanket. When I removed the 90 deg bend rubber into compressor, I noticed a small amount of oil, which I tracked back to the breather tube.

However, mine was like 1-2 drops, not a whole slushee like yours.

I had to removed the intake plumbing to install the clamp and downpipe blanket. When I removed the 90 deg bend rubber into compressor, I noticed a small amount of oil, which I tracked back to the breather tube.

However, mine was like 1-2 drops, not a whole slushee like yours.
Odd. Hopefully the turbo seal didn't somehow blow already. Going to get rid of my catch can and check the PCV and see if that helps.

Odd. Hopefully the turbo seal didn't somehow blow already. Going to get rid of my catch can and check the PCV and see if that helps.

So you have a catch can between on the breather line already?

So you have a catch can between on the breather line already?
Not on the breather, on the PCV. Seemed like the better option as it's where usually you get the most oil vapor vs the breather. After talking to joey i'm wondering if my can is too restrictive and then causing most to go to the breather instead of the PCV.

Not on the breather, on the PCV. Seemed like the better option as it's where usually you get the most oil vapor vs the breather. After talking to joey i'm wondering if my can is too restrictive and then causing most to go to the breather instead of the PCV.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Maybe leave everything as it currently is, but route the breather hose into a temporary catch can. Then, you can do some testing to see how much oil is being routed through there under different conditions.

I posted up pics of similar oil wetness and how much my PCV is catching, post compressor few pages back.

I finally put down a 500+ mile road trip over the weekend to King's Canyon National Park...lots of elevation gain at elevation (3000'-7500') and the turbo made it a breeze even up the long uphill climbs with AC blasting.

I did notice a small amount of oil residue around the cap, so I'll start by ordering a new Oil Cap O-ring as @alia176 mentioned a few pages back.

I don't have a PCV Catch Can, but I noticed a bit of white smoke out the exhaust at idle when the engine was cold which I assume was blow-by. Once the engine was warm, no further issue and I did not notice it the at any point during the weekend. I'll keep my eye on it

Have a squiz at this might be of interest

I finally put down a 500+ mile road trip over the weekend to King's Canyon National Park...lots of elevation gain at elevation (3000'-7500') and the turbo made it a breeze even up the long uphill climbs with AC blasting.

I did notice a small amount of oil residue around the cap, so I'll start by ordering a new Oil Cap O-ring as @alia176 mentioned a few pages back.

I don't have a PCV Catch Can, but I noticed a bit of white smoke out the exhaust at idle when the engine was cold which I assume was blow-by. Once the engine was warm, no further issue and I did not notice it the at any point during the weekend. I'll keep my eye on it

See if you're also missing the oil cap O ring. It's a fat sucker, as in nearly 3/16" x 3/16". I got one from NAPA.

Reactions: CJK
Purchased a new oil cap, but I realized I'm probably a dum-dum for not running a catch can setup.

I purchased 2 catch cans from Amazon so I can run one on the PCV and one on the crankcase breather. For $50 in total, seems like a good insurance policy

can you link us to your catch cans? Thx.

I figured HOTTTT oil + gas do not mix well with plastic so I went for this one that's made of aluminum, has o-rings. and threaded holes for intake + output to make sure it seals.

Internal baffle system seems questionable so I bought coarse copper wool to put inside to increase surface area for cooling gas + oil.
Hose and clamps look like garbage, too so I'll use some high-quality hose. I need to measure ID on PCV and breather side but off the top of my head, it looks like 1/2" ID on breather and 3/8" ID on PCV would work.

@CJK - post pictures after you install the catch cans.

I pulled mine, figured I’ll have to clean the plenum someday, replace some evap parts, but zero maintenance on the catch can would be a preferable tradeoff.

Reactions: CJK
I just pulled the breather hose just to confirm ID and it's got the yucky stuff inside so OCC on both sides seems like the way to go.

Breather hose ID is ~13mm to 1/2" hose will work
PCV hose ID is ~9mm so 3/8" will work.

Plan is to mount
1) Breather OCC near the washer fluid bottle / coolant reservoir.
2) PCV OCC near the brake hardline junction area.

5' of 3/8" hose
5' of 1/2" hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom