Wits End Turbo Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. We jumped the diagnostic connector before setting. They’re definitely the original knock sensors.

You got a solid plan by looking for a smoke machine to see if there any leaks. I found tons of leaks and may still have one since I've been getting P0171 quite a bit lately. How is your long term fuel trim number?

Side note:
Since you're thinking of "renewing" your OEM charcoal canister, I'll give you my input. I did this and ran with it for years but always had some vapor smell on hot days or after a hard run in 4low. After the turbo went in and I sourced a smoke machine, my OEM renewed canister had leaks around the perimeter where JB weld was applied. Ordered me one from Autozone and called it done. I haven't smelled fuel vapor while wheeling in 100+ deg in UT few weeks back.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to renew the OEM canister. Just my .02.

Thanks, I'm stuffing the AC Delco can in for now and will honestly just run that until it seems like it's giving me problems likely. I'm not sure what you mean by long term fuel trim.

On leak testing...I'm also wondering if they'll show up with the motor off, or just under boost. I'm not sure how to test for that (or if I'd need to).

Thanks, I'm stuffing the AC Delco can in for now and will honestly just run that until it seems like it's giving me problems likely. I'm not sure what you mean by long term fuel trim.

On leak testing...I'm also wondering if they'll show up with the motor off, or just under boost. I'm not sure how to test for that (or if I'd need to).

long term o2 sensor reading or fuel trim is one of the parameters that you can read using most OBD-II scanning tool or an app. If your engine is sucking "un metered" air from vac leaks, then the engine tries to compensate by dumping a lot of fuel. Usually a good way to know what's going on in there! Look for youtube vids on this and it'll make sense.

long term o2 sensor reading or fuel trim is one of the parameters that you can read using most OBD-II scanning tool or an app. If your engine is sucking "un metered" air from vac leaks, then the engine tries to compensate by dumping a lot of fuel. Usually a good way to know what's going on in there! Look for youtube vids on this and it'll make sense.
And in your case it could be an exhaust leak pre O2 sensor allowing raw air to enter and get read. This tends to cause the system to over fuel .

And in your case it could be an exhaust leak pre O2 sensor allowing raw air to enter and get read. This tends to cause the system to over fuel .

excellent info, thanks Rick!

Checking back in. I've pumped tons of smoke through intake/exhaust and there are no leaks anywhere. I've swapped in a new evap can (yay no more pressurized tank), 2 knock sensors (though the ones I pulled out passed the FSM continuity test), new fuel pressure regulator as well. The fuel filter is brand new. I pulled a few plugs and they're pristine white still. Timing triple checked back to 3 at idle with the port jumped.

Here's what's happening: My timing advances from 3 up into the 20's as the RPM's go up until I get into solid boost. My timing then retards back to 3-6 at the same time as the weird delayed AFR drop in my gauge video I'm posting below. I'm getting the pre-detonation in the condition where I'm into lower boost but the AFR is sticking up in the 14's which makes sense because I assume I'm momentarily too lean. The ping goes away as soon as that abrupt AFR drop happens and doesn't come back as I continue to pull higher into boost. I think you can hear the ping on the video, but it may be that only I can because I heard it live.

What could be causing this delayed fueling? The next thing I'd go after is my injectors, but I don't want to take that much of this thing a part if that's not a likely culprit, and I'm not smart enough to figure out how a clogged injector could cause this delayed fuel dump. I do have access to 100 octane, but that doesn't seem to be anything more than a stop gap for testing.

1626241018133.png

Ok, It has been over 300 days from the date I ordered my Turbo. August 31, 2020. I am about ready to jump off a bridge. The wait is killing me. I see Joey still posting so I know he is out there, but he has been ghosting me now for months and my patience is gone. Anyone else have to wait this long?

Ok, It has been over 300 days from the date I ordered my Turbo. August 31, 2020. I am about ready to jump off a bridge. The wait is killing me. I see Joey still posting so I know he is out there, but he has been ghosting me now for months and my patience is gone. Anyone else have to wait this long?
Wait.....Wut?

Last edited:
Everyone has been waiting just as long or longer. Everyone. I’ve have posted on the turbo thread about this multiple times and I only post there about the status. Everyone goes in order. If the wait is too long then I can start the refund process.

Ok, It has been over 300 days from the date I ordered my Turbo.
300 days? That's it? I was 21 months, but some of that was my own fault for pushing my order out, and some of it was COVID's fault.

Ordered on day 1 of public orders: 4/5/19
Got 1st notification that turbo was ready: 10/16/19 (I opted to push)
Another notification that turbo was ready: 1/18/20 (I opted to push)
COVID Happened
Turbo Shipped: 1/15/21

I think the key takeaway is: COVID Happened.

the key takeaway is very few seem to care

If covid didn’t happen I’d be sitting with kits in stock, orders filled, friends alive, money in my pocket and not sitting here with regrets of ever starting this project.
I’m grateful you started this project…the turbo system is dope as ****!

I probably get s*** MPG but who cares, I love stomping on that skinny pedal and riding the wave of boost while I’ve still got my baby tires on it.

I’m channeling my inner @Ronny Grady and going full send 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom