Wiring harness question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, OTRAMM's head gasket video is amazing! That said, they pull the wiring harness up through the Intake manifold (boy they make it look so easy) But I'm stuck trying to figure out where these two groups of wiring go and where do I disconnect them? I want to pull the bottom half of the intake and take both halves to the machine shop to have them cleaned when I take the head. Any advice would totally help. Thanks in advance. Eddie

wire 2.jpg

wire1.jpg

Do you mean the wires going down to the transmissio?

I think I was the 1st back in ~2004 to cut the flange of the intake, if you‘re good with a sawzall & space the manifold with little blocks of 1/4” plywood you can cut it in place, then pull to do a final removal of sprue / cast metal & radius the flanges so no rough edges to harm the harness jacket.

Do you mean the wires going down to the transmissio?

I think I was the 1st back in ~2004 to cut the flange of the intake, if you‘re good with a sawzall & space the manifold with little blocks of 1/4” plywood you can cut it in place, then pull to do a final removal of sprue / cast metal & radius the flanges so no rough edges to harm the harness jacket.
Really? Im not sure I wanna do that.

Really? Im not sure I wanna do that.

It may not be for everyone - I would make it a mandatory thing if I was going forced & wanted quick access back to the gasket down the road.

It’s one of those little tweaks I’m damn glad I did, but again - not everyone would do it.

But to your question - those wires went down to the transmission.

But I got fed up & you know how I “fixed” mine......

It may not be for everyone - I would make it a mandatory thing if I was going forced & wanted quick access back to the gasket down the road.

It’s one of those little tweaks I’m damn glad I did, but again - not everyone would do it.

But to your question - those wires went down to the transmission.

But I got fed up & you know how I “fixed” mine......
I 'slotted' the fuel filter that was enough 'modifications' for me. Hahaha

I 'slotted' the fuel filter that was enough 'modifications' for me. Hahaha

Well, maybe once you get that lower intake off, look at shaving it - you may never need to pull it ever again, but if you do, it’ll be 20mins well spent now.

If you’re staying N/A - then yeah, I doubt you’ll ever see that wire harness pulling job again.

But if Murphy’s law holds true, only guys who don’t cut the intake will ever see a HG job a 2nd time ;)

Well, maybe once you get that lower intake off, look at shaving it - you may never need to pull it ever again, but if you do, it’ll be 20mins well spent now.

If you’re staying N/A - then yeah, I doubt you’ll ever see that wire harness pulling job again.

But if Murphy’s law holds true, only guys who don’t cut the intake will ever see a HG job a 2nd time ;)
Ok, I'm curious. School me on the best way to do this.

Ok, I'm curious. School me on the best way to do this.

what I did was just loosened all the hardware (IIRC the ends are studs, maybe all are stud / nuts - it’s been well over a decade)

I ran it out far enough to slide some shims made from 1/4” plywood but whatever you have will work- (inverted U’s ) down the far 2 outside & 1 big chunk spanning where I was going to make the 2 cuts.

I shoved the harness to 1 side using a ziptie - cutting with a fresh metal bit & going slow, I came to an easy controlled stop in the wood. Never once touched the head, at all.

Then I clipped the ziptie & re-zipped a new one the opposite side for the 2nd cut.

Then I un-did the nuts holding the intake, where the wood shims land didn’t matter as the head was coming off anyhow.

once you have it cut loose, just remove as much metal as you can & radius the sharp edges - I had a die grinder with the scotchbrite/flaps & it left a nicely polished edge.

HTH.

(Forgot to mention throttlebody & upper intake already out - that should be self evident)

Last edited:
what I did was just loosened all the hardware (IIRC the ends are studs, maybe all are stud / nuts - it’s been well over a decade)

I ran it out far enough to slide some shims made from 1/4” plywood but whatever you have will work- (inverted U’s ) down the far 2 outside & 1 big chunk spanning where I was going to make the 2 cuts.

I shoved the harness to 1 side using a ziptie - cutting with a fresh metal bit & going slow, I came to an easy controlled stop in the wood. Never once touched the head, at all.

Then I clipped the ziptie & re-zipped a new one the opposite side for the 2nd cut.

Then I un-did the nuts holding the intake, where the wood shims land didn’t matter as the head was coming off anyhow.

once you have it cut loose, just remove as much metal as you can & radius the sharp edges - I had a die grinder with the scotchbrite/flaps & it left a nicely polished edge.

HTH.

(Forgot to mention throttlebody & upper intake already out - that should be self evident)
I just couldn't bring myself to cutting the manifold so I got under the LC traced the wires and unclipped them. Not as bad as I thought. And since I was under there I figured I might as well get rid of the broken rear heater. It wasn't that bad either. Especially with a cutoff wheel.Now I just have to weld up a patch. ;)

0-4.jpeg

0-5.jpeg

0-6.jpeg

0-7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom