wiring for a starter relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I recently acquired a 1983 fj60 and have been working through a few little problems it has. One of which is the ignition, which doesn’t entirely work. To start the vehicle, you have to turn the key to the start position and then there is a button wired up to the starter relay to run the starter. When you turn the key you can hear the solenoid click but the starter doesn’t turn. If I look under the hood the button is wired up directly to the posts on the starter relay. How can I wire this up to remove the button? I want to just use the ignition cylinder to start.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you traced all the wires into and out of the relay and the starter? I am not an expert but that looks more like a remote starter solenoid vs what I would consider a starter relay.

Can you test the starter to verify it all works correctly? My starter was fine but had some ignition wiring issue that I couldn't diagnose exactly. Google vaperlock and hot start issues and you will see lots of information on why someone MIGHT have done this... Do you have any communication with the original owner to find out why he installed this? I was having intermittent starting issues when my engine was warm and read adding the relay was a quick fix vs finding out where the wiring was having issues. Good or bad it has worked for me. No issues starting since I installed it.

I installed a relay on mine but it still works with the key and the button is under the hood in case I ever need to bump the engine or start remotely (I never have since I installed it). When I wired it up it basically went in between the battery/power wire on the starter and the ignition wire on the starter.

Last edited:
Post a picture of the starter and it’s wiring. The relay you posted is not stock. Could be your stock solenoid (mounted on the starter itself) was not working so a PO did a work around. The stock starter solenoid is rebuildable.

Reactions: OSS
Exactly-
That solenoid mounted in the engine compartment was a band-aid fix by the previous owner to get the failing starter to work. If you replace the starter and wire it normally, chances are high it will work correctly again. And if it's the ignition switch or wiring that's faulty, the way the PO wired that solenoid is the wrong way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom