Wiring AUX Fuse Block Wiring Question(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

abuck99

SILVER Star
Threads
Want to install a Blue Sea blade terminal fuse block to tidy things up around the battery. This will supply some switched power to led aux lights, 65W(5.5A) fridge, and maybe my air compressor.

1.) What is best practice for ground wire? : run the DC negative connection on the fuse block directly to negative post on battery; or to body/frame ground?

2.) Is it recommended to install an inline fuse (125A) between the positive terminal and the fuse block? Diagram suggests it just want to confirm.

3.) Do these fuse blocks tend to hold up ok to under hood environment ( to dust/moisture)?

Thanks

1. Either works. If the block is remote from the battery then the body is the choice. Plus this keeps the battery wiring clean. Of course all your body grounds should be in good shape.

2. Definitely yes. As close to the battery or alternator as possible.

3. Limited experience. So far so good. The internet says people generally have very good experience with them.

And the mainfuse should be sized for your max amp draw. If all your fused circuits add to 75 amps then feed the block with an 80 amp fuse.

1. Either works. If the block is remote from the battery then the body is the choice. Plus this keeps the battery wiring clean. Of course all your body grounds should be in good shape.

2. Definitely yes. As close to the battery or alternator as possible.

3. Limited experience. So far so good. The internet says people generally have very good experience with them.
Thanks for the input. I think the fuse block will be 10-15" from the battery since I have some acc wires already plumbed to that area. I wanted to get them off the battery and onto the fuse block

Blue Sea is really good stuff. It's about the best you will find.

Any wire that leaves the (+) terminal of the battery needs an appropriate sized fuse. And, you size your fuse to protect the wire. Blue Sea has good info in their tech section.

Had that type of bluesea under the hood of my Patrol in oz. Lots of water/mud/dust/dirt for years of use and NEVER had any issues with the fuses.

I have mine mounted a few inches from the aux battery - so direct wire from the GND post of battery to GND of fuse holder to distribute ground to a couple of things nearby. All 'far' away things get ground via the body. No need to run grounds all the way back to the fuse holder.

Since the fuse holder is close to the aux battery I just have a straight positive run from the bluesea to a marine switch (so I can cut ALL aux loads) and from there to the battery positive.

IMG_20180624_151752.jpg

cheers,
george.

Follow up:

Installed a Blue Sea 6 circuit terminal, wired in the fridge power and the rear spots. Made a small mounting plate from some Kydex I had laying around and mounted to some spare threaded inserts on the fenderwall. In line fuse to the terminal block mounted at the positive terminal.

Appreciate all the input and advice- thank you.

IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG

And the mainfuse should be sized for your max amp draw. If all your fused circuits add to 75 amps then feed the block with an 80 amp fuse.
The fuse should be sized to protect the wire it is on. So, if your wire will safely conduct 100 amps your fuse should be at 100 amps MAXIMUM. That said, if your wire will conduct 100 amps but your fuse box will only ever possibly draw 80 amps at full usage then an 80 amp fuse will be fine.
The point being: fuse to protect the wire. And the wire should be sized to conduct enough current to supply the fuse box with all that it could possibly draw (plus some for a little safety margin, IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom