wiper speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I own a 66 FJ40 and the wiper motors on it are a little slow for my taste. I was wondering if there was anyway to get them to go faster. Also they are the original style motors. Thanks.

I know that on my fj60, the higher the voltage my alternator puts out the faster my wipers run. It's quite a big difference in speed between 13.5v and 14.5v. My reg was failing is how I found out. I don't know much about 40's, but if you are so lucky as to have an adjustable voltage regulator, perhaps this could help. I'm told that at much over 15 volts you can boil the fluid in the battery, so be careful if you go this route.

HTH

There's plenty of room in there for friction. I'll bet like Hammerhead said that pulling and cleaning/lubing the works you'll not only get some speed but also increase motor life.

Thanks guys for the help. I will go and try that soon.

The wipers on my 68 were slow also.
The following things all helped:
Cleaned electrical connections in plug-in connectors. I had a bit of voltage drop across them.
Checked and lubed the bushingg in the windshield frame, They were dry and a bit sticky
Cleaned good out of cable between left and right sides and lubed with some lubriplate.
Took motor apart, cleaned bushings, replaced brushes and lubed bushings.
Took the driver's side gearbox apart, cleaned and relubed.
The first 3 things helped the most and were the easiest.
Fresh blades help too.
Paul
Wyoming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom