Wiper motors and why it's important to label stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bladerunner80.com
I've learned why it's important to label things before you rip stuff apart. I can't get my damn wiper motors to work, for all I know I've probably fried them.

I have a 67', and the motors have three tabs on them, S, +, and -. I've obviously figured out what + and - are, but does "S" mean? I had them hooked up and working once, but then the motor blew a fuse, replaced it, kept blowing fuses. So I removed the motors from the circuit, stopped blowing fuses, hoked up one motor, it worked, hooked up both motors, stopped working. I just took the + and - lead from the drivers side motor and hooked it up to the same tabs on the passenger side motor and it worked for a second and then stopped, no blown fuse or anything.....just stopped. I don't get it.

Anyone have any insights?

I've learned why it's important to label things before you rip stuff apart. I can't get my damn wiper motors to work, for all I know I've probably fried them.

I have a 67', and the motors have three tabs on them, S, +, and -. I've obviously figured out what + and - are, but does "S" mean? I had them hooked up and working once, but then the motor blew a fuse, replaced it, kept blowing fuses. So I removed the motors from the circuit, stopped blowing fuses, hoked up one motor, it worked, hooked up both motors, stopped working. I just took the + and - lead from the drivers side motor and hooked it up to the same tabs on the passenger side motor and it worked for a second and then stopped, no blown fuse or anything.....just stopped. I don't get it.

Anyone have any insights?

This is just a WAG since electricity often stumps me. But maybe this can at the least restart your thinking juices.

I would guess you have a short in the D/S wiring. However, my theory would make more sense IF you had actually blown the fuse when you hooked up the P/S with wireing from D/S, instead of just the motor stopping. Maybe recheck that fuse to be certain it is/is not blown. Sometimes you can't tell by just looking.

Others may offer more insight. Good luck.

John

Move away from Seattle, then just keep a good coat of wax on the windshield and you wont even need wipers. Ive been without for years!!;)

I think they're overrated too :) Hey who needs them anyway when you rain-x!

After this years non-stop rain, I do think I need to get out of this state, my back yard (which I just re-did last September) it a moat of water, mud and rotten grass.

My guess is that "S" is some sort of signal wire to tell the wiper motors when it's ok to stop at a park position. Without it, the wipers would just stop anywhere along the arc when you turn it off.

I had the same problem in a jeep, took apart the wires to the switch, and couldn't figure out how to put them back, so I know how you feel. I finally fixed it last month, but for 3 years I had to keep timing when I turned the switch off to get the wipers out of my field of view while driving.

Yeah, I never thought of that. When I bought it, it only had wires going to the positve and negative terminals, I would always time it to keep the wipers out of my way.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom