Windshields are like hens teeth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new windshield for the 45.

I got a near perfect frame from a guy in Montana and i have sanded and primed it up real purdy. I'll put the colour on it in week or so. The only glitch is that the new frame is from an older 40 that had the smaller wwiper motor, so I had to drill holes and weld in a couple of new nuts for my bigger wiper box.

The old frame is too rusted to fix and the glass has some cracks in that won't survive the removal process.

A local place will use the old windshield as a template to make a new one out of 5mm or 6mm glass. Which thickness is it?

$220 installed. Is that a fair price or is it my only option? I could just get the glass and do my own install if it saved a bunch of money. I bought one several years ago for about $80 and installed myself from the same guy.

Calling Crushers:

This is from Steven (he says hello) at Pay-less. He has some old templates of yours but isn't sure what they are for. Can you remember anything about them?

Cruiser Corp is where I got mine...high quality and a decent price when on sale...shipping was awful, but..it was still cheaper than having one made locally!! Install it yourself, the wife helped me do it, and it was a snap following Texican's directions..

Cheers!

Cruiser Corps is $179 plus shipping.

My price is looking like a good deal now, considering it includes installation.

A local place will use the old windshield as a template to make a new one

Sometimes it is a good thing to cultivate a relationship with a local craftsman...

$220 is not bad. I am capable of installing a windshield, however, I paid a Safelite guy to install a windshield in my 55 for about the same price you quoted. If he cracks it during the install :crybaby: it's his problem. It also comes with some kind of guaranty. They might insist on a new gasket before doing the work. Have one handy.

A friend of a friend worked for a auto glass place and to order one it was big bucks, but they had a sheet of safety glass that was flat, this glass did not have the safety stamp in the corner of the glass, but was the same glass as it would be if I ordered, he traced out my old shattered one and installed for $60.00, had him cut me a spare at the same time, small time city in Wi

I worked at a glass shop in the mid 90's. My brother needed a new windshield so I traced his out on laminated safety glass and made three of them...one for him, one for me and a spare. As a glass cutter it wasn't that hard, but wouldn't suggest cutting your own for a novice. As far as install, either follow Texicans advice or have it done without the headache. Ask around maybe a friend of a friend knows someone who has done installs before. My mom had a kid install her rear window on her truck for $25.

Find a shop that will cut it for you. I just got mine yesterday for$100. Also I have found you have to go to the mom and pop places for this. Most larger shops don.t cut glass anymore

I just got a price from our glass supplier at work here.

60" x 20" (just guessing) 6mm clear laminated with radius corners and arrised edge - $112.

That's with the company discount, regular $140ish.

I have a good relationship with a glass shop they will cut it for about 60-70 depending on the brand of flat glass. another 50 to install and your happy. Go local and find a little shop to do it!

I paid $75 for one 6-7 years ago. Local glass place looked it up as a replacement windshield first and quoted me like 800 bucks! I told them it was a flat piece of glass and they just cut me one using the cracked one as a template. They are really easy to put in too.

As mentioned in some of the posts, make sure to use laminated glass and trying to cut lam if not experienced will cost you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom