Windshield Wiper Reservoir Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Recently moved to Northern Idaho from Central California and as expected am having to deal with much colder temps in the winter.

My wife realized pretty quickly on her 30 minute commute to work that we need some de-icer in order to keep the windshield from fogging up pretty severely regardless of what mix of defrosting/airflow we employ. I've had her try every mix of settings we've found online to keep the frost off our windshield but nothing really keeps the frost from getting pretty bad (only externally mind you, inside is fine) and affecting visibility.

Nothing except de-icer as the windshield wiper fluid. Enter my problem. Realized after filling up the tank that there's a leak. My question is, is there any real difference between a generic windshield wiper reservoir kit you can buy on ebay and the OEM factory part? I ask because there's a huge price difference. I'm more than handy enough to change the part out myself but neither do I want to take the time to try and patch the existing leak with a plastic repair process.

I'd much rather throw a $40 generic replacement in there if it will do the job but I'll spring the $120-$150 for the proper oem part if there's any good reason to do so. I also haven't actually pulled it out yet, could be as simple as just a hose or washer leak in which case easy fix.

TL:DR version:

Has anyone here had to replace their reservoir before? Did you go OEM or generic? How has it worked out? How long did your replacement take you to swap them out?

Why don't you figure out what's wrong with it first. If it is the reservoir you could try a wrecker to see if they have one. Otherwise you should just buy the OEM reservoir. It's been scientifically proven that 99% of fixes with generic parts are a waste of money. Especially on Land Cruisers.

If it were mine, I’d fix the leak with some JB Weld. Quick, easy, cheap & long lasting for this application.

The leak coulb be at the joint near the neck meeting the reservoir. Does the leak come when you fill it all the way to top or at least when the neck part started filling up?

Any cracks on plastic can be done with a good thick layer of jb weld.

I have not had a washer reservoir leak but if I had to guess where it might be... :hmm:

85325-60100__5.jpg

I would go with some "stop leak" :lol:

Last edited:
fairly easy to get to,
remove the inner fender and it is right there.

I would go with a good used one if your's is not fixable.

both the front and rear go out of the resevoir, it would be best to either repair yours once you figure what the problem is or replacing with a good used one.

The leak coulb be at the joint near the neck meeting the reservoir. Does the leak come when you fill it all the way to top or at least when the neck part started filling up?

Any cracks on plastic can be done with a good thick layer of jb weld.
I got that leak when I just top up the neck portion on my 105, should I change the rubber seal that joins the neck part?

I got that leak when I just top up the neck portion on my 105, should I change the rubber seal that joins the neck part?
@jeffKerala

Sometimes its easier to swap the part out and see than asking the question buddy.. do it...and report back to us...hopefully with success..

can you tell me how to remove the neck portion only ?
IIRCC it is held in place by the bolt up high by the hood and just slides into the rubber gasket on top of the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom