windshield weatherstrip / weather strip / gasket / surround part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Although there are a lot of threads about this, I could not find the information I was looking for, so I thought I would share the information I've collected in the hopes that others may find it useful and easier to find.

I am faced with a leaky windshield on the Holy Truck.
img-20220924-wa0027-jpeg.3123379

1674803049260-jpeg.3230682

At first I assumed that the guys had not used the appropriate sealant. But two techs insisted that it was because of some 'bracket' or trim missing. This did not make any sense to me because there is no bracket.

I went over to the garage and came to understand that they were talking about the chrome strips that go into a grove in some 80 series:
1674803620815.jpeg

I did not believe it at first. But they showed me that when I pressed on the gasket, water would flow out from a gap between the glass and the rubber. It is true that this chrome strip, when installed, actually forces the rubber against the glass, completing the seal. And several threads here on Mud say the same thing, when I looked. So I have two choices: get the chrome strips:
1674803821117.jpeg

75534-60010 Moulding, Windshield, Outside Lh
75543-60010 Cover, Windshield Moulding Joint, Lower (quantity 2)
75535-60010 Moulding, Windshield, Outside Lower
75533-60010 Moulding, Windshield, Outside Rh
62795-90A00 Cover, Quarter Window Moulding Joint

Or, replace the gasket with one that does not have a grove in it. Certainly it would be easier to just put in the chrome strips, but unfortunately, 75534-60010 does not seem to be available. Moreover, I really don't like the look of the chrome strip and I was going to have to powdercoat them anyways. So I decided to get a weatherstrip without a groove in it.

Easier said than done. Figuring out the part number turned out to be a challenge. I sent the request to two reliable LC parts guys here in Dubai, asking them to get a picture of it before ordering and both came back a little puzzled on the part number. I was pretty sure the Holy Truck, as a bare bones GCC model, did not come with one. Certainly it did not have chrome when I bought it:
1674804311138.png

ToyoDIY'd diagram does not show it--at first glance:
1674804428578.png

So I just bought 56121-60110, which is the part number ToyoDIY indicated. It came with a goove and I did not really think about it much, and just had them use it, resulting in the leak. I now realize that the Holy Truck must have had it new--and now that I look again, ToyoDIY lists the crome trim parts as applicable. So what is the part number without the groove? I found it very hard to figure this out, and my parts guys could not figure it out it either.

Last edited:
I will skip the week of flailing around on this. Finally I resorted to secondary sources:

Fitted gasket provides a formed, seamless seal.
NO Reveal Molding groove.
Designed from original part so it fits correctly.
Made from top quality rubber to ensure durability and proper seal.
Replaces factory #56121-60100.

1674805302907.jpeg

"Hello,
I have to replace my windshield and read as much as I could find on these forums.
So I went to the dealership in Ontario Canada and bought the moulding.
They sold me part# 56121-60100 which does not have a chrome lock strip like I have existing now...."

So I've concluded that 56121-60100 is the part without the groove and 56121-60110 is the part with the groove, which kind of makes sense, part number-wise. Fortunately the 56121-60100 part is available on the market here. I will post an end to the saga once the part arrives on Monday and I get it installed.

Forgive me if I’m stating something stupid and/or obvious. Wouldn’t it have been easier for you to source a windshield gasket for a USDM 80 series and just installed that? No groove, readily available, and Toyota OEM.

Forgive me if I’m stating something stupid and/or obvious. Wouldn’t it have been easier for you to source a windshield gasket for a USDM 80 series and just installed that? No groove, readily available, and Toyota OEM.
CURTIS All ready. And therefore, I pray thee, news.
GRUMIO First, know my horse is tired, my master and mistress fallen out.
CURTIS How?
GRUMIO Out of their saddles into the dirt, and thereby hangs a tale.
CURTIS Let’s ha’ t, good Grumio.
GRUMIO Lend thine ear.

It goes like this: I have 5 Land Cruisers more or less operable in Dubai right now. A troopy, a flatbed pickup currently without AC, the Holy Truck (carburated 80 series), a 1998 Prado and my 105. The 105 is going to Canada in a couple of months and so is unavailable as it is about to go in for a lot of prep and cosmetic work. I don't really want to drive around in the pickup or the troopy, and the Prado, although mechanically sound is a little cramped and the interior needs major work. That leaves the Holy Truck. So I need to solve this in the next few days so I can use the Holy Truck as my daily. It is roomy enough and comfortable and the inside is nice enough. I'm sure that most normal people look at my situation and say--That guy is crazy! Why does he have all these busted-ass old trucks around--in Dubai!? Sometimes I struggle to find any meaningful response to that. Anyways, I need the surround now. And fortunately, my guy will deliver the 60100 part on Monday.

P.S. Here's the Prado. It has been raining in Dubai.
1674820003397.jpeg

CURTIS All ready. And therefore, I pray thee, news.
GRUMIO First, know my horse is tired, my master and mistress fallen out.
CURTIS How?
GRUMIO Out of their saddles into the dirt, and thereby hangs a tale.
CURTIS Let’s ha’ t, good Grumio.
GRUMIO Lend thine ear.

It goes like this: I have 5 Land Cruisers more or less operable in Dubai right now. A troopy, a flatbed pickup currently without AC, the Holy Truck (carburated 80 series), a 1998 Prado and my 105. The 105 is going to Canada in a couple of months and so is unavailable as it is about to go in for a lot of prep and cosmetic work. I don't really want to drive around in the pickup or the troopy, and the Prado, although mechanically sound is a little cramped and the interior needs major work. That leaves the Holy Truck. So I need to solve this in the next few days so I can use the Holy Truck as my daily. It is roomy enough and comfortable and the inside is nice enough. I'm sure that most normal people look at my situation and say--That guy is crazy! Why does he have all these busted-ass old trucks around--in Dubai!? Sometimes I struggle to find any meaningful response to that. Anyways, I need the surround now. And fortunately, my guy will deliver the 60100 part on Monday.
Sooooooo how about them OEM windshield gasket for USDM 80 series land cruisers…🤣🤣🤣

Glad you have it worked out

Sooooooo how about them OEM windshield gasket for USDM 80 series land cruisers…🤣🤣🤣

Glad you have it worked out
Thank you FMC.

Re the USDM trucks, I last owned one in 1999. I did not have a USDM VIN handy. Even that one I had back then had a reconstructed title, so not a normal VIN. But really I had assumed that US trucks came with it because the chrome is kind of fancy and USDM 80s all seem tricked out with sunroofs and all. Besides, it takes about a week to ship something here and costs an extra 100 USD minimum. The part here is costing me 215 AED with free delivery which is about 60 USD.

Thank you FMC.

Re the USDM trucks, I last owned one in 1999. I did not have a USDM VIN handy. Even that one I had back then had a reconstructed title, so not a normal VIN. But really I had assumed that US trucks came with it because the chrome is kind of fancy and USDM 80s all seem tricked out with sunroofs and all. Besides, it takes about a week to ship something here and costs an extra 100 USD minimum. The part here is costing me 215 AED with free delivery which is about 60 USD.
I see; what about partsouq since they're based out of Dubai? Are you able to use them, or is it still cost-prohibitive?

I see; what about partsouq since they're based out of Dubai? Are you able to use them, or is it still cost-prohibitive?
Its a bit involved, which reminds me of...

It turns out that the United Arab Emirates early on adopted a law which created a property right in being an agent for a foreign company. The impact of this is that there is only ONE authorized Toyota agent in the country: Al Futtaim Motors. Al Futtaim is pretty good but they don't sell directly and they tend to focus more on the current flock of cars and parts. PartSouq and similar parts suppliers are -prohibited- from selling Toyota parts on the local market. So when I go to their website, this is what I see:
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 5.25.56 PM.png

Over the years I have found some good parts guys who are willing to put in the effort to help me find parts in neighboring countries. Typically Oman or Saudi Arabia. There is enough of a business that there usually is a daily truck that drives from Muscat, Oman to Dubai, a drive of almost 7 hours, counting the border crossing.

It is enough of a problem that the UAE government currently is changing things a bit to 'rebalance' the relationship between foreign suppliers and local agents. New UAE Commercial Agency Law creates more balanced relations between international business and local agent - https://gulfnews.com/business/new-uae-commercial-agency-law-creates-more-balanced-relations-between-international-business-and-local-agent-1.1674706084612

Its a bit involved, which reminds me of...

It turns out that the United Arab Emirates early on adopted a law which created a property right in being an agent for a foreign company. The impact of this is that there is only ONE authorized Toyota agent in the country: Al Futtaim Motors. Al Futtaim is pretty good but they don't sell directly and they tend to focus more on the current flock of cars and parts. PartSouq and similar parts suppliers are -prohibited- from selling Toyota parts on the local market. So when I go to their website, this is what I see:
View attachment 3230747
Over the years I have found some good parts guys who are willing to put in the effort to help me find parts in neighboring countries. Typically Oman or Saudi Arabia. There is enough of a business that there usually is a daily truck that drives from Muscat, Oman to Dubai, a drive of almost 7 hours, counting the border crossing.

It is enough of a problem that the UAE government currently is changing things a bit to 'rebalance' the relationship between foreign suppliers and local agents. New UAE Commercial Agency Law creates more balanced relations between international business and local agent - https://gulfnews.com/business/new-uae-commercial-agency-law-creates-more-balanced-relations-between-international-business-and-local-agent-1.1674706084612

You know, I figured the obvious was too easy. Of course, there are archaic rules and regs that serve only one family name and otherwise act only as impediments to commerce for everyone else there. Thanks for the breakdown, John.

You know, I figured the obvious was too easy. Of course, there are archaic rules and regs that serve only one family name and otherwise act only as impediments to commerce for everyone else there. Thanks for the breakdown, John.
I think that is too harsh. I think it probably was and to some extent still is, needed. In the 1960s Dubai was often described as a 'sleepy fishing village'. Local merchants -needed- protection. Have a look at this NYU presentation and it will give context.

And probably, to some extent, local business still needs some protection. The large, multi-billion AED agents probably not so much. They can hire world-class lawyers and very much hold their own in negotiations. But the UAE is trying hard to make this a viable regional headquarters location for international business. This most recent action is, IMHO, part of that.

I didn't read your post about the laws in place to be a protective measure. Instead, I interpreted it through my cynical worldview and assumed the rest of the competition didn't have enough "wasta" to be given the freedom to sell Toyota parts.
That video is 1hr 28min long. I'm only in my 40s, so I don't have enough time to grow old watching Todd's architectural interpretation of a city that "rose from the sands" ;)

Thanks for sharing, John.

Hi all. I am pleased to confirm that the 56121-60100 is the part without the groove for the stainless steel trim insert. I received a new OEM surround today.
1675082966857.png

1675082978640.png

1675082995317.png

The short answer I don't know. The guys here don't actually like to use adhesive on gaskets like this. And to be fair, the reason the old one leaked was mechanical--because of the missing trim strip. I have asked that they call me so I can go over when they put in the new gasket so I can take photos.

Having driven through an unexpected rainstorm in Oman, I am happy to report that the Holy Truck no longer leaks!
1680850385602.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom