Windshield Rivet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently tackled the rust surrounding my windshield and boy am I glad I did. After much grinding and painting the windshield and molding are in but I am having trouble with the three lower rivet holes on the drivers side moulding. They don't fit snug and keep popping out, but just those three holes. I am using Toyota oem rivets. My thought is the corrosion made the rivet hole just slightly too big. Any advice on what to do now? Should I look for a larger size rivet? Are there any other ideas to fasten and close the hole without using screws? Any advice is appreciated.

If the rivets don’t fit you could either use larger rivets with some heat shrink over them, or some riv nuts and bolts with silicone sealant.

Do you know anyone that can TIG weld? Weld the hole up, grind it flat, drill a new hole.

I recently tackled the rust surrounding my windshield and boy am I glad I did. After much grinding and painting the windshield and molding are in but I am having trouble with the three lower rivet holes on the drivers side moulding. They don't fit snug and keep popping out, but just those three holes. I am using Toyota oem rivets. My thought is the corrosion made the rivet hole just slightly too big. Any advice on what to do now? Should I look for a larger size rivet? Are there any other ideas to fasten and close the hole without using screws? Any advice is appreciated.
I recently installed the garnish on my windshield and had the same issue. Ended up using a standard aluminum rivet slightly bigger with black rtv dabbed in the hole and rivet end. It really depends on how much larger the hole is now and the overall condition of that channel along the windshield. The idea is to have something preventing aluminum rivet contact with steel, being dissimilar metals and all. Personally, if I were to do it over, I think rivnuts installed properly would be a rock solid long term solution.

There are at least two sizes of rivets sold by Toyota. I don't have the part numbers saved, but you can search around. One is larger than the original one for the 100 and tends to be a good fit for enlarged holes.

Agreed rivnut is a potential option, however, I'm not sure rivnuts inherently create a good seal themselves. Might have to use rtv or something to seal the rivnut itself, and then thread sealant on the threads of the fastener? It's an easier fastener to undo and redo, but not necessarily a better seal.

Definitely trying to find a solution that doesn't involve welding and grinding as the new windshield is in. The rivnuts is an interesting idea in addition to the larger rivet.

This post:

Listed some alternative Toyota & Ford rivets by part number…

Here's another option. The owner had the holes filled and rust repaired. He then used Tacoma molding that attach in the rain gutter. No complaint a of wind noise or other issues.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just ordered some 4mm rivets so wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom