Windrock Park Trail Recommendations for Novice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

This is my first post here. I just got my 03 cruiser a couple of months ago and I'm looking to stretch it's legs a bit off of the asphalt. I'm in Nashville, TN and I've heard good things about Windrock Park just a couple hours east near Knoxville. After searching and reading many of the forum posts that included "windrock", I was coming up short as I am looking for some easier trail suggestions from fellow members who have been there before. I'm a novice when it comes to off-roading, but I'd appreciate something a bit more than just a gravel road, if possible. After looking on Windrock's website, all trails are labeled as gree, blue and black. Many (if not all) of the greens are just gravel roads, but some of the blues look a little technical from YouTube videos I've watched.

Any chance someone could help me out and recommend a few that would be a good weekend trip?

My 100 is stock (just took the running boards off tonight) with Nitto Crosstek's (came with them already on) and I don't own a recovery strap yet.

Thanks

Never heard of that place but it looks great. Glad you said something, too - it's only 70 miles away. I'll have to give them a shout. Thx

Some friends and I are new to the off-road thing as well and have been to Wooly's Off-road Park several times in the past year. We live in Franklin and it's about 40 minutes south from us. The owners are very nice and you'll see lots of types of vehicles there from lightly modded daily drivers to built rigs to ATV's. The downside is I've yet to see a good trail map but there's lots of light/novice trails and if you get out and eyeball a trail you're considering it's pretty easy to tell what is going to be hairier than you're ready for and you can pick the easier fork.

It's worth noting that some parks trail maps can get you in trouble anyway. Adventure Off-road Park outside of Chattanooga is awesome with a good map but one little area was labeled novice and was more like advanced. It was our first ever outing and we barely knew what 4-low was and didn't air down at all. I'm still amazed we made it out of there!

I'd tell you to meet up with us next time we go but between work schedules and travel we won't be getting back out until April 30th at the earliest :(

Some friends and I are new to the off-road thing as well and have been to Wooly's Off-road Park several times in the past year. We live in Franklin and it's about 40 minutes south from us. The owners are very nice and you'll see lots of types of vehicles there from lightly modded daily drivers to built rigs to ATV's. The downside is I've yet to see a good trail map but there's lots of light/novice trails and if you get out and eyeball a trail you're considering it's pretty easy to tell what is going to be hairier than you're ready for and you can pick the easier fork.

It's worth noting that some parks trail maps can get you in trouble anyway. Adventure Off-road Park outside of Chattanooga is awesome with a good map but one little area was labeled novice and was more like advanced. It was our first ever outing and we barely knew what 4-low was and didn't air down at all. I'm still amazed we made it out of there!

I'd tell you to meet up with us next time we go but between work schedules and travel we won't be getting back out until April 30th at the earliest :(
Wooly's sounds great - I didn't know that place existed. Their website/Facebook doesn't have a ton of pictures, but from what you say - it sounds right up my alley. Especially because it's so close to home and a day trip is possible. Give me a shout the next time you head out there and I'll see if I can make it!

Also, good info to know about trail maps! Thanks for the heads up. Eyeballing a trail and asking around is probably better than going in trusting a trail map.

I think there's a pretty good chance we go out for the day on April 30th, so pencil that in.

As a bunch of rookies we have frequently gotten out of the trucks at trail forks and walked it for 50-100 yards. That's generally enough to decide if it's not too daunting. Plus you might as well get a little exercise while you're outdoors too. Just be sure to pull the truck over to the side so other people can get by while you're hiking. That said you'll probably be surprised how little you see other vehicles on the same path. We were worried starting out that we would be like the novice golfers holding up lines of pros behind us on the links but you'll often go 30 minutes without even seeing another group on the same trail. At least that's been our experience so far after about 8 outings.

The other thing to remember is there's no shame in turning around (if there's room!) but it's really hard to resist the urge to forge ahead even if you're feeling uneasy about a path :)
And I wouldn't go by yourself to a place you're not at least a little familiar with. Having at least one buddy frees one of you to drive while the other spots and directs you over obstacles. Once you get a feel for a trail and some experience with what your truck can do and what feels safe you can go it alone, but early on it's too much work and stress.

Great advice about walking and pulling off to the side. Funny - the novice golfer scenario is exactly what I was worried about. Glad to hear that's not necessarily the case. I'll also be sure to bring a friend for spotting.

I'll pencil it in for April 30th.

Great advice about walking and pulling off to the side. Funny - the novice golfer scenario is exactly what I was worried about. Glad to hear that's not necessarily the case. I'll also be sure to bring a friend for spotting.

I'll pencil it in for April 30th.

So last weekend fell though. Family funeral which sucks but they were having some "foam fest 5K" crossfitty kind of thing last weekend so I think it would have been crowded with exercise people and at best only some trails open. Anyway, probably 95% chance we make it happen this coming Sunday. I'll PM you as we get closer if you're free.

Windrock has many trails and you really want to go with at least one other truck. The only truly easy trial is the access road which at times can get messy / flooded. All green trails when wet are blue... street tires are not a good idea if trails are wet... The approach trail from camp ground to the trail head is a good indication of what is to come (as easy goes) if wet.. Don't be stingy buy a map , you will need it. I have left camp at 9:00am in the morning and didn't get back untl 10:30 at night. I still don't know where we were but some trails are only wide enough for ATVs.... however a 100s just fits, almost..

0jXyojnNIS-Ol-RNpNhqFAz0n7ZceWZ-1st5cLL7F-XbGpMegUXaMYiBDyPJMZ6033dZ81jrxLJrLoMzWAFSdnGsGZwy6zFyHEPgY7IYExDGKpfGnNoAde-y2v0PsVkF1v6umZmc1UZyrehqniCVRybO6TxEjvCB6Iw_gA-B-ZUfoxE3_I5LAK4TArGzpl0zfDW67bTjyLqCRHtgr3KyN642oMHJS_HGW4s4u0zcN4HvNhcmmJha3i9m5P8Bsruk9PUbPzI9pWmiRcpgUjKnoS_b15AXWqIlT1Cl6X6hv7FV1vBPMG9pP5syH8wVPYv_yj2BRIy_jM9mGL4yM1MHLTBPE34tCu0zA9jYbelRUCSYfISeKvtkBLf4aHfBExbfcgaeDPkwjgZ4W_K1irBLSmIuGIw-69ajBtrchfOb6mprFFtxFxwLjHemPT7I2cNAJPqntzshvKzeQ67dyzJdnDufJjU8uumIiV-V4NeDjCX_qJhOJ93_WqFCSAqhc6_ZLIfY0htlpN2SgYPtj5vPO2W3I4Szc_xWjdslbWxBCuykGUy3MFzLMTI7_YFw2daWvQzdpb4KqIvvWHifOWWUdFvFSLDvdX88l5ekq6VgCyhlp3hAWmvr=w883-h662-no

Yes , that is my back tire hanging off the trail after the rocks broke away... I love this place !!

Trail 2 is a good starter trail to take at Windrock. Day pass is about $17 per person.
Trail 22 is another popular trail but it has quite a few more rocks and challenges. I personally do not intend on taking mine on 22 because I feel it is too risky and I don't want to tear up my vehicle. Good spotting would help but there are still chances of damage on a mostly stock vehicle.
At the top of T22 is G5. If you take a left you can follow G5 until it comes to a Y in the road. The left of the Y is G6 and you can go down there about a mile and Trail 26 is on your right. It has some rock gardens going down hill, a small creek to cross and a climb up out of the creek area to a gas well on the top. The trail can continue about half a mile on the left and it used to be a little rough dropping back down to the creek there. You can take the gravel on out and at the end turn left and you will pass where the rough trail by the creek comes out. A little ways down the road is Trail 27. You cross a creek just as 27 starts. It used to have some rocky and rutted places but its been a while since I have been on it. There is supposed to be a picnic pavilion built on T27 that was built by a jeep club. I am not sure of where they built it but think its close to the creek end. This trail is used a lot by jeeps and trucks.

Some other trail options that aren't too bad is Trail 5 off of G5. As you turn on T5 you can see the windmills across the way on top of the mountain. T5 is pretty short and it is where the Windrock Stairway to Heaven is. Stay to the right and follow the road/trail and you will come to Trail 19. From trail 19 take trail 4. It will come out at an intersection where G39, T4, and G2 come together. If you take a left on G2 and follow it for a few miles you can take it to the Windmills. Right before you get to the windmills there is a small trail to the right and it will lead to a big overlook. The gravel on past the overlook is considered G9 and it will take you back over to G1.

G1 is a pretty long road and goes all the way to Hwy 116. At Hwy 116 when you cross it that is considered the North Side. There is a radar base on the north side, Caryville Flats, and many other trails.

I highly suggest getting a trail map at the Windrock General store when you get your permits.
Trail 16 can be used often by truck groups but it is always changing and can get in rough shape and it is highly traveled. it is not very wide and can get real rutted. Its a pretty long trail. There are bypasses to the bypasses getting off of T16. I don't know what their latest conditions are.
You can spend all weekend there and not see it all. If you like it I highly suggest getting the yearly permit because just in a couple weekends the yearly permit pays for itself.

Not sure if you guys are still active, but I’m planning a trip for stock trucks to Windrock on November 17th. You are more than welcome to attend if you want!

We’re taking a families trip to Asheville the weekend before and hitting up Overland East the weekend before (Nov 9-11) so I doubt we can get free two weekends in a row. We are going to plan some trail time soon though so I’ll post up here when we settle on some dates.
Will this be the first time you’re taking your truck on the trails or did you make it out before now?

We’re taking a families trip to Asheville the weekend before and hitting up Overland East the weekend before (Nov 9-11) so I doubt we can get free two weekends in a row. We are going to plan some trail time soon though so I’ll post up here when we settle on some dates.
Will this be the first time you’re taking your truck on the trails or did you make it out before now?
I’ve been going there for approximately 15 years. 10 years of that has been in trucks. I took the Land Cruiser up for the first time a few months ago. I used to be an Xterra owner.

I’ve been going there for approximately 15 years. 10 years of that has been in trucks. I took the Land Cruiser up for the first time a few months ago. I used to be an Xterra owner.

Whoops, I just failed reading comprehension and thought you were the guy who started this thread, just getting his feet wet.
Regardless, hopefully we’ll get a meet up going with us middle-Tennesseans at some point.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom