Window Regulator lubricant and black goo that holds plast in place. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What lubrication is best for the window regulator and the lock/latch components.

I lubricated my window regulator and the latch/lock mechanism with white lithium spray grease. It didn't age well and was particularly bad in cold weather.

I just redid it with some spray Supre-Lube which worked very well but I'm not sure how long it will last. It is pretty thin.

I'm going to have to go back in to apply some rust inhibitor so I'm going to lubricate the door again I'm thinking with heavier super-lube if I don't find anything better.

Also what is that black goo that holds the plastic on. It has been on and off quite a few times and is getting worn out and contaminated. I tried tape and that was a real mess.

Thanks. Wish I had asked a few teardowns earlier. Maybe this next one will last longer.

I think some window regulators don't respond well to new grease because they are bogged down in the sticky, ancient grease you can't see between the parts. To really do this right, you may need to remove the regulator, scrape off the goo with a razor blade, screwdriver, Q-tips, etc., dissolve the rest with brake cleaner, and then re-grease the entire regulator with a thin grease, possibly genie garage door screw-drive grease, or a light synthetic (gun grease, perhaps).

White Lithium spray grease is my go-to on most things like this, because it gets deep into crevices (like hood latches). So, you may want to take one of your balkiest latches or parts, and do a serious cleanup and re-grease. Just another obsessive Toyota distraction, like all others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom