Wind noise from moon roof (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
First Id like to thank you MUD community for wells of information and support.
This forum is what convinced me to buy my first "land cruiser", its LX.

I got inspired by reading stories of people flying out of state to buy their cars. At first it seemed bit crazy, but I listened to yours advice and had PPI inspection done which helped me to feel better about putting down deposit and buying a plane ticket.

So i did my walk though the car, tried checking every possible option to see if it works. Being my first car of this caliber I cant say I knew well how everything should function.

Here is few issues that I found and wonder if someone can help me out with.
1) when cruising above 60mph I can hear a wind noise coming out from moon roof, but only when sunshade is open. when I close the sunshade noise drops significantly, but still there. Is this a common issue and something that can be fixed by replacing rubber seals?
2) when moving steering wheel hard left or right I can hear a whining noise coming out from the steering pump. its not very loud but its there. On Honda cars it was a simple fix, just replace O-ring on inlet of the pump. I have not looked at reservoir to see if there is air bubbles in there. Is it the same or I am in big trouble with this one?

But have to say driving this car is pure pleasure. I did 550 miles yesterday and never felt this good after long trip.

Hi,
First Id like to thank you MUD community for wells of information and support.
This forum is what convinced me to buy my first "land cruiser", its LX.
View attachment 1955524

I got inspired by reading stories of people flying out of state to buy their cars. At first it seemed bit crazy, but I listened to yours advice and had PPI inspection done which helped me to feel better about putting down deposit and buying a plane ticket.

So i did my walk though the car, tried checking every possible option to see if it works. Being my first car of this caliber I cant say I knew well how everything should function.

Here is few issues that I found and wonder if someone can help me out with.
1) when cruising above 60mph I can hear a wind noise coming out from moon roof, but only when sunshade is open. when I close the sunshade noise drops significantly, but still there. Is this a common issue and something that can be fixed by replacing rubber seals?
2) when moving steering wheel hard left or right I can hear a whining noise coming out from the steering pump. its not very loud but its there. On Honda cars it was a simple fix, just replace O-ring on inlet of the pump. I have not looked at reservoir to see if there is air bubbles in there. Is it the same or I am in big trouble with this one?

But have to say driving this car is pure pleasure. I did 550 miles yesterday and never felt this good after long trip.
Curious about #1 myself. I have the same issue on my 2010 570. I just haven’t gotten around to checking into it yet.

I can definitely notice that wind noise from my sunroof on my 2011 with 100k. The LX though is such an upgrade in sound insulation from my 2014 4Runner that it does not bother me at all. Still, with this many miles and almost 9 years old, I'm sure the rubber weather stripping is getting to be fairly worn.

I can definitely notice that wind noise from my sunroof on my 2011 with 100k. The LX though is such an upgrade in sound insulation from my 2014 4Runner that it does not bother me at all. Still, with this many miles and almost 9 years old, I'm sure the rubber weather stripping is getting to be fairly worn.
It’s very odd to me. My 19yo LX470 is quite as can be with the shade open. No noise at all. I would think the newer 570 would be better.

If something changed about the aero over the top of the windshield I could see a scenario where it ends up louder.. even if the 470 was quiet.

my LC200 does the same thing.

Maybe double check that the windshield has factory trim along the top edge. If it ever had a windshield put on by an installer that doesn't take care to use factory rubber, it can do odd things to the aerodynamics. Mine had a distinct whistle and/or buzzing sound at speed.. turns out it was the trim along the top. I ripped that off and the whistle went away. Not really anything to do with the sunroof but it highlights these things being designed to operate best one way.

Same wind noise on my 2008 LC...significantly quieter with sun shade closed. Never been otherwise on my truck...

Same here, 2016 with 40,000

Same issue with the sunroof noise here. Dont have the steering pumo noise though. You might want to look into the pump oring you have indicated

I notice a little noise, I just turn up that old rock'n roll.

There shouldn’t be any wind noise in a $90k+ vehicle especially considering that there isn’t any in the 470.

There shouldn’t be any wind noise in a $90k+ vehicle especially considering that there isn’t any in the 470.

You think?

Price does not magically change a non-aerodynamic blobby truck into an aerodynamic blobby truck. :meh:

Last edited:
Same here with the wind noise, 2011 LC. And forget when it rains, Very loud and tinny with the shade open.

Last edited:
Mine has the wind noise, too. But not the driveshaft clunk. So there’s that.

Came here to chime in.... same wind noise here on 2011 LC w 160K. Seems to have gotten worse over last 15K; last windshield replace was at 130K. (safelite). Shade muffles it mostly. But then, what is the purpose of a "sun" roof if you can't let the sunlight in?

Came here to chime in.... same wind noise here on 2011 LC w 160K. Seems to have gotten worse over last 15K; last windshield replace was at 130K. (safelite). Shade muffles it mostly. But then, what is the purpose of a "sun" roof if you can't let the sunlight in?
Exactly, we doan need no stinking sunroof. Just another place for noise, water intrusion and potential electrical gremlins.

Adding to this, I also was surprised by the wind noise. I had a 2018 GX and there was hardly any difference with the shade open, it was fantastic. Disappointed the LX is so "loud" with the shade open.

To be clear.... Is there supposed to be a rubber trim piece at the top of the window from left to right or is it supposed to be empty as in my photo below?

1696285962105.png

Adding to this, I also was surprised by the wind noise. I had a 2018 GX and there was hardly any difference with the shade open, it was fantastic. Disappointed the LX is so "loud" with the shade open.

To be clear.... Is there supposed to be a rubber trim piece at the top of the window from left to right or is it supposed to be empty as in my photo below?

View attachment 3445811

There is supposed to be a thin rubber strip attached to the back side of the glass that prevents the gap filling with leaves and dirt. It is buried down in there.. not supposed to protrude at all.

I can’t tell from your picture whether it’s there.. need to post something much closer up/zoomed in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom