Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you guys think that a warn 9500 is strong enough for the 80? What is the concensus on what strength winch you need for an 80?

I have a 8000lb on the ShortBus. The truck weighs about 5700lbs. I have pulled it out of all kinds of situations rocky trails and snow and it has worked fine. However, I doubt it would pull it out if it is stuck in a mud bog.

I went with 8k for the weight saving on that truck and what it is used for. However on the Schoolbus I run a 12k winch. It all depends on what you are going to expect the winch to do.

An extra $200-$300 for the Warn 12K is cheap insurance.

[quote author=FZJFillmore link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg76872#msg76872 date=1071676587]
PO put a Superwinch X9 (9000lb) on my truck. It's been fine for pulling people out of snow or simple stucks, but I would feel a looooot better with a 12k.
[/quote]

The X9 and S9000 are 11900lb units... they are rated at 9k because of the cable size. Compare the specs of them to the Warn 12k.

Like Slee said Short of being in a mud bog buried to the frame you'll be fine....
I have a XD9000i Warn on my other full size about 6300 lbs loaded. Get a snatch block and accy's and do double line pulls when you think the motor will have to "work' to get you out.
Pokemon (who can drive to Warn ind in 20min.)

[quote author=Pokemon link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg76948#msg76948 date=1071691025]
Pokemon (who can drive to Warn ind in 20min.)
[/quote]
You live in Portland or the 'Couve? I live 2 min. from the Warn Estate :D

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg76906#msg76906 date=1071683354]
The X9 and S9000 are 11900lb units... they are rated at 9k because of the cable size. Compare the specs of them to the Warn 12k. [/quote]

Specs don't tell you the whole story. I know because I've had two of each. Pull them apart and you quickly realize the X9 is pure dog crap. Rotten hardware, rotten everything. X9 is a total POS.

yeah, but will they let you in the estate?

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg77004#msg77004 date=1071696029]
Specs don't tell you the whole story. I know because I've had two of each. Pull them apart and you quickly realize the X9 is pure dog crap. Rotten hardware, rotten everything. X9 is a total POS.
[/quote]

Please elaborate a bit more.... I have not found much build info on the Warn models. The X9 uses a decent Iskra motor w/ ball bearings, needle bearings in the single stage planetary gear box (look up planetary gear systems to what works and why). About the only problem I have heard about with the Superwinch X9 was the lack of sealing gaskets on the earlier model motors. This allowed water to enter.... the rest is history. I've seen a Warn Winch do this, also.

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg76971#msg76971 date=1071694069]
[/quote]

The last Warn(Mike) sold the company in 2000, to a bunch of venture capitalists, they sold it in 2003 to Dover Industires.

one of the Warns also has a flooring(like tile and hardwood) company in WA, forget the name but its a big wholesale outfit

John H (full of worthless info)

Since you guys are on the topic of winches, what do you think of the warn 8274?
I've just got an ARB commercial bar and i'm trying to figgure out what i'm going to fill the giant hole with.

-Bryan

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg77077#msg77077 date=1071706739]
I've just got an ARB commercial bar and i'm trying to figgure out what i'm going to fill the giant hole with.

-Bryan
[/quote]

IMOP there isnt a better winch then the 8274, I have 2 of em, one on a 45 and one a 40, LOVE that winch. On the 60 its a 10k warn, 80 is a 12k warn, I think they are a bit better suited to the weight of the big wagons, but I wouldnt' have issues running a 8274 on either of them, If you already have the commerbar I would so the 8274-50.

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg76971#msg76971 date=1071694069]
[/quote]
Ben, I live directly on the other side of the Columbia River from you. The last town before the start of the Columbia River gorge scenic area. Troutdale, Or. :cheers:

Bryan, the 8274-50 is good choice as well. The line speed is excellent on these winches, It's by far the best in an 8-9K winch.
But the new price might be awful close to the 12K Warn, soo...

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg77077#msg77077 date=1071706739]

-Bryan
[/quote]

No doubt the 8274. I love that winch. I still have my dad's from 1972 vintage. I ran that on a commercial bar on the blue 80 and never had a problem.

I've been winched around by most every brand out there....not sure that's a good thing, but I've formed opinions...

Superwinches are slow....very....I could have run a snatch block and righted myself before that thing had me halfway off the ground....

Ramsey's don't impress me either...a friend went thru 3 one summer, non held together. I also recall their design on the new models allowed the cable to bind between the spool and housing and split the case.

MileMarker electrics....worse than the Superwinch for speed...pathetic...unloaded, loaded, line out, etc....useless. I'd rather use a comealong...

I've by far been most impressed with the Warn for speed and reliability.

Speed doesn't SOUND like a big deal....but line speed when you are respooling the cable is nice when the weather sucks and you are the one standing out there taking care of it. Line speed is nice when you are using the rig to assist with the pull, since you are much less likely to overrun the cable and cause it to wrap loosely and get damaged on the drum. Line speed is wonderful when you are upside down and want to get yer junk righted quickly, saving as many fluids as possible.

I've got a old 1974 Warn Bellevue on the garage floor that works awesome....manual brake and everything. Loved that winch, but no power out option...so I replaced in 2002 with an 8274-50 and have zero complaints.

The Superwinch can be slow, but it is faster than the Warn 12k up to about 4 or 5k lbs. no load 32 vs 30 FPM, 2k lb 18 vs 14 FPM, 4k lb 9 vs. 8 FPM... then the Warn starts to go past.... probably twice as fast at 9k pounds. The Warn costs over twice as much. Bang for the buck, the Superwinch is hard to beat in many ways. Priorities are different, though.

Let's face it, just about any 8k lb+ winch will get a Landcruiser out of 90% of the messes one is likely to get in on. How long it will last is another question that probably can't be answered easily.

My Ramsey Rep 8K is 9 1/2 years old on its third vehicle and it works great for moderate self recovery and getting the occasional errant vehicle unstuck. Picked it up for $399 new... ;)

That being said, for serious recovery usage....go with the Warn 12K.

-H-

O.K. so the 12K or the 8274. I know the 12K means 12K pounds but what about the 8274? And more importantly, what will fit in a ARB bull bar? I thought the 9500 was the largest that would go in there. ??? I guess i need to read up on my winch specs better. :cheers:

CJ,
You have to have the ARB Commercial winch bar to use the 8274.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom