Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=8889;start=msg77414#msg77414 date=1071776563]
O.K. so the 12K or the 8274. I know the 12K means 12K pounds but what about the 8274?

[/quote]

8274= 8 thousand pound winch
2 directional power (in and out)
74 year that it was designed and put into production.

As per WARN.

ARB makes a bull bar for the wagons that uses the 8274-50, it is not the same as the bars used for the low mount 8, 9, 12 or 15K winches.

Good luck!

-Steve

Well, since the 8274 has gotten such wonderful reviews, its hard to say no, my only concern then would be power. For the majority of the wheeling (99%) I do it wouldnt be a problem, but everyonce in a blue moon i'll get stuck in mud. I'm not going to be in any humongus hurry to get the truck out, so setting up a snach block wouldnt be a problem, I'm just wanna know if the winch would be the best option, or should i spend the extra $150 or so and get a 12k? Opinions?

-Bryan

12K :cheers:

8274 (24V if you can :D) Awesome winch.

Stuck in mud like this?
60 loaded for 2 wks of camping (heavy) - not mine...
slicks.jpg

Yep, dragged it out (mate's), the other tyre marks going down the left side of the picture are from dragging another mate's LWB patrol and trailer first (loaded for 2wks)
dragged.jpg

Both winched out - single line pull, synthetic rope, on my 24V 8274 on my pissan patrol shorty.

george.

You could always figure out what it would take to run the new M16.5ti...

:D

Concrete,

I greatly prefer the M12k over the X9, but I would probably go for the commercial bar + 8274 vs the arb + 12k. I know that's hard to imagine since I always say go for the most pull, but the 8274 comes with 150' of cable which means you can double line pull further. There was a study of them about 2 years ago, comparing them to the 12k and others and the 8274 did quite well. There are some good mods you can do to the high mounts and there is a better market for them used. Overall, it's pretty much just about equal either way.

I would heavily vote against the X9 though, unless you want to buy used one. :flipoff2:

Just remember, it would really suck to be in a bad situation and your winch not be enough to get you out.

The below buggy is on 42's, and that's the mild section of the trail. That's the trail I snapped a birfield on during Memorial Day this year, and needed a tug from the X9 (mounted in front of the rear bumper) and it let me down. That kind of sucked.

18Dec2003 (UTC -8)

I have the M12000 on the HDJ-80, and it's been a very faithful beast. However, on the lighter FZJ-80, I got the Warn 9500ti 'coz it's waterproof and faster than a 24v M12000.

Wanr is marketing the 9500XP, as the *new* competition winch with continous duty solenoids. I wonder how good it really is in the real world ?

Get the commercial ARB bar and the 8274 and never look back! Don't even worry about the power and all that crap! 8274 is known as the work horse of the industry.

Ali

ps remember to size your front coil springs accordingly for the extra weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom