Winch Cable question - kink (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a used Warn M10000 for my FJ60/ARB fr. bumper. While inspecting it prior to installation I unspooled some of the cable to give it a look-see...I saw something that looked alot like this...Do I need to replace the cable?

Last edited:
I had a spot like that on my old cable and got a synth line. Switch to synthetic and never have to worry about that problem plus you save with some weight up front. Make sure you also ditch the roller fairlead and get a hawse if you go to synthetic line.

The short answer is yes.

Thanks

thanks - I don't want to take any risks. I'm going synthetic.

While we are on synthetic rope. My main reason for not going to it is that most of the terrain we have around here involved mud, red mud, I'm afraid the mud will cause problems with the synthetic rope kind of like sand paper. Anybody have some ideas why it wouldn't?

Trollhole, I don't see how that would out way the benefits of syn. rope. I have some on order just for the safety aspect. You could always try rinsing the rope.

Plenty of mud, red clay where I reside, use synth no problems no worries.

Don't know jack about winching, but dirt in a climbing rope shortens its life by a whole lot. Little bits of silica in there slowly chopping up fibers.

Hayes

Hayes said:
Don't know jack about winching, but dirt in a climbing rope shortens its life by a whole lot. Little bits of silica in there slowly chopping up fibers.

Hayes

Dirt in cable will also shorten its like life although not a quickly. I'd still rather roll the dice on synthetic for safety.

Done both and they are 2 very different animals.

hmmm...what do you mean by that?

OK, I'm curious. What do you mean by "2 very different animals"? I'm totally down with the safety side - which is my main reason to want to go that route.

do you think there are pros/cons to each? if so, what?

thanks!

CardinalFJ60 said:
I recently bought a used Warn M10000 for my FJ60/ARB fr. bumper. While inspecting it prior to installation I unspooled some of the cable to give it a look-see...I saw something that looked alot like this...Do I need to replace the cable?

If the rest of the cable is ok, is it close enough to the end to cut and attach another thimble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom