Winch broke? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My winch broke and I don't know what is going on. I was towing out some guy on some muddin trail and when I winched in it worked for like a couple of seconds then I saw it getting bound up so I spooled it out and tried to winch back in and it just stopped. It won't go in or out electrically. All it does is make a clicking sound whenver the button is pressed. Any idea on what to do? I go wheelin in two days at GWNF and it probably would be helpful to have. Thanks a lot.

What brand?

Change your solenoids....

It is a Warn XD 9000. What are solidnoids? I know I am dumb as bricks when it comes to this but I don't really know much about the actual mechanics of it.

stuck in GA said:
It is a Warn XD 9000. What are solidnoids? I know I am dumb as bricks when it comes to this but I don't really know much about the actual mechanics of it.
A solenoid is a switch that is closed or opened by an electromagnet, they are generaly use to control high currents (the winch motor) with low current (the current that activates the electromagnet). If the winch didn't use solenoids you would have to have some really heavy wire going to the remote switch, and a really big switch to control it.

stuck in GA said:
What are solidnoids?

They are what is clicking, and are most likely not working properly...

Any decent Warn shop should have them on hand... along with instructions for their removal and instal.

*** Remember to disconnect the power cables to the winch when you do this. ***

Good luck!

-Steve

Yeah I don't think it would be making a clicking noise if the cables were loose. Oh and where would i go about gettting the soilinoids. I am in the middle of nowhere. Should I just go directly through warn or would a normal autoparts dealer carry them?

stuck in GA said:
Yeah I don't think it would be making a clicking noise if the cables were loose. Oh and where would i go about gettting the soilinoids. I am in the middle of nowhere. Should I just go directly through warn or would a normal autoparts dealer carry them?

Call Mincz Tire 804 794-5224. They sell Warn products and know their stuff. They are in Richmond

stuck in GA said:

When your battery is dead on most cars or you have a loose battery cable the starter solinoid will engage or just click because of a dead battery or loose connection. A winch works on the same principal. If your saying its clicking makes me think its a loose cable. The reason solinoids click in succession is when there is not enough voltage causing the starter or winch motor to draw almost all the power dropping the voltage it even further which make the power to the solinoid coil loose power which causes it to disengage. Once it disengages there is enough power at the solinoid (since the starter/ winch motor doesn't have power) for it to reengage. It does this several times a second.

If you say it clicks just once when you try to engage it then I would say most likely a solinoid. To check loose cables cost 0$ a solinoid is $$.

Josh, don't get stressed. You're not likely to need it this weekend.

The real question is did you get your buddy out of the mud hole? :)

Yes I got him out of the mud hole with some tugs of a strap. And it is one click everytime you try to reel it in or out. Yeah I will probably go to that guy eric and get some solonoids. Oh and yeah your right I probably won't need it at GWNF since we are gonna be with a lot of people. Thanks for the help.

Could be that you fried the motor. Solenoids are supposed to click, that's what they do as they're just HD switches. With a burnt starter you might hear the solenoid click but the starter not turn the engine - same with a winch.

I'd want to check it out before starting to buy stuff that might not help it.

Seems like Woody did some winch writeups in the technical links and one had some info about checking out the solenoid sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom