Will the FJC see a V8 for 08? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any rumors out there about when they will offer the V8 in the FJ cruiser?

I doubt it, it doesn't need it and it would really muddle the line between the current Toyota SUV segments. One could hope, though.

If they do, I hope they put a 6-speed manual behind it. That would be awesome!

Michael

Don't think it'll happen....the current trend, for many reasons, is to lighter, smaller and more efficient engines.

what it needs it's a 4:1 t-case not a V8 then engine is torque happy.

gearguywb said:
Don't think it'll happen....the current trend, for many reasons, is to lighter, smaller and more efficient engines.

Space should not be an issue and no reason a v8 wouldn't get 18 mpg. and the weight....hmmmm, and they sound sooo good.:D :D

The small fake air scoop just above the radiator on the hood seems to suggest a V8 is being planned. the 4runner with a V8 adds the hood scoop.

Maybe not, but I prefer to believe that the fake scoop is there as a place holder as oppose to just a tacky cosmetic.

We'll see....

The FJC's hood scoop is a styling image carried over from the FJ40. As with the headlight bezel trim, the little hood scoop is a stylistic feature.

The 4Runner/Tacoma hood scoop (both V6 & V8 Sport Edition model only) is for styling only.
It is a carryover from the Japanese 4Runner (Hilux Surf) where the hood scoop is a functional feature of the diesel engine, which is not offered here.

FirstToy said:
The FJC's hood scoop is a styling image carried over from the FJ40. As with the headlight bezel trim, the little hood scoop is a stylistic feature.

The 4Runner/Tacoma hood scoop (both V6 & V8 Sport Edition model only) is for styling only.
It is a carryover from the Japanese 4Runner (Hilux Surf) where the hood scoop is a functional feature of the diesel engine, which is not offered here.

I'll be sure to pass this information on to my know-it-all buddy who misinformed me. Thanks

I would prefer a million times over a diesel that gets 30mpg than a V8 thats going to get 20....

jfonz said:
I would prefer a million times over a diesel that gets 30mpg than a V8 thats going to get 20....

30 mpg for a diesel is a bit optimistic, considering that diesel only gets about 30 percent better mileage than gasoline engines, and that percentage is decreasing with the new US emission standards for diesels.

Michael

The jeep liberty CRD gets 26-28 MPG, which isn't quite 30 mpg but its alot closer to 30 than it is 20. but ya 30mpg is what I'd rather have, not saying I'll get it by any means.

I would think it might be a bit tough in the FJC also becuase of weight issues but it would be way cool if they did it, but even 24mpg would be a pretty cool thing. Jeeps new blue tec deisel is estimated to get 23-24mpg in a grand cherokee & at the same time be the cleanest diesel the world has ever seen....

Toyota already makes a great diesel engine, they just won't export it to the U.S. :confused:

The new FJ doesn't need a V8, it is peppy enough as it is. With a 6 speed manual you can use as much gasoline as you want :D

jfonz, this isn't a Jeep forum.

:beer:

I would not want a V8.
Having come from driving a '91 4Runner with the 3.slow engine since late '98, the 4.0 is one monster of an engine.

Plenty of HP, torque, and it flat out moves when I want to merge on a freeway or pass someone.

I could not see wanting anymore power unless it was going to be used for racing.

If you need more power, put on the super charger available from URD
http://www.urdusa.com/

Yes, they are working on one for the FJ, Demello has one on his FJ I believe.

Here is a link to the power and TQ curves of the V6, V8 and VVTi V8. They all look pretty much the same, part from the non VVTi V8 (older one) dropping a bit of above 4000 RPM.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666

I seriously doubt Toyota will offer the V8 on the FJC, mainly due to positioning of the FJC. As in the pricing of the V8 will add a nice $1500 or so to the price, but even more the fact that Toyota made the MT the top model in the FJC line with fulltime 4WD transfer case. Toyota does not have a MT for the V8, and probably will never make one. The rest of the driveline and AT tranny are all the same as the 4R. Obviously the diff gear ratio of the AT is exactly the same as the 4R (V6 or V8 now) at 3.727. The MT diff ratios are the same as the 03-04 V6 4R at 3.909.

The V6 has plenty of punch for the FJC, and the FJC is not aimed at carrying or towing the loads of the 4R or GX.

So unless Toyota sees the need to make the AT the top model and require some extra power for the competition, it is highly unlikely to see the V8. It is a recreational vehcile, not a luxury model where the additional smoothness and power of the V8 is required to compete for certain customers.

BTW the US is the only market where the V8 is offered in any of the 120 platform vehicles.

in my opinion given the market the FJC is targeting. I do not think a V8 is needed. Given the scenario that the FJC is a huge sucess as an offroad vehicle and the eventually go against the jeep a bit more. The only change that I can see coming is a longer stroke V6 kinda resembling the F series, specifically the 3F, and a different Transfer case. But I don't think there's any need for those 2 extra cylinders with today's technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom