Will 35s slow my 97 LX450 down too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this topic has been discussed many times before. But I want some clear-cut opinions on whether or not 35 inch tires will slow my rig down? Obviously it will slow it down some. However I want to know if it will slow down enough to annoy me. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma so it is not that high of elevation. I believe we are at a little over 1000 feet. I'm debating on whether or not to get size 295. I like the look of 35 inch tires but if it will drastically slow me down I think I might skip the lower size.

my main question is Will I regret getting 35 inch tires? If I want to maintain a nice streetable Drive , Should I go with a lower size?

I'm in Pittsburgh PA area and I run Goodyear duratrac in a 315/75-16 on stock gears. I don't find it bad at all. The truck was slow when stock and now it's a little slower. Go for it.

Only you can really answer that question! For myself, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I can tell you that after riding in rigs on 35s, you're doing a lot more downshifting on smaller inclines that mine on 33s won't. So, if you're okay with downshifting for power constantly, then it'll be fine. Otherwise, these vehicles are just slow when the pedal is pushed in too far. Regardless, the torque is there to move the vehicle efficiently (IMO - also have a 5.7 Tundra for comparison) at cruising speed.

Do you think you need 35's / 315's?

If so, cool - but I bet alot of us would have quit at 33's & a OME lift years ago, and still have the capabilty we individually NEED, without the extra BS 35's give you for that 3% of the time you really spend on a trail.

Not saying you don't need it - just maybe read that "what would you do different?" Thread alot of us have commented in.

If you really need 35's cool - if not your 80 will feel better than on 35's when you run down the highway, or turn corners (CG) in town.

If you do it, it'll be fine for awhile - you'll leave that "PWR" button on (burned out the light in my dash) & maybe eventually regear, but it's not like if you did this living at 4K+ elevation.

EDIT - if you need to tow, you'll be a little underwhelmed, say the least.
At least with those P cars you'll remember what 80mph in under 3 minutes is. GL.

Stock size/type tires will handle/ride/brake/perform the best on the road. For wheeling, the biggest tire that fits will perform best. It's a compromise, where are you comfortable?

Last edited:
Land cruisers are always going to be a compromise. The experience I had with 35's and 37's is that there really isn't much difference until you start driving it on the freeway doing 65+ with inclines...that was the only time i felt that I should have not put big tires..

If you state that where you live is flat, you will have no remorse in putting 35's or 37's....

Mine rolls around fine. They are great off road, and in highways, but I went to the mountains last weekend, and I had my foot to the floor, and still had to pull over and let people by. Starting getting hot, so I stopped to let her cool. I'm not out to win any races, but I do hate slowing down traffic on single lane roads. I'm not going to change anything except work on my transmission kick down, as I can't seem to stay in 2 when I manually downshift. It keeps popping out and losing RPMs as if it's just going back into D. I'm happy with the change to 35 for 90% of the time.

Do you think you need 35's / 315's?

If so, cool - but I bet alot of us would have quit at 33's & a OME lift years ago, and still have the capabilty we individually NEED, without the extra BS 35's give you for that 3% of the time you really spend on a trail.

Not saying you don't need it - just maybe read that "what would you do different?" Thread alot of us have commented in.

If you really need 35's cool - if not your 80 will feel better than on 35's when you run down the highway, or turn corners (CG) in town.

If you do it, it'll be fine for awhile - you'll leave that "PWR" button on (burned out the light in my dash) & maybe eventually regear, but it's not like if you did this living at 4K+ elevation.

EDIT - if you need to tow, you'll be a little underwhelmed, say the least.
At least with those P cars you'll remember what 80mph in under 3 minutes is. GL.

Did you say NEED? There is NO need to it, it is all WANT!! Don't kid yourself. But, as Tools said, it is all compromise for each individual. If yournot sure about 35s, then just try as set for a while without the extra lift and see if it is OK with YOU. If so, then install appropriate lift and wheel it. If not, there is a pretty good market for 35s, so sell them and get 33s, or whatever.

I have 35s, on my 94 FJZ80 and live around 4,500 feet. IMO they are not that bad....you will be going slower up the hills, but around town it's not a big deal. However If you plan on towing something that might be a totally different story. In short I like em, and wouldn't go back to a 33 inch tire.

Being that you're in Tulsa, I think you'll be OK (ha, I punned!) I wouldn't recommend it if you lived up here in the Mountains, but that's a different scenario.

my $.02

From what I have read on all these threads-33s are at about max without being noticeable. It will depend a LOT on how you normally drive and in what conditions, kind of roads and situations. I like being able to negotiate city traffic and cruise up river valley grades at 40 in OD with the converter locked and still accelerate on 265s. I'd try to find one around you to ride in with 35s.

I know this topic has been discussed many times before. But I want some clear-cut opinions on whether or not 35 inch tires will slow my rig down? Obviously it will slow it down some. However I want to know if it will slow down enough to annoy me. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma so it is not that high of elevation. I believe we are at a little over 1000 feet. I'm debating on whether or not to get size 295. I like the look of 35 inch tires but if it will drastically slow me down I think I might skip the lower size.

my main question is Will I regret getting 35 inch tires? If I want to maintain a nice streetable Drive , Should I go with a lower size?
I have no doubt you'll regret getting 35" tires from your post. The only time you'll see a positive result with the 35s is in serious off roading. I'm talking about the kind where your scraping things on rocks and needing spotters type of wheelin' - the best kind for most of us. :bounce: The rest, including "a nice streetable Drive" will be negative. That's performance, component wear including brake pads and all drive train components. The 80 is overbuilt, for sure, and able to handle it, but the life of certain parts of the drive train and brakes will be shorter. In other words, your low maintenance 80 will be a little different, if you want to stay on top of things and keep it reliable. For most gearheads that's not a problem - we love to work on our rigs. But, for others - it turns out to be a pain. Oh, one other benefit (if you will) of 35s on the street: It looks cool and if that's important - go for it. :cheers:

Reading between the lines I would say you need to try a rig with the larger wheels to get a feel for it, make a decision on your intended use and also remember your brakes will be less effective for a given pedal pressure.

regards

Dave

My brother put 35's on his '80 about a month ago. I warned him not to, knowing that these beasts can't spare what little acceleration they have to begin with. But after running it for a while, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Try to get a new set of wheels too, that way you can switch out to the 33's when you want to go racing again.

Mine is on 34's, and it seems to have plenty of giddy up. Its not much slower to 60 than my accord, amd has enough torque to power up the hills here. Been averaging 17-18mpg too :D

Mine is on 34's, and it seems to have plenty of giddy up. Its not much slower to 60 than my accord, amd has enough torque to power up the hills here. Been averaging 17-18mpg too :D

Gonna have to call BS on that one. The only way you are getting 17-18mpg is if you can't calculate the math or you drive 40mph downhill ALL THE F&%$#@G TIME!! I am on 35's with stock gears and top out at 12mpg calculated at the pump. Even though the ScanGuage says an avg of 13-14mpg.

To the OP, I agree with a previous poster that I find going from 285's to 315's that it downshifts much more on hills that it didn't do before and it is a little slower off the line. I also dropped maybe 1-2 mpg's.

No kidding? 17-18mpg?? Do you have gears loaded and armor??

I'd like to know what you're doing with your rig coz I'm not even close to being lucky to get 12mpg with all bells and whistles loaded.

Been averaging 17-18mpg too :D

Sorry, no way.

OP, replied to your PM. No regrets here going to 315s from stock. Never considered anything else. Gas mileage sucks already and it's slow already. Wheels aren't going to make a noticeable difference IMO. I don't wheel much, most of my driving is road. 3600 miles road trip a couple summers ago was a blast...wasn't thinking about tires. Do what you want, everyone will give you their opinion on what works for them so you have to determine for yourself in the end.

No kidding? 17-18mpg?? Do you have gears loaded and armor??
I'd like to know what you're doing with your rig coz I'm not even close to being lucky to get 12mpg with all bells and whistles loaded.

Maybe the rig is for sale... I haven't checked lately, but a few years back, every 80 for sale got at least 15+ mpg...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom