Wilderness camping around Ouray, CO? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah for bait, probably worms or salmon eggs...and there are generally no wide ranging limitations on that, just usually no bait in Gold Medal Waters. Check the Colorado Fishing regs. If you have kids, this might be an option for them...

I messed up on the earlier post: THOMAS lures (not Thompson) are the lures that have worked well for me for almost 20 years now. The 'Colorado" spoons and 'Bouyant" spoons are the ones that have worked the best for me over the years, in all colors at one time or another...Also Tasmanian Devil lures work really well too, and sometimes catch the big ones...

Another option is to fish flies on a spin set up. Get some casting bubbles, and some nymphs like a caddis nymph, Hare's Ears, Phesant Tails, Scuds, Damselfly nymphs, stuff like that. Other than the fact that you want/have to reel it in ridiculously slow, sometimes this is the most productive way to fish high mountain lakes!

Good luck, and remember, post pics or it never happened!:cool:

Thanks for the info! I went out and bought a handful of Rooster Tails and Mepps spinners in addtion to my Panther Martins. If the fish don't want any of those, they must be vegetarin bottom feeders. I'll get some worms and salmon eggs locally. Coop will prolly try the fly fishing, so we can compare results.

And yes, if I catch anything over 12", I will take pics.

30 days and counting

Anyone interested in joining us? A trail guide would be awesome! Just think of the stories you can tell your friends about them dumbass TX flatlanders..... :hillbilly:

My 12 year old son is coming, and I think there will be one or two women.

I'm so tempted to tag along....may have to skip work - luckily I own the joint :)

Only prob is dealing with wife and kiddos on a 5 day camping excursion may be a lil' bit much - 2 y/o daughters turn into dragons on long road trips....may be able to go and bug out 1/2 way or so thru the week.

I'll get in touch with you if I can make it - hopefully middle of next week.

I've had great luck the past 2 weeks with some spinners, lime green with red dots and a gold /silver spinner on em. Son and I caught 7 trout last weekend - darn good :)

Come one, come all! So far, we have 2 trucks (a Taco and Coop's 87 Xtra cab), 5 Jeeps, and my 40. I expect there will be no phone service once we leave Silverton, so if anyone thinks they may want to meet up, PM me or Coops2k. Here's our itinerary:

Monday 25th - Leave Durango around 8-9, head up to Silverton, expect stops along the way, top off tanks in Silverton and then on to the trails - Stoney Pass and head to the Rio Grande head waters. Camping north of Silverton or where we can find a good spot.

Tuesday 26th - The Alpine Loop, planning a restock & gas in Lake City and maybe lunch. If we get the whole loop done, then camping back around where we did last night.

Wednesday 27th - There are a bunch of trails in the area, we will do the trails and check out some mines, then camp south of Ouray or in Ouray. This night or tomorrow morning we can restock & gas. Might even go into Ouray for dinner and some beers.

Thursday 28th - Most of us will do Yankee Boy Basin & Imogene Pass in to Telluride. Should someone choose to do Black Bear, then we will meet back up in Telluride for any restock & gas, then on to Alta Lakes for camping.

Friday 29th - Ophir Pass back towards Silverton and then up to Clear Lake. Now depending on time, we could do some more trails north of Silverton, the same area as Wednesday. I think there is a trail that comes into the back of the Purgatory ski area. But the plan is to be back to Durango around 4 or 5, get cleaned up and have dinner in Durango.

Durango,Silerton and Ouray

Wow what a great trip you have planned. I'll be doing almost the exact trip you are but heading to Silerton Saterday afteroon. I sure hope I run into you guys on the trail.
Have a great adventure,

Scott

I am so looking forward to this trip, think the truck is ready and I am packed, well for the most part. all that is left to do, is load the truck

Wow what a great trip you have planned. I'll be doing almost the exact trip you are but heading to Silerton Saterday afteroon. I sure hope I run into you guys on the trail.
Have a great adventure,

Scott

here is a picture of my truck if you happen to see it, say hi and visit
DSC_7927.jpg

Sounds great! A full trip report with pix is needed...or this thread will end in failure :)

B

Rest assured, this thread will link to the video and picture thread.
:cheers:

Friday 29th - Ophir Pass back towards Silverton and then up to Clear Lake. Now depending on time, we could do some more trails north of Silverton, the same area as Wednesday. I think there is a trail that comes into the back of the Purgatory ski area. But the plan is to be back to Durango around 4 or 5, get cleaned up and have dinner in Durango.

AVOID the trails the end up behind Purgatory...very bumpy not too fun PITA...avoid.

If you need more passes north of Silverton, do California Pass or Hurricane Pass. Both are as good or better than everything else you have listed so far, except for Imogene which is in a league of it's own...

Hope the Jheapers have extra parts (axels/inners):p

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!

Imma headin out! Hope to see another Cruiser on the trail! Be back in 10 days with pics!

:cheers:

I am on my phone but can't wait to read all this when I get home. We are going to ouray via red river nm we will leave Arkansas august 5. I would really like to meet up with anyone interested. There will be 4 of us in my buddy's stock and locked 80.

posted on the fly using my thumbs.

Hope trails are treating you guys good, headed up from dfw on aug 1st to alpine loop. First trail trip in the fully stock/locked 80.

Lots of good info on here, thanks!

Please post up the current trail conditions when you get back

If anybody sees a loner green 80 with tx plates, im probably lost and could use some help, anybody is welcome to join!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom