Widen stock wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.employees.org
Someone asked about widen stock wheels, here is one widen to 8" with 2" back spacing, Bolton's Classic Wheels in Gardena, California did the job, it took them only 1 day to finish everything. The the outer wheel cylinders were made in US and DOT approved. I paid 55 bucks per wheels but they later increased the priced to 65 bucks. The stocks wheels came from a nice and clean '78 FJ40, I paid 25 bucks for 5. Btw, at that price Bolton will paint the wheels for you either black or silver but I asked them not to because I want to properly clean and prime them myself.

:) Sure beats the heck out of having to go out and find wheels with that kind of width and back spacing.....Not to mention retaining that "stock" look....what size rubber you going to put on them?? :cheers:

Can you take a picture from the side, I want to see what they did a little more clearly. That's a good price, stockton and willamette charged a lot more...

Yes, please show us a picture from the side. The picture you show looks like they cut the center section out from your stock wheels and welded into a wider rim.

And while your at it ...

Please send us an update when you get the tires mounted.
How do they balance out and do they run true?

Also, some pics with the tires and hubcaps!

One more question: Do you think you could have gone with
3" backspacing instead of 2" ??

I have a set of new 35" MTRs that I am going to mount on after Chrismas

Medusa, you're correct. I am out town right now but have a picture of the back side of the wheel on my laptop.

Will post more pics once I paint them install on the truck with the spring over suspension.

/td

[quote author=rgentry link=board=1;threadid=9101;start=msg79734#msg79734 date=1072226842]

One more question: Do you think you could have gone with
3" backspacing instead of 2" ??
[/quote]

For my set up with the taller spring-over, I would like to give the truck a wider stand, that's why the 2" bs, I don't really want the extra expense and trouble with spacers and also I run much larger tie-rod ends. Personally I think my truck lwill look more agressive a bit wider.

/td

I'll poach onto this thread and add pic of my stock wheels widened to 8.5". Just got them back from the powder coater yesterday.

pic added.

And another. This is from the top. They basically cut the front lip and then weld in the section you are adding. The stock wheel is there - just with the extra steel to widen it at the front. Still have the stock 3.5" back spacing as well. Plan to mount tires on Fri and will post again when the 40 is rolling again.

Andrew

Hey NJFJ40 , Rims look great who did them for you? I can't find anyone in the NY area to do that. I May have to cross the bridge to get them done.

Thanks

Just a word of advise,
I did that to the rims on one of my old BJs they were split rim though
we went trecking n lowered the pressure n hit a tree stump n bent the rim ,the retaining rim fflew off n thats the last time we did that,be carefull if you are seriously going off road with them
You might need to fit some bracing on the offset side
just info
Regds
Ron

I used 7" 1970s buick wheels knocked out the centers and reversed them on my 64 centers 3.5 back spaceing. 1964 style caps are hard to come by so I'm using 40 s pontiac ones I found

Steel - Tim at Wheel Works in Burlington NJ did them for me. I don't have his number handy but his shop is listed so just call Directory Assistance. He widened them and I had them powdercoated at Best Blast in Dover NJ.

Hey njfj40, what did you pay per wheel to have them widened? And could you float me the number? I live in pa, and have a friend in jersey that has a fj. Send me a email. Thanks, Pete

Pete - you have mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom