why so few HJ's in USA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so how much gas does an fj consume on daily driving? my HJ does about 11 liter per. 100km... or about 23 mpg...

The old 3F in my FJ73 used about 17-18 litres per 100klm.
I replaced it with a 1HZ and it now gets 12-13ltr/100
Australia is somewhere between Norway and the US on fuel prices,hence we have roughly an equal amount of diesel and petrol powered landcruiser's
About half the petrol powered landcruisers are running on LPG

From my seat, I see the reason the US never got diesel Cruisers as the government's response to the US auto manufacturers and US gas/oil interests. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, and the rest would have lost significant market share if Toyota had been able to supply an excellent four-wheel-drive vehicle that was economical. Think about it: if you had the choice of a 70 series diesel or ANY gasoline powered Jeep, which would you choose???
Look no further than Audi for modern, efficient, and high-octane diesel engines. The winner (by a landslide) of the 2006 American Le Mans series was a diesel powered Audi. The damn thing is nearly silent as it hammers it's way around the track. Hopefully US lawmakers will pursue a head/ass-ectomy and start making decisions that actually make sense! BRING DIESEL CRUISERS TO THE US - WE'LL BUY 'EM!!!!

Even Mercedes Benz doesn't offer diesels here!

yah they sell diesels in Canada again. Google "blue tec" that is the name of the new engines.

Designed for ULSD.

When the new algae diesel production starts the roads will be covered in diesels.

From my seat, I see the reason the US never got diesel Cruisers as the government's response to the US auto manufacturers and US gas/oil interests. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, and the rest would have lost significant market share if Toyota had been able to supply an excellent four-wheel-drive vehicle that was economical. Think about it: if you had the choice of a 70 series diesel or ANY gasoline powered Jeep, which would you choose???

If that were true, why were so few BJ60's, HJ60's and BJ70's sold in Canada? The problem at the time was the consumers reluctance to buy a diesel because of GM's disaster of a diesel in the early '80's! When I bought my '82 BJ60 in '89 the boss where I worked had a Malibu which originally had the 350 "diesel". The GM "diesel" engine had been replaced three times and was finally replaced with a 350 gasser!! Everyone in the office thought I was a moron to buy a diesel. The simple fact that I had a diesel that was DESIGNED as a diesel and the GM 350 "diesel" was a gasser with a diesel head didn't seem to matter to them. All they could see was diesel = BAD!

It goes back to providing what the market wants and that has been big V8 gassers until recently. It's taken probably 5-10 years for folks who tow 5th wheels to see the benefits of diesels as tow vehicles and motor homes but even now some folks still buy gassers for that purpose. It may not make sense but that's the way it is.

Folks like me are the exception. When I bought my BJ60 I wasn't even looking at anything else. Even now I wouldn't even consider anything but a diesel.

I'm hoping that the influx of JDM diesel SUV's into Canada has Toyota Canada and Toyota USA scratching their marketing heads. The fact that folks are willing to pony up $20,000+ on a used vehicle sight unseen, wait for 3-4 months, drive on the right hand side and deal with private parts sales (because Toyota Canada will NOT support them) must say something to these guys about their current offerings.

We'll see if they change over the next 5 years or so but I'm not holding my breath! I don't think the average car buyer wants a diesel bad enough yet. I'm going to ensure that my BJ60 makes it till Toyota once again imports diesels!

yah they sell diesels in Canada again. Google "blue tec" that is the name of the new engines.

Designed for ULSD.

When the new algae diesel production starts the roads will be covered in diesels.

They must have just started again 'cause they weren't selling diesels for a few years already. As for the roads being "covered in diesels", I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think the demand is great enough yet.

Frankly, with the rising oil prices you'd think that diesel production using algae would have happened for a while already. It would be better to keep the dollars in our pockets than to send it to Iran and those other nutbars to attack us with!

well.... get your norwegian/english dictionaries and check out the norwegian land cruiser club website www.nlck.no always some HJ's for sale there... (we have the steering wheel on the left side like you) gasoline cruisers are very rare here... if you want to buy something from over here a good tip would be to offer rustfree bodyparts i exchange.... we are desperate for rear-hatches, tailgates, doors and stuff like that... i know it's not cheap to ship cars across the atlantic but still...:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom