Why is the 25 always the trail leader? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
I field tested Mike's passenger seat on Saturday at the Fall Gathering in New Hampshire. He was trail leader for the "stock" rigs, all of which had at least 4" of tire advantage on the 25. Believe it or not, he's still saying that he's going to restore this rig. :D

Mike, hope today goes as smoothly, I'm going to bed. :)
mud.JPG

Yeah, this is the right trail Mike. Says right here on the map.......

Long Water Crossing - Firm Bottom

I jumped like a girl when my side started to get damp. :princess:
lwcfb.JPG

LMAO!!! I knew the pics would surface (unlike the 25). Yes, tis true, I wheeled her like she was suppose to be wheeled.

The Yankee Toys Fall Gathering was held this weekend in New Hampshire. In true FJ25 fashion, I decided to play the lotto and drove her the 250+ miles to the camp ground from CT to NH. The ride up was blissfull. An open top, warm weather, and backroads make the pressures of life disappear. I took the liberty of leading the stock runs the entire weekend.

Friday: The weather was perfect. I had just driven up 250 miles, set up camp, and eaten lunch. When I arrived, the stockers were itching to go, so we headed up Massasecum Avenue to play on some rocks. Massasecum Ave is a class VI road that will make any stock rig wince. I had never been to this area and to find a trail like this was very cool. I was expecting easy dirt roads and what I found was challenging hill climbs with scenic rides along the way.

Saturday: We decided to try to do the Homestead access trail which is supposed to be another class VI road. In my opinion, it was even more challenging than Fridays ride. We went from nice small rock climbs, to a muddy skidder trail, to a water crossing that ate me for lunch and we had to turn around, to a nice scenic dirt road, to a beaver dam that stopped us again, to another set of dirt roads. All in all a great day of fun. To top it off was a meal to die for when we arrived back at the camp ground. Thanks again to Jim C (FJ40Jim) for some insightfulness after the meal.

Sunday: With clouds looming, and me without a soft top, I decided to bag out on Sundays run and bee-line for home. (Not the bee-line like FG 2003 Randy!) Lucky I did, because the 25 decided to act up. Shortly after leaving, the red charge light came on. I stopped at a D+D on Rte 101 and get a coffee. When I came out, and tried to fire her back up, she told me no. Luckily, there was enough juice in the battery to fire her up again after letting her sit for a few minutes. I decided not to mess around and found the closest interstate ( 2 hours away) and headed home in the slow lane at 55 MPH. About an hour away from my destination, she started missing on a few cylinders. I kept going though and feathered the throttle. I got home finally and let her sit at idle while I unpacked my gear. Within 5 minutes, she died completely, but she got me home.

Glad to hear you made it back Mike. Good thing you didn't have to break out the hand crank. Get one of those little solar charger thingies and you could run for weeks. ;)

Me? I, ummm, left early to pick up a set of tires for my Dad's truck. :D

Some more pictures from the weekend (since I've got nowhere else to post them). Lineup on Saturday morning, Mike leading a couple Tacos, a nice 40, a 60 and a 4Runner.
P9240002.JPG

This was really pretty country once you got a chance to stop and take it all in. ;p Dave's son ran a cable out to the 25.
P9240004.JPG

IH8MUD :frown:
P9240006.JPG

Mark's aluminum tubbed OEM soft top 40, another rig which looked like it's owner had made a wrong turn on the way to the car show. :D
P9240007.JPG

Have you checked all that eexpensive Amsoil yet? :flipoff2:

lol, I would could never do that to my truck, but I really like the pics!!!

Mike before I would replace the gear box oil with Amsoil I would run cheap gear oil with some automatic transmission fluid mixed in to clean everything up first. I drove my white one this last weekend, the first time in months to a local club member house to get the frame welded up. Both my running 25s have been stuck in the middle of big city all summer :frown: . I forgot how quite the thing runs in fourth gear. If you're hearing noise from your transmission in fourth it's probably your bearings. The Ebrake transfer shifter opening makes a great heater with the windows open. Not the greatest when it's over 100 outside :confused: . So in the winter time all I have to do open the windows and I get heat :rolleyes:.

So mike when are you going to start the tread on the 25 restore you're doing. The 45LV guys have got a couple of treads going. All we have is Jim's project kusty and now that he has #48 I think that's at a stand still until he figures out what he going to do with that one. All I can say is I'm glad all my VIN#s are so far apart. I won't even think about starting a restore on my gray one until I can get a shop built. I'm not going to start a tread showing all the 25 parts that get removed and 40s parts go back on to the one I want to get rid of :D . So unless someone else wants to start one we're counting on you MIke :).

John

I am wrapping up the last project before I head in full steam on the white 25.

DSC00020_sm.JPG

Specs on this are:
1995 4RUnner
SAS with Marlin kit
Coils removed/ leafs installed in rear
30 spline chromo longfields
dual 23 spline t cases with 2.28/4.7 gears respectively
high angle driveshafts
sitting on 35" creepy crawlers

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :eek:

What's that doin in this section??? :ban: :ban:

Now..............get to work, I'm taking this weekend off. :flipoff2:

That's how I would like to set of my 04 4Runner but some how I don't think my wife would let me, something about it being her's. She well let me take the running boards off. 5'3" and she doesn't even use them. I guess they help stones from chipping the doors :rolleyes: Nice looking 4Runner now throw some bumpers on it and get started on the 25. Just kidding.

John

Maybe you'll make a trip north with the 4Runner stuffed full of 25 parts?

Plenty of solid axles around here to swap in...........it's one of the last things to rust away. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom