why hasn't an after market tune been developed for our 5.7's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's Mat's response:

Mathew Wilson (OVTune)

Jul 24, 18:39 EDT

Hello,

We have some plans for development in the future but we do not have any details at the moment.

Thank you.
-
OVTune - Lead Developer/ECU Assembly Development/Toyota Calibration Lead
www.ovtuned.com
CUSTOMER SUPPORT / BUSINESS HOURS
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM EST ( MON - FRI )
Office closed on weekend/holidays
Please allow 1-3 business days for response to all inquiries.
Probably a MY19 thing. Mine's a 13.

This is my rant on the Harrop thread. Has some insight on the 5.7 tunability across all it's platforms:

The Harrop SC unit itself is as good if not better than the TRD/Magnuson quality wise. Performance on the other hand, the TVS2650 is simply much more efficient and easier on the engine than the TVS1900. From experience the TVS2650 makes the same amount of boost/pressure at much lower blower RPMs and has more headroom for more power later on but it gets way more complicated (more on that below).

Their customer experience I have no idea about. But the few guys I met at the custom auto show last April here in Abu Dhabi were extremely friendly and didn't mind me and my friends asking questions for an hour at all.

With that out of the way, no offence but this product and even the Magnuson isn't meant for the US market in its current state. Especially if you're not willing to spend a huge amount of money and time to do it right. I lived in the states for 5 years and maybe seen 2-3 LC200 in that period. Aftermarket support is non existent at least performance wise. Here in the middle east they're literally everywhere and the aftermarket shows.

The 3UR platform has been R&D'd to hell and back since 2007 in many shops around the UAE alone. In the past two years, multiple options to tune the engine have become available and this includes almost all Toyota ECUs up until 2018 (Toyota changed ECU encryption in 2018, but it was cracked earlier this year. 2019 are still encrypted though). You can reflash the stock ECU almost in every dyno shop, Unichip Piggybacks were the common solution for the longest time, and even standalone Motec, Link, Syvec and Haltech ECUs are available. HP tuners just came out with a solution as well to tune the factory ECU but they're using the same protocol as the other Stock ECU tuners albeit with a much better interface. Tuning is 100% not an issue here.

In the States however, even late model Tundras have been ditched by TRD as they can no longer be flashed at the dealership after a supercharger install. You're limited to a few options. DAP, OV tuning, HP tuner or pay +$3000 for a standalone like I did. DAP, OV and HP tuners as I said use the same protocol for the OEM ECU. DAP needs to visit your state/town to tune your truck and if there are any issues afterwards you either tow the truck to his shop or wait for him to visit your state another time (probably not until 6-12 months after if ever). OV claims their solution is available but I haven't seen anything from them yet. HP tuners is realistically your only reasonable option but unfortunately unless you have some experience tuning, you'll need to find someone who is willing to tune it for you and there aren't many tuners experienced with this platform in the US because unfortunately in stock form, the 5.7L is very fragile.

The 3UR has weak piston rings and even weaker rods. They're pretty much limited to 500whp on a very "light" dyno (550hp crank give or take). Head studs can hold 10-12 psi for 60k miles before lifting, that's from personal experience (I drag raced my truck and made over 80 passes at the track before lifting the heads). Both Magnuson and Harrop make about the same power and boost (Harrop more efficiently and has less stress on the engine) in stock form and you should be able to get +100k miles with them or even last forever If you drive it reasonably. My cousin's Long Travel Tundra with 35" tires has been running 8 psi for the past 7 years and over 160k miles with zero issues. If you want more power than that, you will need forged internals and they are not cheap. 800hp rated pistons and rods will set you back at least $3000, labor and machining depends on the shop but it ain't cheap either.

Regarding Harrop claiming the LC/LX doesn't require tuning after the install, even though I would never recommend doing it I might know what they're talking about. If you ever stick a wideband sensor in a GCC spec LC or LX, they're extremely rich for a naturally aspirated engine dipping to 10:1 AFR at high revs. Ignition timing is a joke too (14-16 degrees max). A dyno tune alone with proper 12.5:1 AFR and proper ignition timing (+22 degrees) yields at least 40 to 50 hp gains. However these are Middle East spec LC200s. Even though they have the same engine as you guys in the states, they are rated to 362hp not 381hp so this might not apply to you guys. DAP might have helped Harrop in the states but the truck he tested it on was 100% tuned and not on factory tables. However Harrop had multiple shops here test it as well and I would bet some of those shops or owners who installed their units claimed their truck "works" with the stock tune by just swapping injectors to the ones TRD provided with their kit. To be clear that is absolutely not the right thing to do unless you want your truck to turn into a ticking bomb not to mention it will run extremely bad.

But I still have a hard time comprehending how a company as big as Harrop can recommend installing the supercharger on the stock maps. Are you sure they didn't mean stock ECU instead (which can clearly be tuned as I mentioned above)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom