Why does everyone keep the hardtop on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The last time I took the top off was for a trip into the Windriver mountains on the Union Pass road because it got so hot the first time. This trip my oldest boy was 3 the bikini top would not stay put it rained on the way up and then snowed on us in the mountains and then on the way to Jackson Hole, WY.

The only reason to take it off now would be to reseal the roof and replace the head liner.

My solution is two 40 , one topless and one with the hardtop on .
No top and door is very fun to drive , but is not my daily driver
I think there is a consensus, and it should be official. Two cruisers should henceforth be known as "The @jim land solution."
All in favor?
Now to convince the :princess:.

I used to take the top off for the summers, even in Northern BC. Roof and doors off felt awesome. I was young and didn't mind a little rain every now and then. Now that I'm back with a Cruiser, and an old man, I don't think I'll be taking the roof on and off. The rear corner windows are so iconic it's kinda sad not having them visible :) The body is in a lot nicer condition that my last one too, so I don't want to risk damage taking it off and on.

Because people think it's a Jeep without the top on.
I agree with that statement. I personally think it looks some much better with the top on. I’m in the process of rebuilding mine and the top is the last thing I’m worried about. However I think it looks a lot better with the front doors on without the top.
Other option is going with a soft top that looks OEM. I personally think that the best top soft tops on a FJ40 look even more so like a Jeep than having the hardtop off.

I am fully in favour of the @jim land solution. Solid plan.
Any ideas on how to convert a living room into a garage?

Well, first things first: a ramp up to the living room floor, then a garage door big enough to drive the 40 into the living room, then, position the big screen tv so you can watch it from the driver's seat, then install a hoist system to remove the top. . . Oh wait, this is the jimland solution, o.k. A big enough door to drive (2) 40's in, then

Ah fuggedabout it, buy a 60.

(ducks)

Raw Dog!

IMG_8969_HEIC-X3.jpg

I continue to search for the right FJ for myself. Once I buy the car I envision taking the top off through the summer. Why do photos always show the FJ’s with the top on? Is it uncomfortable when the top if off?
you dont have a clue what taking it off and putting it back on entails, and it has nothing to do about being UNCOMFORTABLE !!!
how about keeping the top SAFE while it off !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom