Why do my turn signals not flash?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks, I have tried everything I know of up to this point... :doh:

I put on new cheapo late model turn signals and now they don't flash. They come on, but do not flash. I did a PS conversion and took the turn signal switch off the steering tube (early model steering column) and laid it aside for the duration. When all went back together, no flashy :confused: Here's what I've done...

Made darn sure the turn signals are grounded with a ground strap on each one.

Checked the relay -- The hazards work and flash continuiously.

The switch makes the front/rear lamps come on and the signal light on the dash -- just no flashing. Both sides work the same.

All other electrics work just fine as they always have.

I'm down to it being the switch itself. Has to be. :mad:

Is there anything you think I can check before I go get a new switch somewhere? Anyone got one that they know is good???

Jody.

I'm not positive but I think the turn signals and emergency flashers have a diffrent 'flasher relay :beer: ' It sounds as if that is whats wrong. If the light comes on that says you have a good ground.

I carefully wired them correctly. Heck I've tried every incantation of cross-wiring I could think of when this first started...

Nope, I've held the flasher in my hand and switched the turn signals and the hazards -- they both use the same relay. I also checked this in the wiring diagram. One relay for both.

Jody.

Sounds simple and you've probably already checked it, but... this happened to me once, went to the dealer to buy a new flasher unit - he asked if I had checked my tail light bulbs. Appearently if one of the bulbs burn out, your flashers stop flashing.

Last edited:
Outback said:
I put on new cheapo late model turn signals and now they don't flash. They come on, but do not flash. Jody.

Did you use LED type lamps? The reason they don't flash is that either side isn't sinking enough current to trip the bimetal fasher and for sure LED lamps don't use enough current. Same thing happens when one bulb on a side burns out: The other light comes on, but it stays on.

Did they flash before with the old lamps? If so, then it is probably the new lamps and not the wiring.

If they are LED lamps, you can get a newer type electronic flasher unit.

Hey Jody,

If you get this one figured out let me know, mine don't work either. I bought a new Kiwk Wire harness for mine but don't have installed yet...been waiting to get Autometer gauges installed and do all at once. Besides it's not been that cold...just hang your arm out the window and do it the old fashioned way :D

Swap the bullbs out

Outback said:
Folks, I have tried everything I know of up to this point... :doh:

I put on new cheapo late model turn signals and now they don't flash. They come on, but do not flash. I did a PS conversion and took the turn signal switch off the steering tube (early model steering column) and laid it aside for the duration. When all went back together, no flashy :confused: Here's what I've done...

SWAP THE BULBS WITH YOUR OLD SIGNALS - This happened to me and that was the fix - Drove my body guy NUTS!

This I have not done. I will try it tonight.

Nope, tail lights working properly and bright.

Nope, no LEDs. OEM Toyota rear tail lights and cheapo front turn signals.

Sounds like the new bulbs don't carry enough current to trip the flasher. This is a Toyota "feature" that lets you know you have a bulb out. You could try putting the original bulbs back in, adding another bulb in parallel, putting a 20 ohm, 10 watt resister in parallel across the bulb, or getting an electronic flasher what will work no matter how much current is flowing.

This has happened to me, I went nuts trying to figure it out. The hazards and turn signals do use the same flasher, but the signals must use a different part of the flasher. My hazards worked too, but the turn signals would come on and not blink. I replaced the flasher as a last resort, and they started working again. I have the cheapo turn signals too, and they came with 5 watt bulbs. This is fine (and I believe correct) for the running lights, but the turn signal should be a regular 1156 21 watt bulb. Until I swapped out for 1156's my turn signals flashed super fast. Oddly enough though, the hazards flashed normally. These cheapo turn signals really suck, I can't wait to get some good ones.

Pin_Head

I put LED's in my rear bumper and had the same problem Jody is having and changed to a cheap standard flasher. Everything works but now my blink rate is very irratic ( believe it or not, it also changes with the temperature). How do you wire up an electronic flasher?

I haven't used one, but they appear to be plug compatible with the older thermal type flashers. You might bring your old one into your local parts store and find out.

The ones I've seen in the parts store have four or five terminals but I haven't found a wiring diagram or anything else to go from.

Captain said:
The ones I've seen in the parts store have four or five terminals but I haven't found a wiring diagram or anything else to go from.

They make all kinds of them: 2, 3, 4 terminals. Some of the pins you don't need. GM flashers have a wire that lights up the indicator lamp in the dash when the outside lamps are off. The main thing is that they are't sensitive to the circuit load or resistance.

BTW, I got kin in Ponca City. Relatives of the Nickles.

I went to highschool in Newkirk, 10 miles North of Ponca. Really small town. Small world huh?

I am not sure if this helps or hurts and I am not sure what you guys are calling cheapo signals but 1156's do not go into the OE front turn side signal indicator. In front yes but not to the side. Might want to check that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom