Why did you choose your front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On that note, does anyone happen to know if the TJM T17 sits tighter to the front grill/headlights than the full bar TJM T13?
Not exactly sure what you mean, but I have the t17 and compared to the 13 they literally look to be the same bumper design but the 13 has a few extra bells and whistles.

I notice some people allow more of a gap as they are mounting. so maybe thats what you're seeing.

Here is mine, I chose to have a pretty close gap with the fender, but still a little bit of room to breathe in case things get fun.

While I'm in here: i went with the t17 because of its high clearance, light weight and simple design. granted, there are better options out there for more protection. would this bumper save my front end in an impact? eh... probably not. You can pick up the t17 with one hand and easily install it yourself without a struggle. I had an arb deluxe on a 100 series a few years back and it felt like it could handle a good impact.

1629842943790.jpeg

Last edited:
I think your response partially answers my question. You're right, I was trying to assess whether there was a difference in how far the T13 / T17 sticks out from the front grill/headlights. For example, the ARB seems to stick out 9+ inches, Dissent ~5.5", etc.

I do seem to notice that some TJM bumper installs seem tighter to the body than others, but I didn't know if there were any slotted adjustment holes that allow for the bumper structure to be moved fore/aft/up/down and then the final placement pinned with additional bolts (a la Ironman 4x4 bumper). The profiles of the bumpers look very similar; however, I also didn't know if there were any design adjustments that were necessary/done to support the bull bars on the T13.

Thanks for the response, and your rig looks great with that wheel/tire combo.

Last edited:
Whatever bumper you choose, be sure to allow a gap for the frame to flex when you go off-roading. In this picture, it looks like the bumper was mounted too close to the body. But then when relaxed, it has a good gap like the 2nd picture.

1629808572705.png

1629808822289.png

I think your response partially answers my question. You're right, I was trying to assess whether there was a difference in how far the T13 / T17 sticks out from the front grill/headlights. For example, the ARB seems to stick out 9+ inches, Dissent ~5.5", etc.

I do seem to notice that some TJM bumper installs seem tighter to the body than others, but I didn't know if there were any slotted adjustment holes that allow for the bumper structure to be moved fore/aft/up/down and then the final placement pinned with additional bolts (a la Ironman 4x4 bumper). The profiles of the bumpers look very similar; however, I also didn't know if there were any design adjustments that were necessary/done to support the bull bars on the T13.

Thanks for the response, and your rig looks great with that wheel/tire combo.

Yes -- the ARB Dek
Whatever bumper you choose, be sure to allow a gap for the frame to flex when you go off-roading. In this picture, it looks like the bumper was mounted too close to the body. But then when relaxed, it has a good gap like the 2nd picture.

View attachment 2768431

View attachment 2768442

Agreed. Anything less than the full 15 millimetre gap between bar and body is risky. This gap is visible on my vehicle back at Post #136 in this thread. Both the body and the frame need some room to flex.

A few further pics may be of interest:

LC100 Bullbar SRS mounting.jpg

Shows the ARB Deluxe bar mounting point on my 2006 LC100 -- it is a design requirement in Australia and some other countries that ALL bullbars sold do not change the deformation characteristics of the vehicle. The Safety Restraint System (SRS) -- meaning airbags etc -- also must deploy in the same way as they would have before the bullbar was fitted. This the purpose of the 'concertina' section of the mounting brackets. Note the length of this mounting bracket from the end of the chassis rail. This is part of the reason for the designed protrusion of the bullbar from the front of the vehicle. The other cause is room for the winch behind the bullbar and in front of the first cross-member of the chassis -- a winch bar exists inside the bar of this vehicle but no winch has been installed. Note also the mounting point with thick rubber bush where the body is attached to the vehicle -- there are 10 of these mounting points around the vehicle. (The yellow recovery point is from RoadSafe, not ARB).

LC100 ARB Deluxe Bullbar Protrusion.jpg

The protrusion of the ARB Deluxe bar is about 9.5 inches in front of the radiator grille.

LC100 Body Chassis Mounting Locations.jpg

The naked chassis (picture credit: @Moridinbg). Note the proximity of the first cross-member to the front end of the chassis rail and also note the 10 mounting points for the body marked with red arrows -- all with rubber bushes added when the body is installed.

The point is that there will be some flex between the body and the chassis and some flex within the chassis. When a bullbar is installed some movement is visible and must be expected. This does not mean that the bar is loose -- although it is wise to re-torque the attaching bolts from time to time.

For these reasons the gap between the bar and the body needs to be maintained to avoid heavy, high stress contact of the bar with the body.

Last edited:
Yes -- the ARB Dek

Agreed. Anything less than the full 15 millimetre gap between bar and body is risky. This gap is visible on my vehicle back at Post #136 in this thread. Both the body and the frame need some room to flex.

A few further pics may be of interest:

View attachment 2769445
Shows the ARB Deluxe bar mounting point on my 2006 LC100 -- it is a design requirement in Australia and some other countries that ALL bullbars sold do not change the deformation characteristics of the vehicle. The Safety Restraint System (SRS) -- meaning airbags etc -- also must deploy in the same way as they would have before the bullbar was fitted. This the purpose of the 'concertina' section of the mounting brackets. Note the length of this mounting bracket from the end of the chassis rail. This is part of the reason for the designed protrusion of the bullbar from the front of the vehicle. The other cause is room for the winch behind the bullbar and in front of the first cross-member of the chassis -- a winch bar exists inside the bar of this vehicle but no winch has been installed. Note also the mounting point with thick rubber bush where the body is attached to the vehicle -- there are 10 of these mounting points around the vehicle. (The yellow recovery point is from RoadSafe, not ARB).

View attachment 2769446
The protrusion of the ARB Deluxe bar is about 9.5 inches in front of the radiator grille.

View attachment 2769447
The naked chassis (picture credit: @Moridinbg). Note the proximity of the first cross-member to the front end of the chassis rail and also note the 10 mounting points for the body marked with red arrows -- all with rubber bushes added when the body is installed.

The point is that there will be some flex between the body and the chassis and some flex within the chassis. When a bullbar is installed some movement is visible and must be expected. This does not mean that the bar is loose -- although it is wise to re-torque the attaching bolts from time to time.

For these reasons the gap between the bar and the body needs to be maintained to avoid heavy, high stress contact of the bar with the body.
Excellent overview @IndroCruise. Breaking out @Moridinbg 's pic of the prepped frame really sends it home. The 🇯🇵 thought/engineering that goes into these beasts is remarkable. A true testament to their continued longevity... ;)

Cheers mate,
G

Any 100 owner or any picture we can reference with a Dissent bumper paired with ARB AR32s installed in the front?
Curious about how it sits on the platform and the clearance left between the front grille to the backside heat sink of the lights and front edge of the bumper..
I eventually found out the answer to my question, the ARB AR32 (9” diameter) pair of lights can work without the dissent’s stinger option accessory, with that on the bumper it’s a No Go.

Loved mine on my hilux. Ahole driver deterrent back in Manila.
View attachment 2484463

Still contemplating if I “need” one on my Lx considering safety during road trips, chances of animal strike etc
Well, I eventually replaced the factory bumper Lol - went with the dissent aluminum and settled with a 3” spot lights from Diode Dynamics.
C43A3591-5DD6-40E1-9019-3886066C7203.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom