Opinions and install info - Harbor Freight 12k Winch w/ 98-02 ARB Bumper 3413050 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The HF Apex Badlands Winch is certainly a "budget" winch. And with that comes the territory..... i.e. quality control, customer serice, etc. You just have to choose what is right for you.

The HF Apex Badlands Winch is certainly a "budget" winch. And with that comes the territory..... i.e. quality control, customer serice, etc. You just have to choose what is right for you.
Totally agree..this all started as a minimal investment in money and time project , didn't work out that way but that was the goal lol.....

The big question now is , remove it all and swap it for another with the hopes it pulls easier . Or just move on.....got a little while to figure it out while under warranty.

Anyway thanks to all for the response out there on this topic.

Whatever you decide to do, I/we appreciate your "attentiveness" to your thread. Nobody likes to wait.:cheers:

Whatever you decide to do, I/we appreciate your "attentiveness" to your thread. Nobody likes to wait.:cheers:
I aim to please and serve the community.

Lesson learned here to check out the free spool on the next one before you install. I don’t think there is a manufacturer out there that doesn’t experience an infant mortality issue from time to time. The important thing is they are doing the right thing by exchanging it. The overwhelming majority of folks running this winch have nothing but good experiences, so I wouldn’t let the hiccup drive you to another brand.

My Apex does take some effort to pull the rope, as does every other winch I’ve messed with. However, it shouldn’t be as difficult as you’re describing. Just lean into it and pull, yanking shouldn’t be necessary.

My old Ramsey was a real pain to get the clutch to disengage and then the steel cable was difficult to pull. My Apex is considerable easier to deal with and the clutch is super smooth.

Yeah definitely a lesson learned .

I'll give it another go today , maybe drive to harbor this weekend and have someone give it a pull to see if they agree before pulling the bumper again.

The lever moves very easily . But when in freespool I can still get the remote to winch in and out a bit...idk ...

Removing the bumper this go around shouldn't be as bad , the bolts got cleaned up and I lined the threads with anti seize.

Does anyone have an issue using the hawse style fairlead on the ARB bumper? Seems like at some angles the rope could rub a bit on the bumper . Was thinking about some spacers behind the fairlead but idk if I like that.

Maybe just run a protective sleeve over the rope in that area if the angles are causing the rope to rub

**Edit , ugh, more money to do it properly

Interesting, they also have control box mounting plate for Smitty built 10k. Had no idea ARB had online store

Last edited:
Drove down to HF this morning and had one of their guys give this thing a pull to see if I'm just a wimp or not. They barely could pull it and agreed to remove and replace it. Nice to know it's not just me

Symptoms
In Freespool, the remote still powers the drum most of the time so whatever is supposed to disengage , isn't . I can pull the rope out but I hear like chattering inside the motor when I do it and it takes all my strength.

Next steps
Taking the bumper back off and swapping this winch out this weekend. Then I can finish on the install procedure pics for the electrical and actually go test this thing out.

I'm not sure if this should discourage folks from trying this winch. If I wasn't so excited to install this I could have bench tested it first so mostly user error. I also see many Warn threads with similar issues right out of the box, the difference is they have good tech support and will walk you through taking it apart to fix it...... HF just says, oh well here take another one......For this particular product, I like that solution better than take it apart and start fixing it.

----
Hoping @Ramathorn15 is still out there because I'm in need of your power switch accessory mount thingy

The Warn winch that came on my new company truck will also not free spool, same as what you have described. I never tested it and found out the one time I had to use it in the field…
Interesting , yeah I'll sum it up to s*** happens and I should have checked before the install.

*** Anyone else out there have a Hawse style fairlead with this older style feet down bumper???? I'm finding the rope will rub on the bumper with any angled pulls. ARB makes a kit but after talking with them they don't think it will work with this bumper.

What do you think, would the fairlead mount loose any structural integrity if I added some 2-3 inch spacer behind it and secured with longer bolt?? Not sure if I like that idea.

+10 points for harbor freight warranty policy ..... I only need to bring the winch and they said they'll just hand me a new unit in the box. Translation, I get an extra control box , power cords , etc.

So at least all the suffering pays off.

Bumper is off , winch in box, will swap tomorrow.

Wanted to wrap this up since I am all done with this project for now. For those considering the winch install here are the key points.

Stock front suspension w/ ARB bumper and winch
Doesn't seem to be a problem so far in regards to the added weight ( 70lbs ) On this particular bumper the winch is mounted low and on the subframe. It's a feet down stye mount

Mounting Harbor Freight Badlands Apex 12k Winch in ARB 3413050 Bumper
Honestly it feels really well made and I suspect it will last. I've seen some other off brand winches with different names that look exactly the same with different logos. I'm sure more expensive units might be a bit more polished and have better parts but this will get the job done for what I need it to do. When mounting you'll need to get longer bolts. M10x1.5 - 35mm Go with the further back holes.

Control box
Needs to be drilled. You've got just enough space. Line up the mounting bracket and make sure you account for the lip of the bumper and enough space for your hardware. The wires coming from down below are tight but it works.

Fairlead
Standard 10" mounting pattern and it fit fine. It's heavy duty, I should measure it. At least 2' thick. The rope is still a bitch to freespool, I'll get used to it.

*** BUT since this bumper is meant for rollers, the hawse style sits sort of far back in the bumper. Most pulls would probably be OK but anything angled and the rope stands a chance of rubbing. So I have rollers on order to replace the hawse style. I know I know, rollers and rope and bla bla. It'll be OK, better than rubbing on my bumper. Link to rollers I ordered. I went with a nut and bolt style and will report back on how it fits.

Electrical
The HF wiring and provided electrical components seem solid. I didn't need to modify any of this. The terminals are 5/16 or M8, so a bit bigger than standard I upgraded my terminals to these expensive slee terminals. The positive adapter works with OEM with no modifications. The negative could have been adapted back to a post mount but I cut and crimped a new 5/16 lug onto both of the ground wires. You need a crimp tool for this and I wish I bought one a long time ago. They are very easy to use. The Amazon random brand one is fine so far.

The power shut off switch
It's hanging by zip ties and I don't like it one bit. I'm sure it will be fine but I need to figure out something better.

Ground wires
Decided to check out with @Fourrunner. Will install those later on and see if it helps with headlight dim when under winch load.
>>https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/uzj100-battery-alternator-and-ground-cable-kits-big-three-cable-kit.1199366/

Rope repair kit
After staring at the Factor 55 kit for $45 I just couldn't give it. But i wanted something better than a pen... I ended up cutting down a piece of this metal rod for hanging products on peg board. I've now got a nice tool to secure my rope too and dive into the rope for a splice if needed. If you want to get real fancy, Home Chepot and Amazon sell the wire pulling tool that Factor 55 adapter to their threaded piece of rod with fancy numbers on it.
> Here is a link, Southwire 1/2" pulling tool
1711763223916.png

Pain points
Removing the bumper sucked because the bolts were so rusty and sandy dirt got in the threads. You definitely need two people . Throw out your rotted out rubber bumpers. Back the 6 main bolts out almost all the way, pull the bottom bolts, pin them. Remove the big bolts completely. Pull pins, remove bumper. Clean up all the threads and hardware before re install. I added antiseize. 18mm socket and open end needed .

Slee terminals + power shut off that I wish I could mount better somehow.
1711762627495.png

Redid the AUX lighting wiring and cleaned it all up while working on all of this stuff.
1711762694741.png

Going to switch over to sharing info for after install . No real world use yet but so far so good. Was messing around a bit this weekend, hooked up to my RHD Mitsubishi Bravo and pulled it across the driveway with ease, but it's light.

I decided, to hell with this hawse style fairlead. Roller style installed. In my case, I'd much rather deal with a possible issue with the rollers compared to rubbing the line on the bumper with the hawse installed. I like the old school look and heavy duty feel way better too. Just barelyyyyyy fits, C clips style would have helped but the nut and bolt seemed beefier

I can't come up with a good way to store my hook. Sounds dumb but when I reel it all the way in, it's kind of sketchy with the HF winch not really stopping right away. I sucked it in way too hard a few times and don't want bang up the rollers. Just going to dangle it for now and get it up higher around the bull bar before going in to a trail ride

1712098660554.png

@Mike NXP glad to see HF treated you right and you’re up and running!

I went with a roller fairlead as well. I see no advantage to a hawse on the ARB and like you, was concerned that the rope could rub on the bumper during off angle pulls. Nothing wrong with synthetic rope and a roller fairlead as long as the rollers are clean and free of burrs/ not damaged from steel cable.

IMG_1197.jpeg

@Mike NXP glad to see HF treated you right and you’re up and running!

I went with a roller fairlead as well. I see no advantage to a hawse on the ARB and like you, was concerned that the rope could rub on the bumper during off angle pulls. Nothing wrong with synthetic rope and a roller fairlead as long as the rollers are clean and free of burrs/ not damaged from steel cable.

View attachment 3597715
Looks good, your rollers seem to sit further in the bumper and the bolts on top aren't as exposed as mine... sweet. Or maybe that is the c-clip style pin

Where is your control box, is it still attached and tucked away back there? Also, are you worried about the eyelet on your rope scuffing up the rollers, I wasn't sure how I felt about sucking it in all the way like that. I bought this thing here but it sort of just gets in the way

By the way, using the remote with wifi definitely has a bit of delay. For the last bit of rope it can be a bit sketchy so corded is probably the best method.

Looks good, your rollers seem to sit further in the bumper and the bolts on top aren't as exposed as mine... sweet. Or maybe that is the c-clip style pin

Where is your control box, is it still attached and tucked away back there? Also, are you worried about the eyelet on your rope scuffing up the rollers, I wasn't sure how I felt about sucking it in all the way like that. I bought this thing here but it sort of just gets in the way

By the way, using the remote with wifi definitely has a bit of delay. For the last bit of rope it can be a bit sketchy so corded is probably the best method.

Could be the difference in my bumper, the 03+ and your 98-02 model. No worries about the eye or hook scratching the rollers. I used the same rollers for several years with steel cable and no issues or damage. (No hard or off angle pulls though)

For the control box, I disassembled everything from the HF box and wired it into a Ramsey box that’s much more compact. I was able to mount it behind the passenger side headlight.

IMG_1195.jpeg

I’d also noticed the bit of a delay using the wireless remote, but just assumed it was the design of the winch. I’ll try the wired connection and see how it works. My old Ramsey stopped/ started instantly with the press or release of the button.

Could be the difference in my bumper, the 03+ and your 98-02 model. No worries about the eye or hook scratching the rollers. I used the same rollers for several years with steel cable and no issues or damage. (No hard or off angle pulls though)

For the control box, I disassembled everything from the HF box and wired it into a Ramsey box that’s much more compact. I was able to mount it behind the passenger side headlight.

View attachment 3598208

I’d also noticed the bit of a delay using the wireless remote, but just assumed it was the design of the winch. I’ll try the wired connection and see how it works. My old Ramsey stopped/ started instantly with the press or release of the button.
Ahh yeah now I remember your build . Looks awesome. Yeah the wifi and remote can be a bit sketchy but all around the winch has been solid .

Well actually my big complaint still is why the hell cant I freespool this thing. You mentioned yours takes some effort too but nothing too tough to manage ? Mine needs to be tugged over and over as I pull maybe a few inches a time , it's possible to do but you can like walk with it. And after a few dozen pulls it's exhausting.

Someone suggested I tried to loosen up the winch mounts bolts but that didn't help .....I guess I'll just use the remote to reel out and see if that causes any issues

Same symptoms as the first one , even with the freespool lever engaged , the remote still spins the drum out , but not in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom