Why did you buy your land cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because they refused to let me take it unless I bought it.

I needed an overall ultiamte truck. Outstanding in daily driving and moderate to hardcore in offroad. LC got me best of both worlds.

Purchased because wifes 97 TJ trans blew up twice:mad: , & since she had wheeled with me in the 60 she wanted a 80. Now she wheels more than I do...and is a better driver.;p

Because owned a Durango and wifey hated it. Good friend had 80 sitting in yard for a year so I took it off hands..and sold the boss the Durango..lol. ;) Mods so far, Revo's, ARB, springs, shocks, etc.. Offroading exp'...never been..just a mall cruiser car seat carrier..lol

1. I like the vintage design.
2. Toyota reputation on reliability.
3. Wealth of information in this community.

My intuition pointed to a gentleman, that goes by the name of Gumby, that I felt might get me out of a mechanical pinch if the need presented itself. Needless to say he stepped up and helped out a newbie. On more than one occasion I might add. The order of my reasons should be ih8mud first then item's 1 and 2. But if ih8mud was a community focusing on Ford Escape I probably would not get one. So the order stands as such.

4. The 80 series is timeless.

Ummm, My Jeep XJ was craping out while my wife was pregnant with twins. My mother got pissed that I was still driving it and gave me $10,000 to put towards a new rig.:bounce: :bounce2:

My wife test drove one and loved it. I researched it and found out just how good it was. Easy to maintain and a great value. A true off road ready truck that had class out the asp. I guide fly fishermen and I knew the clients would love it.

Fly Rod:cheers:

I have always wanted an 80. I have owned toyotas since I was in high school (class 'o 80) I had 80 & 84Celicas (84 anniversary edition whoo ha), 84 Supra, 96 Tercel and 2k Tundra all were great I used them well for years and always sold them for a premium price (Tercel sold in 2k for 6k with 98k on the clock)

My 80 is great it has some quirks but the interior is shockingly clean for a 12 year old truck with 160 k.

I am going to go through the whole truck on Sunday and change all the fluids as well as detail the heck out of it. I looked at alternatives, there was a 2000 Explorer available for 8k but I researched it and found that per consumer reports and others they are bad reliability wise. I decided an older 80 was better. Sure hope I was right!

My first car in my life was a Toyota 89 Corolla GTS (AE 92), and one of my friends bought a 92 Land Criuser, and second one bought a 95 3 yrs later, then another got a 96 LC. I love Land Cruiser since I was in high school. It is a head turner, solid, reliable & 4WD's reputation. I was looking for a decent 80 for a long time but still didn't found one I like (sorry too picky for color). Finally I got a killer deal from a guy who sold me the 98 100 just 13K with color I like. I still like to drive my friends' 80 around the town. I love my criuser !!!

We have other options ... ? :grinpimp:

I already have my HJ-60 for maybe 8 years .. so I thought 80 series are better than 60 series .. naaaaaa is not posible ..

Buy my 80 series .. and yes .. ony Toyota .. but is posible .. ! :D

happy/proud owner and beliver ( why not ) of 2 Cruisers ..

because it can do so much from hauling the kids to school to the rocks of moab it will do whatever you ask and not complain except when you want to pass a gas station

Because they were the best vehicle. It makes me feel that I can conquer any terrain without fear.

Best all around 4X4 can do any with it kinda truck, and needed something to replace the 1984 FJ60 with 370,000 miles on it bought the 1994 FJ80 one year old with 19,000 and now 240,000 miles and dose it better and with HD OME lift its awesome I can load it up full roof rack with all my junk water gas cans ect. hit the desert trails :grinpimp: LOVE IT ! and its paid for :flipoff2:

We bought the 80 because:

I totalled our 93 4runner trying to go elk hunting.
the 40 was not driveable at the time (bought it to be a DD:rolleyes: )
2 adults and a child seat do not fit comfortably in a nissan hardbody pickup with 5 speed :eek:

as much as I liked our 4runner (especially after driving an exploder for a year), the 80 is just nicer in many ways, better built, more room/headroom, better view, etc.

ok, mines not too different. Have had an 85 4runner since '91. Absolutley love it, but 4 half grown kids don't fit too great (without WW3 going on). So, started looking for a 3/4 ton crew cab, just couldn't do it. Then I'm driving down the road and there she was! I new instantly I had to have it. Stopped to look and dealer says, yeah, I'm dropping the price 1k today. (didn't realize I was already sold at 13K) Brought my hog home the very next day and have never regretted (just cringed when I got the first mpg figured, wasn't expecting that!). We owned a 68 fj40 for years and had to sell when work commute changed from 2 miles to 50 (doesn't freeway well). Once when out tooling around an old man came up to us and said "Yep, them Land Cruisers are the best 4 Wheelers in the world BAR NONE!" Couldn't have said it better myself. Counting my hog we have owned 7 Toyotas (still 3 in driveway) and don't even consider buying anything else.

Why I bought my 80..

1. It was $3,000...
2. Had coil sprung soild axles..
3. 3FE's reliablity/simplicity...
4. Nobody in my area has a lifted 80 series...

I'm only 21, and finally found the vehicle I want to keep for the rest of my life..

After owning a 2006 Tahoe and driving a 2005 Tahoe for work, I wanted a vehicle that actually lived up to its claim of on and off road reliabilty and performance . . . so I bought a '96 Cruiser . . . and now I'm happy:) . . . nuff said.

I got stuck one too many times in my F-250. I no longer get stuck, plus the 80 rocks.

Having owned an 85 XLT Bronco, 87 K5 Blazer, 88 3/4 ton Suburban, 68 built Bronco (still have it) and finally a 2001 4Runner I found I really liked the Toyota quality and performance. Never really considered a TLC but a killer deal on my LX came up and I had to have it. Never regretted the decision and have finally found the best all around SUV for my use. Only wish I had tried Toyota's sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom