Why cross-drilled rotors are stupid on an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Of note, if you have the 1990 model brake warp is one of the reason Mr T went up on the disc size, have you considered bolting on the later larger discs/callipers and of course you will need the 16 rims.

regards

Dave

Dave,

Great point and good info for the thread. I think Mike's rocking a 95 /96ish... If my memory serves me well... And that's questionable!

-A

My experiences resemble Corbets. 10 yrs and 85k miles on a set of DBA good slotted and drilled without issue other than a pad gouge from a missing indicator. Just above the 30mm min thinness last pad swap.

Dumb question here, can slotted and cross drilled rotors be turned?

You can, but may have trouble finding a place to do it. Machine shop here said you must have a sharp bit and go slow and shallow.... Not rpm but across surface so as to not "bite" too much at a hole or slot.

10 yrs and 85k miles on a set of DBA good slotted and drilled without issue other than a pad gouge from a missing indicator.

I had the same problem. I think the indicators break off because they catch in the slots.

For the record my DBA slotted fronts have like 80K of mountain driving/wheeling/towing on them with no issue. I replaced the OEM pads I installed with them after about 60K with EBC yellow stuff truck pads. Did not turn them. Still very happy and would buy them again. The rear DBA's suffered from my lack of time to get in and change pads out in a timely manor. I had to replace them and went with the cryo'ed Powerstop slotted and EBC yellows as well. Probably 15K on those by now?

Anyway I will get slotted again without hesitation. If my 10,000lb truck/trailer combo does not melt them coming down the mountain then nothing will.

Hi!!

That combo sounds really nice! And EBC are easy to get here in Europe, but I've two questions.~

Which discs are yours, T2 or T3? And pads 100 series Yelows?

Thanks

Cheers

Grrrreat. Just finished my front axle and put Powerstops on all four corners too. I "always" go OEM, and for whatever god forsaken reason did not this time. "Try something new..." Errrrrgh. Hard to read this thread after all that work. Well, we shall see.

EDIT: my rotors are 360 Performance with Powerstop pads. So I don't have to freak out quite so much right? FWIW, so far, all bedded in, these brakes are just awesome. Just a few hundred miles, so we'll see about the long term. Love having confident braking power again tho.

The pads are actually awesome. My Xterra has Powerstop pads on all 4 corners by the PO. I still have the Powerstop pads on the front of my FJ too just now with Brembo blanks.

Whilst I had the front knuckles apart doing the rebuild, I also replaced all four corners with the 360 performance rotors and pads. Instant difference from stock. Did a weekend trip through Miller Jeep Trail pulling my trailer and they worked awesome. Now that's just a few hundred miles so far, so we will see. But, I'm happy as of now and I dont regret putting them on. Mine is not a daily driver, so if I get 10k miles out of them, thats 2 or 3 years of fun.

The slotted/drilled vs solid rotor debate has been discussed on EVERY car forum I've been on ad nauseum.

Cheap drilled / slotted rotors are prone to cracking.

Just my experience: got over 25k on my power-stop brake package (4 rotors and pads) and have been very happy with them. Just finished a 5k mile road trip pulling a small trailer though the Rockies and everything looks great. Best ever? I doubt it but it was a good enough package deal I figured it was worth a try and so far so good - there's probably a lot worse out there.

Hi!!

That combo sounds really nice! And EBC are easy to get here in Europe, but I've two questions.~

Which discs are yours, T2 or T3? And pads 100 series Yelows?

Thanks

Cheers

From memory my DBA's predate the "T3" labeling but the current 4000 series T3's probably are the same thing. I'm running 80 series EBC yellow stuff truck pads per the recommendation of the EBC support staff.

From memory my DBA's predate the "T3" labeling but the current 4000 series T3's probably are the same thing. I'm running 80 series EBC yellow stuff truck pads per the recommendation of the EBC support staff.

Thanks mate!!

And since many support the use of OEM disc and point them as the best, can they handle with no issues pads like Yellow stuff?

Cheers

I really don't see the point of all the cross drilled, slotted, etc. It's not like these are race cars...

Good success with DBA slotted rotors

I really don't see the point of all the cross drilled, slotted, etc. It's not like these are race cars...

I've liked the slotted rotors better in the mountains. They seem to fad less and have more bite at higher speeds. JMHO. But yes my 80 is the exact opposite of a race car.

I am running Cryo-ed slotted on the rears and will do the same when I rebuild the front axle.

I would not recommend drilled for our truck.. IMHO.

X2 on what Corbet said..

To offer a contradictory perspective, I've been using Powerstop crossdrilled and slotted rotors for a while and the pads were dusty, so I replaced them with stock pads and found this to be a great combo, at least for me (YMMV). I stop better than I ever have, and the warped rotor syndrome I used to get with the stock rotors hasn't happened after about 5 years with this setup. I got my 97 in 2008 with a new complete rebuild down to the calipers but warped within a year from a few hard stops, has not been a problem with the Powerstop rotors, even though I've had a few hard stops with them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom