Why are the front brakes wearing out so fast in my fj62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the past 2 years, I’ve had my front brakes done twice on my 89 fj62 and now I notice they’re going out again and making a grinding noise. I’ve done some research but I haven’t found anything very helpful. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks!

Have you replaced or had the calipers rebuilt?

If it's the pads that are wearing out fast - be sure to use semi-metallic pads. They last a lot longer

Are your rear brakes adjusted properly. Does your proportioning valve work properly? Could be your front brakes are doing all the work.

How many miles between sets

where are you driving how are you driving?

heavy on the brakes Like your modern daily driver?

My guess is cheap pads, slightly sticking on the slide pins, and a heavy last minute pressure on the brakes.

get decent semi metallic pads and clean your slide pins, the two second follow rule is a wise one in these rigs, takes a lot of force to stop them

Are your rear brakes adjusted properly. Does your proportioning valve work properly? Could be your front brakes are doing all the work.

^^ This. Check the rears to make sure they are properly adjusted and that the LSPV is also adjusted properly.

are both pads on both wheels wearing?
in addition to the above
is there a drag? maybe bad rubber hoses??

Last time I saw this issue it turned out the driver was using her left foot on the brake. I surely hope this isn't the cause.

Did you check wheel rotation with wheel off the ground to know if it is dragging?
Temperature visual might show heat, but that is an expensive tool.
If an old rubber brake line is worn it can keep pressure, I replaced hard and soft brakelines and rebuild calipers.
Don't remove front soft brakeline or replace with hard or remove a bit.
Because some know better than Toyota and modify but I just stick to the original design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom