why are 4th gen 4runners cheaper than 3rd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m frequently seeing nice looking 4th gen 4runners on Craigslist for equivalent or lower prices than 3rd. Ok that’s a bit of an exaggeration but considering age and mileage 3rds are holding value MUCH better than 4ths? I gather the 4th got a little more minivan-y. are the 4th’s less reliable are there inherent issues with them. I am posting here in the 3rd gen section because I didn’t see a 4th specific category which may be its own hint.
(Side note im asking because I’m looking for a cheap reliable beater truck as a second vehicle to take camping & hiking no serious off roading in mind at this point)

Last edited:
I’m frequently seeing nice looking 4th gen 4runners on Craigslist for equivalent or lower prices than 3rd. Ok that’s a bit of an exaggeration but considering age and mileage 3rds are holding value MUCH better than 4ths? I gather the 4th got a little more minivan-y. are the 4th’s less reliable are there inherent issues with them. I am posting here in the 3rd gen section because I didn’t see a 4th specific category which may be its own hint.
(Side note im asking because I’m looking for a cheap reliable beater truck as a second vehicle to take camping & hiking no serious off roading in mind at this point)

The 4th generation 4Runners have cheaper, bulkier interior parts and styling. They're ugly in my opinion. People keep going back to the 3rd generation 4Runners because they have the legendary 3.4l 5VZ-FE, are the perfect size for daily driving and off-roading, and their interior parts are well made and not filled with plastic. They're much more rugged and durable.

My first car was a 1998 4Runner with a manual transmission and 4x4. My mom also had a 4th generation 4Runner. It was always reliable and started and ran well, but I hated driving it. My 1998 went everywhere I wanted it to - and that was with open diffs and stock gearing. Aside from a starter and a battery, that car never left me stranded. I sold it at 189k miles for $6,300 in 2014. I regret that more than anything. If I had the money and wanted another 4Runner I'd go with the 3rd generation or track down my old 1998.

11218973_977172878993979_5729851593736577484_n.jpg

fdcdjp.jpg

I traded my 2001 LTD for my 200 Series. The darn thing was built like a Rolex. I'm sure mine is still running strong somewhere. Much better looking than the 4thGen.

According to my town tax bills my 01 4Runner has more value than my 03 Lexus GS.

They don’t know the miles though.

I have noticed the 4WD 3rd gens going up in value over the past years. I can't find a decent rust free one under $5000 in Houston, TX. I have looked at the cheaper ones hoping to score a deal and they are all rusty transfers from other states. I have a 97 with 290K miles on the original motor, tranny and drive train. Runs like a top. Same year Tacoma's haven't gotten any cheaper either. I think the 4th gens are just in their "low spot" price-wise (just like 80 LCs are going up like crazy and 100 LCs are in the low spot.

I do happen to have both, I must admit the 4th Gen. is nice but I still keep going back to the 3rd Gen. just because of the way it feels in
comparison to the 4th Gen. the only thing that I really like on the 4th Gen. is the extra elbow room and V8 power it's nice when you need to separate yourself from morons on the road. If the 4th Gen. didn't have any badging on it at all no body would even recognize it's a 4runner.

3rd gen's seem to be rock solid. I love driving mine anywhere. The body styling IMO is timeless. I still get complements on it, which cracks me up being its a stock 20yr old truck.

I agree. I get ton of compliments and everyone I know that sold their’s has regretted it. I have a 1999 LX470 I like for comfort and bought to replace her one day but I can’t get rid of my 290k 1997 T4R.
B9DA6286-B484-4E0D-A917-4D1F205955B3.jpeg

Funny I have to take a second look some times when I see early Fifth gen 4Runner to see if fouth or fifth. Seco and third gen look close to each other. But like third better. Have both third and fourth gen. If my wife ever decides to replace her fourth gen she knows I'm taking it. Probably sell my my third gen at that point. 3.4 V6 and four speed do not compare to the 4.7 V8 and five speed in the fourth gen. Same with the sound system. As for not having a section that is because it is included with the 120 series Toyotas which is funny because most are GX470 which is a Lexus. Assume with gen is included with the 150 series Toyotas. What Toyota missed on the forth gen is ground clearance. Which they corrected in the fifth gen. A little lift in fourth gen it is a very capable off road vehicle. The 4.7 and five speed make up for any short comings in looks. Particularly if you live in the west with mountians.

Last edited:
I can remember the first time I saw a 4th Gen and was disappointed. Thought they totally "soccer mom'd" it out. Ended up buying an '08 - V8 and totally fell in love with what a beast it really is. Still in our position and is slowly going through a build process after I finally pried it out of my wife's hands.

The 4.7 and five speed make up for any short comings in looks. Particularly if you live in the west with mountians.

I am in the west, with mountains, and although I love the 4.7 in my 100, there is no way in hell I’d ever own a 4th Gen 4Runner just to get up a hill a bit faster. I could not own a vehicle that made me feel moderately nauseous every time I saw it. I know a guy who owns a built 4th Gen, and it’s better looking than stock, but still pretty damn ugly. Toyota missed the boat with these, and even more so with the hideous FJ (not a) Cruiser.

Strong opinion? Yup. But that’s all it is. I know people must love their 4ths/“FJs”, but all I see them as is people who left more of the good looking cars for the rest of us.

I am in the west, with mountains, and although I love the 4.7 in my 100, there is no way in hell I’d ever own a 4th Gen 4Runner just to get up a hill a bit faster. I could not own a vehicle that made me feel moderately nauseous every time I saw it. I know a guy who owns a built 4th Gen, and it’s better looking than stock, but still pretty damn ugly. Toyota missed the boat with these, and even more so with the hideous FJ (not a) Cruiser.

Strong opinion? Yup. But that’s all it is. I know people must love their 4ths/“FJs”, but all I see them as is people who left more of the good looking cars for the rest of us.

I had a 100 series and 4th gen at the same time for six years. Both 4.7 V8 full time 4WD.
100 series was only a four speed while 4th gen was five speed. Heavier 100 series did not compare. Have two homes in AZ. One at 1,100' and the other at 6,900'. The 4Runner is a sport and the power and handling went hand down to the 4Runner. Like the feel of the 100 series it did not handle like the sport edition. Had my 99 4Runner for a little over four years. Saying a little slower climbing steep hills is being kind. 99 will be sold. 100 series was replaced with a 2nd gen Sequoia with a 5.7 for room and power. Fifteen years on the 4th gen and counting. Not a huge fan of the looks of the 4th gen but no a huge fan of looks of the 100 series either. Love the look of the 3rd gen but compare it to my FJ62 as far as power. Twenty-five years plus on that one with no plans to sell but it lives up at 6,900'.

Recently sold my 3rd Gen and got a GX470, basically a 4th Gen.
While the 3rd Gen's are getting old, they are awesome, and becoming iconic. They are still simple enough not to intimidate the novice wrencher, and reliable enough that you don't need to lift a wrench all that often.

I think the 4th Gen's really just missed it on the styling, they look a lot more like "Just another SUV," seems like Toyota even realized this; the 5th Gen was more evolutionary than revolutionary coming from the 4th Gen, but with a huge focus on style.

I had a 100 series and 4th gen at the same time for six years. Both 4.7 V8 full time 4WD.
100 series was only a four speed while 4th gen was five speed. Heavier 100 series did not compare. Have two homes in AZ. One at 1,100' and the other at 6,900'. The 4Runner is a sport and the power and handling went hand down to the 4Runner. Like the feel of the 100 series it did not handle like the sport edition. Had my 99 4Runner for a little over four years. Saying a little slower climbing steep hills is being kind. 99 will be sold. 100 series was replaced with a 2nd gen Sequoia with a 5.7 for room and power. Fifteen years on the 4th gen and counting. Not a huge fan of the looks of the 4th gen but no a huge fan of looks of the 100 series either. Love the look of the 3rd gen but compare it to my FJ62 as far as power. Twenty-five years plus on that one with no plans to sell but it lives up at 6,900'.

No doubt it's the ugly stepsister of the Toyota 4x4 truck lineup. Spend some time driving one with a V8 then take it wheeling and you'll come away with a great appreciation of it's power and balance. Don't see us ever giving ours up. 11 years and it still a joy to drive.

100 series was only a four speed while 4th gen was five speed. Heavier 100 series did not compare. The 4Runner is a sport and the power and handling went hand down to the 4Runner. Like the feel of the 100 series it did not handle like the sport edition.

I’ve had 4spd and 5spd 100s at the same time. The 5 spud was an ‘06 LX. The ‘99 LC is still in my driveway, and the LX is gone. I admit to not having driven a 4th Gen Runner, and I’m sure they are quicker than the 100 in either form. They bloody well should be, as they are much lighter. I personally, like the feel of a heavier vehicle. That’s why I love my Land Cruisers, G-Wagens, V8 euro sedans etc. I’ve never liked the lighter feeling cars. The just feel cheap to me.

If everybody liked M&Ms, it would be a boring trip to the candy store!

I’ve had 4spd and 5spd 100s at the same time. The 5 spud was an ‘06 LX. The ‘99 LC is still in my driveway, and the LX is gone. I admit to not having driven a 4th Gen Runner, and I’m sure they are quicker than the 100 in either form. They bloody well should be, as they are much lighter. I personally, like the feel of a heavier vehicle. That’s why I love my Land Cruisers, G-Wagens, V8 euro sedans etc. I’ve never liked the lighter feeling cars. The just feel cheap to me.

Well your 4Runner is a much lighter car and you love it right?

:flipoff2:

I agree though, I hate the way lighter cars feel. That’s why I always throw on beefy steering and suspension so it feels heavier. I absolutely can’t stand really light steering!

Last edited:

I like my Baby Ruth. Certainly doesn' look as nice a M&Ms. Might even say they look like a turd. But they are very tasty. You do know what the slang word for TRD is?

Well your 4Runner is a much lighter car and it’s you love right?

I agree though, I hate the way lighter cars feel. That’s why I always throw on beefy steering and suspension so it feels heavier. I absolutely can’t stand really light steering!

The 4th gen is a heavier vehicle than the 3rd gen. I remember comparing the turning radius of the Toyota frame based SUVs years ago. 4gen beat the 100 series. But the 100 series beat the FJ Cruiser which barely beat the Sequoia. Being more maneuverable offroad is a plus which why I've always liked my FJ40s.

Toyota was targeting younger drivers with the FJ Cruiser which I believe why it had such a wide turning radius. My wife bought a new Pathfinder in 87. When I got my FJ62 was surprised how much shaper it turned. Looked at the FJ Cruiser the first day they hit the dealers as a possible replacement for my 100 series. At the time didn't need the space. Justing looking at I passed. Ended up trading the 100 series for a 2nd gen Sequoia for lower, space and looks. Besides interior being smaller with the few miles it gets used couldn't justify paying for a 200 series.

Well your 4Runner is a much lighter car and you love it right?

The 4Runner is in my stable for only one reason. It’s a convertible. If I wasn’t wanting to be able to take the top off, I’d have a BJ60 instead.

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

The 4Runner is in my stable for only one reason. It’s a convertible. If I wasn’t wanting to be able to take the top off, I’d have a BJ60 instead.

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

I'm so glad they kept these :flipoff2::flipoff2:

And why don't you make your own FJ60 convertible? You got the fab skills you could do it! There's a guy on the forum with one.

164eb859ece10f3fc9222e41ca10a917.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom