Who's gears to order?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needing to replace the 5.29's in my front diff, and wondering who on here is a vendor to order from? I see a HUGE price difference between Yukon gears and Nitro gears online

I've run both and would say that the Nitro's seem to be easier to set up and are quieter after initial installation. That being said, Nitro seemed to have some quality issues (hardening) over the past couple of years, so I would do some research to see if those have been addressed.

I have Nitro now (because it was only $187 both front and rear) but ran Nitro previously on some other rigs.

Nitro are made in Korea while Yukon is made in China. Korean gears are generally better.

Nitro are china made now. I just replaced my front 5.29 with Revolution gears. ordered from Cruiser Outfitters.
Also be ready to buy a new pinion flange as they upgraded from 27 spline to 29.
IMG_0462.jpeg

I have Nitro now (because it was only $187 both front and rear) but ran Nitro previously on some other rigs.

Nitro are made in Korea while Yukon is made in China. Korean gears are generally better.
Nitro are China made now (from what i've heard). They had a huge sale not to long ago on old stock.

Last edited:
Nitro are china made now. I just replaced my front 5.29 with Revolution gears. ordered from Cruiser Outfitters.
Also be ready to buy a new pinion flange as they upgraded from 27 spline to 29.
View attachment 3593458

The box might be made in China (don't confuse packing material origin with product) but this is direct from their website and my gears were not made in China. Maybe their website is out of date.....?

Nitro Ring and Pinion Features:

• Manufactured in South Korea
  • 8620 Steel Gear Forgings
  • Precision Machining
  • CNC Triple-lapping

Interesting. I'd definitely like to know for sure, because gears are definitely in my near future. I suspect the factory has a lot more influence on the overall quality than whose name is on the box.

Reactions: ppc
The box might be made in China (don't confuse packing material origin with product) but this is direct from their website and my gears were not made in China. Maybe their website is out of date.....?

Nitro Ring and Pinion Features:

• Manufactured in South Korea
  • 8620 Steel Gear Forgings
  • Precision Machining
  • CNC Triple-lapping
I heard from @cruiseroutfit and others that Nirto is China made now.

Is the country of manufacture marked on the gears themselves? My Sumo transfer case gear say "made in Japan", for example.

I have old nitro 5.29s I bought in 09. Had them set up by slee with crush sleeve and have been great, no issues. Not sure on where they were made back then?

Is the country of manufacture marked on the gears themselves? My Sumo transfer case gear say "made in Japan", for example.
Normally yes china has its marking and Korea I believe is Circle K

Nitro changed hands a few years ago and it seems popular opinion is their quality has severely dropped off. They used to be my go to gear mfg.
Yukon has a strong warranty and their setup kits are solid. It is the brand i have in my crawler and will continue using.

Setup is EVERYTHING in R&P. Pay to have it done right by a reputable company.

Be very careful when ordering from Nitro (just diffs), a bunch of us did this late last year and our CCs were hacked. Mine for almost $7k. Here is the thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom