Who watched that BaT auction this afternoon? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can't use Bring a Trailer as a price benchmark. Only if you want the absolute highest price ever.

People seem to forget, when gas prices go up, gas guzzler prices drop like a stone.

You can't use Bring a Trailer as a price benchmark. Only if you want the absolute highest price ever.

People seem to forget, when gas prices go up, gas guzzler prices drop like a stone.
For 80’s, that was applicable a decade ago when they were purchased as daily drivers. For an occasional or hobbyist purchase mpg’s are irrelevant.

For an occasional or hobbyist purchase mpg’s are irrelevant.
In over 5 decades of driving I never once purchased a vehicle based on it's MPG 🤷‍♂️

In over 5 decades of driving I never once purchased a vehicle based on it's MPG 🤷‍♂️
Actually, when you are somewhere in BFE Utah, mpg's do come into play, because you might want to make it back to a gas station... (see, there's tech!).

But when it comes to purported BaT prices for 80s, I think of that as a different thread of reality that has little to do with my personal perspective. Sure, I wouldn't turn down some of those figures when approached directly in person. Then again, when Barrett Jackson prices for FJ40s went through the roof, we were like "Hell, No! We ain't giving up the 40!" I do see the 80 as slightly more disposable than the '40; probably because we have two of these...

Never mind the currently perceived monetary value, I place the value of the FJ40, the 80, the LX, and hell yes, also the K5 Blazer, in terms of what we've been able to see and experience in our lives because of these old trucks. The K5 got me into 'wheeling, but also made me realize what sights there are to see - quite amazing for a kid from the hinterlands of then-West Germany. Looking back 20 years, I wouldn't want to trade those trips to CruiseMoab, or to BlazerBash (the Moab event for K5s) for anything. Same for all the other, less glamorous 'wheeling trips. The payoff has been a couple 10,000 of photos, many of them cherished (some of them published), a treasure trove of experiences and stories, and a bunch of friendships that changed our lives, although unfortunately we've lost @Tools R Us, and @Blues Dawg.

I'm not saying you'll have to pry those old trucks out of my cold dead hands. They'll become available once (a) I'm either too old to go 'wheeling, or (b) there's no more gasoline to be purchased. Whichever comes first :flipoff2:.

Actually, when you are somewhere in BFE Utah, mpg's do come into play, because you might want to make it back to a gas station... (see, there's tech!).
That what spare gas cans are for :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

They do? My father has a g2 Seqouia with 2wd/4wd/4wd with diff lock. AFAIK no viscous coupler. I can definitely see the advantage of having one on a boat ramp.
JF3A case = Torsen LSD box / 2HI, 4HI free, 4LO free, 4HI lock and 4LO lock

your dad’s got to read the door sticker & see if he’s a JF3A.

JF2A case = Fulltime AWD / Crawl Control aka 200/LX570 box, no 2WD option

Either bolts to my trans, mod driveshaft & add harness / ECU. Done.

JF3A case = Torsen LSD box / 2HI, 4HI free, 4LO free, 4HI lock and 4LO lock

your dad’s got to read the door sticker & see if he’s a JF3A.

JF2A case = Fulltime AWD / Crawl Control aka 200/LX570 box, no 2WD option

Either bolts to my trans, mod driveshaft & add harness / ECU. Done.
I understand. Now excuse my ignorance but my understanding is the 2wd mode is basically just a front axle disconnect in the front axle, and locking the transfer case. But you are implying there is also a difference in the transfer case. Is there a driveshaft disconnect too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom