Who is running an RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quickly have realized the factory rack will not support a roof top tent. Looking at the Yakima rain gutters with two crossovers should suffice. What else is everyone running with their RTT? I have a 3 person yakima RTT ill be putting up there.

I have the Yakima rain gutter rack for my RTT. It works just fine but someday I'll throw down for a different rack so I can haul a stand up paddleboard at the same time. Maybe all I need is some longer cross bars...

upload_2018-12-11_15-43-31.png

upload_2018-12-11_15-43-56.png

078D969E-8D3D-42A6-AFE5-1194355B0E15.jpeg
29BB2714-DA7B-41D1-B75D-09C634560657.jpeg
078D969E-8D3D-42A6-AFE5-1194355B0E15.jpeg
I ran rhinorack two load bars. It worked great. Buddy of mine built me a custom rack

I have the Yakima rain gutter rack for my RTT. It works just fine but someday I'll throw down for a different rack so I can haul a stand up paddleboard at the same time. Maybe all I need is some longer cross bars...

View attachment 1852215
View attachment 1852216

Looks like a solid mount setup. Really like the low pro racks but not ready to put down 1k for one. Did you need to remove the factory rack?

Looks like a solid mount setup. Really like the low pro racks but not ready to put down 1k for one. Did you need to remove the factory rack?

Mine didn't come with a factory rack. I would recommend removing the factory rack if you have one.

I have a rack I made with a EMT Conduit bender.. I have actually made a few this way! I have a ARB RTT and have plenty of trails and miles over the last 13 years this way, never a problem, and not very expensive..

I don’t remember what the thickness of steel was I used, it was thicker, I wound’nt use conduit as it’s galvinized and not great to weld around..

B36970CB-5DBC-4BAE-A07D-BF4BB4848C8A.jpeg

0E6EB497-0C0E-4053-B444-A24E133CAA87.jpeg

I have a rack I made with a EMT Conduit bender.. I have actually made a few this way! I have a ARB RTT and have plenty of trails and miles over the last 13 years this way, never a problem, and not very expensive..

I don’t remember what the thickness of steel was I used, it was thicker, I wound’nt use conduit as it’s galvinized and not great to weld around..

View attachment 1852275

View attachment 1852276
Very cool! Could you attach a photo if you just have the rack. I'd love to make this kind of set up. I have roof lights wired up and would like to keep them up with there and you have extra storage space up top too.

20171209_083509.jpg
I ran the yakima bars for a year or so. Now i am using bowfin rack. Yakima were ok but love the bowfin rack

20181122_120426.jpg

Very cool! Could you attach a photo if you just have the rack. I'd love to make this kind of set up. I have roof lights wired up and would like to keep them up with there and you have extra storage space up top too.
I will look to see if I have a picture of just the rack, I need to take it off for the season soon anyway incase I don’t

Cruise On!
Aaron

So why have a full rack at around 1000 dollars and 100lbs of weight and then cover it with a RTT? Why not just do the 2 cross bar and call it a day as that’s all the RTT have the hardware and mount points for?o_O

So why have a full rack at around 1000 dollars and 100lbs of weight and then cover it with a RTT? Why not just do the 2 cross bar and call it a day as that’s all the RTT have the hardware and mount points for?o_O

!. I use it without tent also
2. Not hundreds of pounds. Mostly aluminum
3. Puts my tent lower than cross bars
4. You can attach with more than 4 points if desired
5. Allows me to haul other things along with tent
6. Its not as loud as cross bars
7. Distributes weight all the way along rain gutter vs at 4 points
8. Still have multiple point to attach accessories

I am sure there are more

!. I use it without tent also
2. Not hundreds of pounds. Mostly aluminum
3. Puts my tent lower than cross bars
4. You can attach with more than 4 points if desired
5. Allows me to haul other things along with tent
6. Its not as loud as cross bars
7. Distributes weight all the way along rain gutter vs at 4 points
8. Still have multiple point to attach accessories

I am sure there are more

I see what you are saying but after the foldable RTT there isn’t much room left. Then the hard shell ones takes up the entire rack elven thought they are designed for 2 crossbars. Any rtt is over 100lbs and with a full rack it’s easy 200 plus pounds on top and the old girl is already top heavy. When I had my prinsu it was till well over 50lbs and not any quieter then my full ARB basket rack.

You can also get lower profile rain gutter mounts and attach cross bars to them to lower the height, just use gamviti low profile gutter mounts much nicer than Thule or Yakima. And rain gutter is pretty dang strong so there isn’t much of an issue with strength even with 4 mount points.

To each their own and if it works for you then great. I just don’t see a full rack does anything for RTTs especially the hard shell ones.

Your question was not "what does a full rack do for a RTT" , it was " Why have a full rack at 1000 dollars and 100 lbs" If you want what it does for a full rack then i would say that it distributes weight better than gutter mounts as this is an 80 forum. It also allows for accessories to be added along the sides of the rack. Similar to better distribution of weight is that it holds the tent along multiple points of the gutter vs the bars. I miss understood one of your questions and thought you meant rack was 100s of pounds.

I personally feel i can mount the tent to the rack easier than bars in that if the rack is held off the ground i can set tent on it and install it.

THe faring for the bowfin rack does make the ride more quiet.

I ran my tent on yakima bars for a year and like the roof rack better. If you don't have a set of bars and have to purchase some then the rack is not as great and outlay. If you already have some then use them. I just like the rack better.

I have soft tent and there is room in front of the tent for more storage

One last thing for the bowfin rack. I can drive in the barn and take off tent and rack in 5 min or less. His design of the latches is the best. As fast as you can walk down the sides you can unlock the rack. Hook up two pulleys and lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom