Who cares about looks! Is there a diesel option?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd expect an engine like that to be running above 20psi boost in standard trim. How else do you think they get torque figures that high?

Still, the aftermarket will be interesting.

If the comrpesion still 18.6:1 ( that's the same as 1HD-T and FT ) I thought they are not running more than 12 PSI .. and pointing to the engine longevity ..

As same as you can see in ZD30 from Nissan .. of 1KD-FTV .. with a hack in the signal the factory ECU still working as same .. but all signals that the ECU generate to the Turbo ECU are " altered " in order to make more boost soon ..

Actually you can buy a cheap " chip " for 1KD-FTV ( that I see here in Panamá ) in about 600 USD or so .. and get 20% - 30% better performance just going from 10 PSI to 14 PSI ..

Could the 1VD-FTV go far away over 18 PSI . ?

If the comrpesion still 18.6:1 ( that's the same as 1HD-T and FT ) I thought they are not running more than 12 PSI .. and pointing to the engine longevity ..

As same as you can see in ZD30 from Nissan .. of 1KD-FTV .. with a hack in the signal the factory ECU still working as same .. but all signals that the ECU generate to the Turbo ECU are " altered " in order to make more boost soon ..

Actually you can buy a cheap " chip " for 1KD-FTV ( that I see here in Panamá ) in about 600 USD or so .. and get 20% - 30% better performance just going from 10 PSI to 14 PSI ..

Could the 1VD-FTV go far away over 18 PSI . ?

The compression ratio on the 70 series V8 diesel is 16.something. Definitely built to take serious boost.

OK a quick question for you, Dougal - Considering the 1HD-T's known connecting rod bearing issues, is it not dangerous to increase the output of this engine, or can the situation be taken care of by increasing oil pump pressure or flow?

In other words, isn't there an increased risk of connecting rod bearing failure when a directly injected Diesel engine, which already has an inherently faster combustion as compared to indirectly injected engines (hence a sharper combustion 'knock'), is turbocharged to these high levels without some provision to increase the resistance of the oil film in the connnecting rod bearings, such as by increasing oil pump flow or pressure to the bearing?

OK a quick question for you, Dougal - Considering the 1HD-T's known connecting rod bearing issues, is it not dangerous to increase the output of this engine, or can the situation be taken care of by increasing oil pump pressure or flow?

In other words, isn't there an increased risk of connecting rod bearing failure when a directly injected Diesel engine, which already has an inherently faster combustion as compared to indirectly injected engines (hence a sharper combustion 'knock'), is turbocharged to these high levels without some provision to increase the resistance of the oil film in the connnecting rod bearings, such as by increasing oil pump flow or pressure to the bearing?

The only people who can answer that with any authority would be working for Toyota and testing these engines to their limits. It'd be a fun job testing new parts to destruction and seeing what's possible.

A ford powerstroke owner told me that they intentionally retard the timing to reduce the peak pressures on their engines. It reduces the peak load on everything that holds your engine together, but at the same time it reduces your efficiency. Once again there's a tradeoff.

Oil film strength is way out of my field, your best bet would be fishing for an expert on Engtips.

Hmmm... I read somewhere that one of the reasons the BEBs had issues was related to slightly insufficient oil pressure... That is, according to a Nissan Engineer in Japan... Of course this is hearsay and I can't confirm anything, but doesn't it make sense?

The compression ratio on the 70 series V8 diesel is 16.something. Definitely built to take serious boost.

Mmm interesting to know how much real boost it's making this engine under normal condition ..

I'm not clear in the retard timing point .. retard timing = more power . ? dosen't make sense to me .. ( but who am I .. ! just an IT manager that love cruisers .. )

I'm not clear in the retard timing point .. retard timing = more power . ? dosen't make sense to me .. ( but who am I .. ! just an IT manager that love cruisers .. )

Retarding the timing does reduce power and efficiency. But it makes for lower stresses at any particular power level as peak pressures are lower.

So the result is more fuel and boost to get the same power, but a slightly easier time for the engine.

So if I understand correctly, advancing timing will increase peak pressures and stresses? If that is so, a good method for protecting the motor from excessive stresses would be to inject liquid water that would absorb heat during that sharp combustion peak, releasing the energy later during the in the downward power stroke?

Does my interpretation make any sense?

So if I understand correctly, advancing timing will increase peak pressures and stresses? If that is so, a good method for protecting the motor from excessive stresses would be to inject liquid water that would absorb heat during that sharp combustion peak, releasing the energy later during the in the downward power stroke?

Does my interpretation make any sense?

I'd expect the water to have flashed to steam before the fuel is injected. So it's probably going to add to the cylinder pressures.
Personally injecting water intentionally is something I'd rather stay clear of.

OK, makes sense. The only way it could be done (water injection) to reduce peak pressures would be to inject it AFTER fuel injection... Or with the fuel, perhaps? Hmm...

OK what about multiple injection then? That would surely solve the issue, no?

It's impossible to get away from the reality that more power reduces engine life. Reducing the compression ratio will help reduce peak stresses.

But back on the V8 diesel track. What I suspected seems to be true.

Toyota's "new" V8 diesel has exactly the same bore and stroke as the 3 year old 2.2L 4cyl diesel they have been putting in the toyota Avensis and similar vehicles in europe.

Avensis.
http://www.carsplusplus.com/specs2007/toyota_avensis_22_d-4d_exclusive.php

70 series landcruiser
http://www.toyota.co.nz/Apps/WebObj...Z5g9RfGpZhDyckxSk7ayWw&primaryArea=NewVehicle

Looking for measurements of boost on the Avensis D4D isn't easy.
Here's discussion of an aygo which ran 32psi boost.
http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68881

It's impossible to get away from the reality that more power reduces engine life. Reducing the compression ratio will help reduce peak stresses.
Ooh, Bugger! :lol:

At least a method to reduce peak stresses would prevent excessive con rod bearings wear...

Looking for measurements of boost on the Avensis D4D isn't easy.
Here's discussion of an aygo which ran 32psi boost.

32 PSI :eek:

BMW were running 42psi in their 3L straight 6 diesel about three years ago. Then it was delivering 500Nm and 160kw.
Now it's got another 20-30kw and 60Nm or more. Wonder if they're up around 60psi yet?

BMW were running 42psi in their 3L straight 6 diesel about three years ago. Then it was delivering 500Nm and 160kw.
Now it's got another 20-30kw and 60Nm or more. Wonder if they're up around 60psi yet?

Definately I need to start read more about modern engines .. MBW 330Ci ..?

How much compresion have those engine to run 42 PSI .. thought run 42 PSI in my 2H and at 20 PSI just blow it ..

But back on the V8 diesel track. What I suspected seems to be true.

Toyota's "new" V8 diesel has exactly the same bore and stroke as the 3 year old 2.2L 4cyl diesel they have been putting in the toyota Avensis and similar vehicles in europe.

Yes ,the V8 was said to be based on 2x 4cyl joined at the hip by a single crank.

Nothing, but what he probably meant was how to get so much air crammed into the combustion chamber, and that depends on compression ratio and boost pressure.

Start Hijack ..

My 2H @ 14 PSI it's pointing ( by formula ) 29:1 compresion ratio ..

Just wonder how low was the factory compresion and which range coul raise it when it are boosted at 42 PSI .. 50:1 ? :eek:

Hijack over !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom