Who cares about looks! Is there a diesel option?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I don't much care what it looks like. Looks won't make it any better on the trail! What I want to know is WILL THERE BE A DIESEL AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA???

I don't want a gasser or a hybrid, I want a turbo-diesel plain and simple!

Me 2!!!!!

Toyota please take my money by offering a turbo diesel LC in the United States of America.

I'm down with trubo-diesel... hope they offer one. Although I doubt they will.

Exactly. Diesel rocks.
Look at my 1990 HDJ81.
Diesel doesn't have to be loud.
It was quite, smooth, strong, and powerful, and good mpg.

Not that I could afford a diesel until its 5-10 years old anyways. :)

Maybe it will drive the price of the 100's down.
They are the only gas cruiser I would want. But, I would still prefer a 100 in diesel.

Charles, I guess you just have to buy a new/used diesel 100/120 in Guat, and import it. :) :)

Cheers,
N.

I'll take a punt on saying there will be (Ha Ha shoot me now if I'm wrong)
The V8 twin turbo diesel 200 series will be released in OZ in November IIRC. There has been mention of this engine going into a 2008 Tundra, so if they release it there to go against the other utes diesels, I expect there may be a chance for a 200 series diesel option for you guys. This being due to the fact their techs will have to be specifically trained for the diesel if it goes in a Tundra, so they might as well try for some more sales with a diesl LC. My 0.02

Let's be real here. The last thing people want in a Luxo-SUV is a stinkin' and noisy diesel motor. Toyota/Lexus makes these for their upscale buyers, not four-wheelers. Go get a Grand 3.0CRD.

Let's be real here. The last thing people want in a Luxo-SUV is a stinkin' and noisy diesel motor.

THAT is the problem!! New turbo-diesel engines are neither noisy nor stinky! When I've been out with the folks from 4wdtrips.net they always tell me how they are surprised they can't smell the diesel when they follow behind me. I'll grant that my truck is not quiet since it has NO muffler (for power reasons), but it is much quieter than a domestic diesel with a muffler.
Remember my truck is over 25 year old technology, the new stuff is much better.

The last thing I want in an off-road truck is a gas sucking, high maintenance, complicated gas engine!

THAT is the problem!! New turbo-diesel engines are neither noisy nor stinky! When I've been out with the folks from 4wdtrips.net they always tell me how they are surprised they can't smell the diesel when they follow behind me. I'll grant that my truck is not quiet since it has NO muffler (for power reasons), but it is much quieter than a domestic diesel with a muffler.
Remember my truck is over 25 year old technology, the new stuff is much better.

The last thing I want in an off-road truck is a gas sucking, high maintenance, complicated gas engine!

YOU are not the market these are being made for.

Let's be real here. The last thing people want in a Luxo-SUV is a stinkin' and noisy diesel motor. Toyota/Lexus makes these for their upscale buyers, not four-wheelers. Go get a Grand 3.0CRD.

I agree, most luxury suv buyers would prefer a v8 gas and auto.
And the v8 in the 100 is a great one. So if they use that, or a newer version, it would be the best gas motor they could put in.

But Toyota can make quiet, powerful diesels (that don't smoke much).
The diesel in my HDJ81 (1HD-T), was quiet, powerful, and smooth.
If it had an intercooler, it would had a lot more power than the gas v8, and better millage. The HDJ81 was a luxury offroad SUV.

So yeah, I can see them only offering a gas v8 and auto.
I don't think "new" (not used) buyers would want a stick shift.
It's the guys like us that buy them a few years old that want Deisel and 5speeds.

That why we have to import them.
Anywhere else in the world they want diesel (stick or auto based on preference). That also includes the luxury market. Look at Europe and Japan, they still want diesel in the luxury SUVs.

North America will probably get gas only.
Rest of the world will get all the options.

Cheers,
N.

Cruiser_guy,

I think your best to get a new/slightly-used diesel 100 out of Guatemala.
The first year cruiser allways have a few bugs to work out.
So a 80 or 100 is probably your best bet.
Solid and reliable, comfortable and powerful.
And cheaper once the 120 hits the market.
Get in on a trade up.

Sell the BJ60 abd BJ55 to pay for most of it.
You could raise a lot of the money for one.
If not put money in your pocket!!!
Then you will have the 100, and 45LV once your done.
Two awesome rigs. Nice newer one, and old classic.

Would be an awesome way of going.
Cheers,
Nick

YOU are not the market these are being made for.

And that's why Toyota Canada and Toyota USA WON'T be selling me my next new truck!

They WON'T bring in the truck I want that they ALREADY make and sell elsewhere!!

Nick, too many import issues with buying a newer truck in Guatemala, though I would be VERY tempted should something happen to the '60 or '55!

And that's why Toyota Canada and Toyota USA WON'T be selling me my next new truck!

They WON'T bring in the truck I want that they ALREADY make and sell elsewhere!!

Nick, too many import issues with buying a newer truck in Guatemala, though I would be VERY tempted should something happen to the '60 or '55!

Yes...they don't care about you. They care about ladies driving alone in the vehiucle to lunch while talking on their cell phone. :D

If they cared about you or wheelers we'd see the other stuff.

Yes, we are always behind europe when it comes to superior engines. The S class benz can be had with a turbo diesel. The turbo diesel just won le mans for the 2nd year in a row. Toyota and/or Lexus will not get my 30, 40, 50 or 60k without a turbo diesel option. And turbo diesel is the near future (next 5 yrs) and turbo diesel hybrid is the future past that.

I can not wait...

I will stick with used vehicles until new turbo diesels are offered.

Last edited:
Of course there is a market for it. It will come, as the makers comply w/ US emissions and low-sulfer fuel is more widely avail.
The luxo-ultra high $ V10 TD Toerag is around so it's not even new ground. Toyota will do it... eventually. I think it will be more of a diesel-hybrid though.

Of course there is a market for it. It will come, as the makers comply w/ US emissions and low-sulfer fuel is more widely avail.
The luxo-ultra high $ V10 TD Toerag is around so it's not even new ground. Toyota will do it... eventually. I think it will be more of a diesel-hybrid though.

Possibly, however the 100-series lasted from 98-07 or 10 years. So, how long will the next series last? It will be some time before major changes. And IF they sell a V8 and a diesel model in the US (probably will never happen), 90% will opt for the V8. Jeeps CRD's are sales failures too. They're also over priced and it takes years to recoop their higher initial cost (if ever)(just like hybrids).

Possibly, however the 100-series lasted from 98-07 or 10 years. So, how long will the next series last? It will be some time before major changes. And IF they sell a V8 and a diesel model in the US (probably will never happen), 90% will opt for the V8. Jeeps CRD's are sales failures too. They're also over priced and it takes years to recoop their higher initial cost (if ever)(just like hybrids).

The 100 series was available here ONLY as a gasser but it can be had elsewhere with the turbo-diesel. It won't take a model change for Toyota to offer the diesel to us, just a marketing change. The Jeep may well be a sales failure because typically domestics are reliability failures anyways!!

My next vehicle may very well be a turbo-diesel 'Cruiser from Central America. I KNOW it won't be a gasser!

The 100 series was available here ONLY as a gasser but it can be had elsewhere with the turbo-diesel. It won't take a model change for Toyota to offer the diesel to us, just a marketing change. The Jeep may well be a sales failure because typically domestics are reliability failures anyways!!

My next vehicle may very well be a turbo-diesel 'Cruiser from Central America. I KNOW it won't be a gasser!

GAS and ME goes together! :D

Wouldn't it have to be 15yrs old?

This could take quite some time to go over in detail, but here is the short version.

Not IF it meets Canadian code AS IS from factory.
Remember, its sold in US and Canada already (LC100 and LX470).
Same truck. Different engine, not as many power options.
So it could very well could meet Canadian specs.
If you got a CMVSS or USMVSS sticker your laughing.

It could take quite some time to explain all this.
But I have spent many hours talking to the CVSE and reading legieslation and RIV stuff. It is possible, as long as it meets FROM FACTORY.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
GAS and ME goes together! :D

Yup, and there is no problem with that.
Preference thing right. Auto or Stick?
All in what you like.

Personally, I like diesel.
But if I had to pick a gas cruiser, the 100 v8 would be it.

Cheers,
N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom