White Powder On Back of Airbag Assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, this looks to me like the chemical(s) in the airbag assembly has seeped out. The strange part to me is that it "leaked" upward. I don't know what it is, or how it got like this, but every image/video I can find does not have anything like this back there. I didn't touch it or do anything to investigate further other than a visual inspection. It almost looks like a textured ceiling, or "popcorn" ceiling. Should I be looking for a new airbag assembly at this point?

Appreciate any insights.

airbag2.jpg

airbag3.jpg

Looks like oxidation. Is that a pot metal or light cast material?

I'm not sure, how would I be able to tell?

Follow up question: What is the part number to replace this? I can't seem to find it. I saw it on the diagram but then it's not on the list. I can't imagine it's a cheap part but it would be nice to price out.

#6 here but not on the list: Steering Wheel & Trim for 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

#22 but again, not on the list: Steering Wheel for 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

Edit: I found it: 45130-02130-C0 for my '06. Around $700 whew.

Last edited:
They put talcum powder or cornstarch in the airbags. It might not be leaking up since you turn your wheel and it goes upside down.

They put talcum powder or cornstarch in the airbags. It might not be leaking up since you turn your wheel and it goes upside down.

Yeah I mean I realize that but I figure way more often the wheel is in it's normal position and would seep downward. I'm starting to think it's not a leak at all the way it's spread. I'm wondering if it looked like this when new.

I might take a damp cloth to it and see if it will clean up. I'm probably being way over cautious, but what are the conditions that must be met for an airbag to deploy? I assume that since it's not plugged in, then it doesn't have a way to get a signal to deploy.

Last edited:
The airbag needs power to deploy. Be sure to disconnect the truck's battery negative for a few minutes BEFORE plugging or unplugging any SRS-related connector. These connectors are usually yellow in color.

You can wipe the surface with a damp cloth to clean it. Keep moisture away from the connectors and pins.

Looks like someone sneezed while eating a powdered doughnut above the steering wheel.

As said above it's most likely corrosion of the metal, that's exactly what it looks like, tiny white spores but they won't wipe off if so, and will feel crusty. Normally I would say it's nothing to worry about but if enough moisture got in the cabin to cause this level of corrosion right at the airbag unit then I would be concerned it also might affect the connectors or device itself. I think you're in the right mindset to replace it as a safety precaution. Airbags have a built in life span anyway.

Last edited:
I took a damp paper towel to it with one hand and a flashlight in the other hand (bottom line, I applied barely any pressure) and the stuff wiped up pretty easily. I didn't go at it thoroughly, I was just trying to see what I was dealing with. Here are some pictures after 30 seconds of wiping:

airbag4.jpg

airbag5.jpg

airbag6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom