Mystery Airbag/horn part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the infamous horn always on issue. But, in installing a new cruise control stalk, I noticed what I think may prove to be my problem, but I cant for the life of me find the replacement parts for it.

This is a little white plastic part, with copper contacts on each end, and a captured spring in the middle. There is one at each corner of the airbag and it operates to allow you to push the airbag down to activate the horn. My issue is that one of the corners is completely disintegrated, and I assume grounding the circuit out as it would be grounded if you were pushing the horn down. Does anyone know what these are called?
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.07.05 PM.png

IMG_6530.jpeg

Horn switch?

I also had this issue -
Unfortunately you can't buy the switch itself, only the whole airbag/horn assembly.
From Lexus new, it would be $1400
From Partsouq, $966, but they have none in stock.

I can't find a compatible horn switch/airbag assembly at the moment, so I isolated the screw with electrical tape from the metal bar that it was shorting to. I may if the snow lets up, see if similar age 4R's/Sequoias/Tundras use the same basic nylon/plastic switches at the junkyard to salvage a few pieces.

I also had this issue -
Unfortunately you can't buy the switch itself, only the whole airbag/horn assembly.

I can't find a compatible horn switch/airbag assembly at the moment, so I isolated the screw with electrical tape from the metal bar that it was shorting to. I may if the snow lets up, see if similar age 4R's/Sequoias/Tundras use the same basic nylon/plastic switches at the junkyard to salvage a few pieces.
I was afraid that might be the reason I couldn't find it. I may have to make a trip to a junkyard to see if I can find another Toyota with the same airbag to bum parts from.

How did you go by patching the system together with electrical tape? I'm assuming that if you push that one corner now nothing happens but the other corners actuate the horn as design?

I was afraid that might be the reason I couldn't find it. I may have to make a trip to a junkyard to see if I can find another Toyota with the same airbag to bum parts from.

How did you go by patching the system together with electrical tape? I'm assuming that if you push that one corner now nothing happens but the other corners actuate the horn as design?
I wrapped the bottom edge of the bolt head where it contacted the plate with electrical tape.
I do think the horn is still functional, since the actual switch is intact in that corner, it's just a bit harder to push on that side since the screw has a bit of electrical tape on it. For me, it's the top left corner, and since I'm right handed, I'm usually pushing on the right/center of the horn pad anyways.

I also had this issue -

You could buy a whole new steering wheel - A$999 + shipping for an aftermarket series steering wheel :)

(I was a bit sceptical, however they do state it comes with an engineering certificate)

PVS Basic.jpg

and it looks like there might be some colour options:
PVS Basic colours.jpg

Last edited:
Based on these pictures in this listing of an airbag out of a 4th Gen T4R looks very similar.

Update, I went to a junkyard and pulled the little spring-loaded contact clips from a 4th gen 4runner. LKQ charged me a grand total of $3.75 for the captured spring contacts and the metal plates they attach to. I now finally have a working horn.

Glad you found the part, and good to be aware of the cross-model compatibility!

For what it's worth, I have one of those PVS steering wheels from Australia on my wife's 2016 200 series, we had the delaminating leather issue common to the model year and rather than having it recovered, we replaced the wheel. They are SUPER nice quality, much nicer than OEM (at least in the 200).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom