whirring v-belts on LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the v-belts to the alternator on my 1996 LX450. A much tougher job than working my old FJ40!!! Once installed and adjusted, I started the engine and the previously quiet engine was whirring big time. Bad at idle...worse when revved up to 2500...not so much after 3000 rpm. Definitely coming from the drive belt region. I thought (and was told by an auto parts saleman) it was the alternator front bearings??? We put a newly rebuilt alt on and got the same sound. The new belts are the ribbed back kind (Gates). The factory belts were smooth backed. Could that be the problem? The pulleys all look in line, deflection is w/in tolerance (1/4"). Seems like a stupid problem...but I can't figure it out. I've already junked the old belts, so I can't put them back on. Do I just get genuine Toyota belts from the local dealership? I read that flipping the belt around to reverse the direction might fix noisey belts.??? Help!

Don't panic-what you have is the classic Gates belt whine. The non OEM belts are usually made by Gates and have Teeth on the drive portion of the belt. If you look, the old Toyota belts are smooth with no teeth. The teeth of the belt whine where they run over the idler pully on the front of the engine. Either learn to love the whine-the Gates belts are very high quality (also same as NAPA premium) and will give excellent service, or go buy new Toyota belts.

Now if you don't have toothed belts then look for an exotic problem like worn alternator bearings.

It's the belts. The idea of the ribs is to help control heat buildup in the belts by allowing some air to pass with the belt. Just changed my factories last month with 107k on them. Went factory again, hard to argue with 107k.

Rick

>> The new belts are the ribbed back kind (Gates). <<
>> Could that be the problem? <<

Yes.
-B-

Seems logical to me too. BUT...I just talked to a Toyota Service Tech and he thinks it's the main idler bearing. I just don't see why a simple belt change could produce a noise that wasn't there before. The only new element in the equation is the non-OEM belts. I think I'll go get some Toyota belts - I'm sure the dealership will want $100 for a $15 roller...of course they'll probably want $100 for the $12 belts!!! Where's a good online source for OEM Toyota/Lexus parts?

The $100.00 roller is a 16603-66010 it lists for $48.67
The alternator matched belt set is 90916-02353-83 list $12.99
The A/C belt 99332-10910-83 list $10.42

If you are running cogged belts on the alternator, they will probably make noise......................Dan

Dan,

Is the roller you mentioned the double pulley/bearing that provides dampling effect on the belts ? and it's also called the main idler ? :stupid: when it comes to identify the parts by what it's called :-[

Frank.

Frank,
I was refering to the "dampening " pulley. It offically is called a PULLEY SUB-ASSY, IDLER. if your counter person gives you a blank stare it's because it is located in an odd place in the catalog. It is listed in 11-06 TIMING GEAR COVER & REAR END PLATE.
there is an idler for the A/C belt also. It is a PULLY ASSY, IDLE. Part number 88440-26090. It sells for $27.23

There is no "main idler" that I am aware of.

Regards............Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom