Which type of gear oil is best??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FJ60 manual calls for 90w in the tranny and t'case.  I'm wanting to go with AMSoil, but AFAIK they don't make a 90w.  So, would running 80w-90w be ok?

Sean
I have found the most economical way to buy the gear lube is buying the 2 1/2 gallon containers. Its called the 2 1/2 gallon twin pack. This enough to do 2 cruisers. They seem to be fazing out the 80-90W as it is no longer offered in the "twin pack" . I'd go with the 75-90W this seems to be the latest and greatest they've got now. Should work great in your 60. It is what I'll be using next time I have ro order some.

The Manuel says to use SAE 90 not 90W.
If you have a LSD in the rear, You may as well use LS90 in the Gearbox and Transfercase aswell.

If Amsoil is so good why don't they have a proper Dealer Network in Australia?
Best Oil you can Buy is Penrite(Nothing comes close, Is also Owned and Made in Australia).  I use Valvoline. :p

Um...What's the difference between 90w and SAE 90? Thought they were the same. Maybe I'm buying the wrong stuff???

I will say I added Lucusoil to my tranny and transfer and the whine stayed the same, or perhaps even increased!

I'll be taking it out.

A mechanic friend has suggested 80/90 LSD oil mixed with Moly Oil.  That's my next project.
Are we talking about the same stuff? I'm talking about Lucas Oil Supplement, normally comes in one quart squirt bottles.

I have found the most economical way to buy the gear lube is buying the 2 1/2 gallon containers. Its called the 2 1/2 gallon twin pack. This enough to do 2 cruisers. They seem to be fazing out the  80-90W as it is no longer offered in the "twin pack" . I'd go with the 75-90W this seems to be the latest and greatest they've got now. Should work great in your 60. It is what I'll be using next time  I have ro order some.
How much for a 2.5 gallon twin pack? I thought $23 for a 5 gallon bucket was pretty good, and with a $50 industrial quality pump, you have very fast pretty cheap gear oil changes.

It was the Lucas Transmission Fix, Bailey.

How much for a 2.5 gallon twin pack?  I thought $23 for a 5 gallon bucket was pretty good, and with a $50 industrial quality pump, you have very fast pretty cheap gear oil changes.  

If you are looking for cheap stuff you are going to squirm on the amsoil. It is very spendy. figure between $7.00 and $8.00 a quart depending on the quantity. When I order the stuff I try not to think too much about how much it costs. The cruisers sure like it though. I've turned a couple of cruiser pals on to this stuff and they are very happy with the results. I figure I'm investing a little of the labor I save by doing it myself into using the best available product.

Um...What's the difference between 90w and SAE 90?  Thought they were the same.  Maybe I'm buying the wrong stuff
SAE 90 and LS90 are straight Viscosity Oils.
90W is the Winter Viscosity of a Oil and will have 'Polymers' that extend it out to another Viscosty at a higher Temperature(Like to 140).

I use Coastal. It has worked in every vehicle I have ever owned with no problems.

If you are looking for cheap stuff you are going to squirm on the amsoil. It is very spendy. figure between $7.00 and $8.00 a quart depending on the quantity. quote] :eek: You're right. Maybe after I get my drivetrain the way I want it to stay for awhile I might start using that stuff, but until then....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom